First Cruise after TA Liberty

irishgal432

We experienced a huge delay in disembarking from our TA last Oct. There were a lot of ships in that morning and dealing with customs, many of those getting off, missed flights. We know of a few couples that didn't get off until after 11, it was after 10 before we were called and not out to the curb until 11. Our flight wasn't until 3:20 to the West Coast, so depending on where you live, I wouldn't book your return flight until after 1 PM.

Is it typical to have delayed disembarkation after returning from a TA? Since it will most certainly impact my embarkation, inquiring minds need to know!!!! Can anyone else comment on TA experiences, either disembark, or embark on it's return??? Thanks!

Is it typical to have delayed disembarkation after returning from a TA? Since it will most certainly impact my embarkation, inquiring minds need to know!!!! Can anyone else comment on TA experiences, either disembark, or embark on it's return??? Thanks!

Yes, it is typical for the disembarkation and customs process to take longer after a ship returns to the US after a TA. My understanding is that every crew member must go through customs, so this consumes customs agents that would normally be available to process guests. Some ports will assign extra agents, some will not, so that's why it's not possible to predict the impact.

Yes, it is typical for the disembarkation and customs process to take longer after a ship returns to the US after a TA. My understanding is that every crew member must go through customs, so this consumes customs agents that would normally be available to process guests. Some ports will assign extra agents, some will not, so that's why it's not possible to predict the impact.

Thanks for that information. We always arrive at the pier early and have boarded before noon on every cruise so far with the exception of a Jewel cruise that was delayed coming into port due to fog. Guess I will just hope for the best, and still plan on arriving at the usual time!

Going on our 4th TA next month. Third one w/RCI.

We never experienced any unusual delays due to itinerary.

Mind you, we always spend the night after the end of the cruise, so if there were any delays for the ones first in line that are in a hurry to get to airport, then we just wouldn't know.

But we've always been able to get off at 9:00ish.

Maybe we've been lucky.....?

I hope it's the exception and not the rule. We are boarding liberty on the 10th of november following her TA, so delayed disembark likely means delayed boarding for us ...had a very bad boarding experience on jewel in february (didn't board until 7 p.m. So pretty much lost the whole first day) so this makes me nervous!

I hope it's the exception and not the rule. We are boarding liberty on the 10th of november following her TA, so delayed disembark likely means delayed boarding for us ...had a very bad boarding experience on jewel in february (didn't board until 7 p.m. So pretty much lost the whole first day) so this makes me nervous!

We were on the first cruise after Liberty's TA last year. We arrived a the pier around 11:30, checked insight away and then waited about an hour to board, and that was in the first priority group. By the time we boarded, the line to check in snaked around the building. We sailed on time, so everybody was onboard in time for muster drill, but it was a long day.

On the Brilliance TA this year, we were scheduled to disembark at 8:45 and didn't get off the ship until about 9:30.

I think that you should expect a couple of hours' delay from your normal schedule, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

We were on the same TA sailing last year as Desert Cruiser (hi Gay & John!) and that disembarkation at FLL was the worst we ever experienced coming off a ship. In addition to being so many ships in port that day, it was grossly mismanaged, and we were seriously concerned about making our flight. The entire disembarkation process, from the crew on the ship, to the folks on the ground, was very disorganized. We were advised in advance not to book an early flight, and it's a good thing we listened to that advice....;)

We were advised in advance not to book an early flight, and it's a good thing we listened to that advice....;)

Just curious, did RCCL or your TA make the recommendation to not book an early flight, or did you make that decision on your own based on what you had heard?

Just curious, did RCCL or your TA make the recommendation to not book an early flight, or did you make that decision on your own based on what you had heard?

I don't use a TA anymore. I one of those control freaks who won't give up control of my ressie. I was advised to book a later flight than usual from folks on our roll call who had done previous transatlantic sailings. Since this was our first transatlantic cruise, I paid attention. Good thing I did. We typically book flights between 11 and noon from FLL to BWI, but I booked an afternoon flight for this trip. We did make it....:)

Hi Karen, I do hope we find you both again on a cruise, our LOS was enjoying meeting so many wonderful new friends. That made the crusie for us and seeing all those beautiful Ports.

niksmom, it is a rule for us, when doing a cruise needing flights, to never book one earlier then after 1 PM. We live on the West coast and generally find better connections home, unless we were to spend the night and leave early the next morning. Our flights for the TA Karen & I were on, were booked thru our TA and their consolidator, not the cruise lines. He got us a 1 way flight from Palm Springs to Barcelona for the two of us for $1228 total. We connected in PHX & Phil.

Thanks for the replies. I guess this is one of the many instances where CC advise comes in handy! I was curious if this was something RCCL recommended (in which case they would be acknowledging that it's an issue) and then I also assume for flights associated with a TA, they might deviate from their usual advise of booking flights after 12:00 p.m. to say after 2:00 p.m. for those departing from TA's.

I also book through RCCL direct, as well as make my own flight reservations so I will put this bit of info in my memory bank for the day I take a TA, which is on my bucket list!

I really would love to board as early as possible, but now that I know what to expect, I won't be disappointed if we board a bit later than usual!

Slightly off topic here but since many of you are very seasoned cruisers and have been on CC a while you may have come across the answer at some point.

Any idea if they have the same problem with the ships arriving back in Hawaii from Aussieland? Even though we're docked in Honolulu for a day before the actual sailing there's always that ~get on the ship asap~ mentality... if it has been a problem in the past we'll just hang out at the pre-cruise hotel a while longer before moving in on the ship!

Beth following our NZ cruise, we will be sailing back to Honolulu so imagine we will be going thru customs again, but since we will be spending a few days on Ohau, we won't be in any rush. We usually get to the terminal by 11 to board ourselves. From what others have told me who have done TA's, the LOS one last Oct was not the norm. There are delays yes, but ours was complete chaos. Another thing that made ours so bad, everyone was standing in the hallways, lounges etc so those called to get off couldn't get thru. The backup was from the gangway going out the ship all the way back. People were stuck in the elevators because they couldn't get out. I would love to do another TA and that one will probably go more smoothly.

Archived