For all you seasoned Europe/Mediterranean cruisers.....

ramrax4

I was the first to post about going straight to Barcelona and after reading all these posts, this is what I suggest.

It's based on alot of assumptions so bear with me.:D

1) you're not going back (you will, but maybe not him;))

2) you want a taste of each city

3) reasonable cost is not going to impact once in a lifetime trip

Suggested itinerary:

1) arrive early in London (3-4 days) & stay in the Victoria station area

2) do your 1st cruise RT and end up in Dover. Take the Paris excursion when in Le Harve.

3) fly to Barcelona after the 1st cruise and spend the time there before boarding 2nd cruise. Take the best excursion available (to see your hi-lights) for Rome.

4) I would plan to stay in Venice a couple of days after the cruise (or travel to Rome or any other parts of Italy)

Summary: You're not going to see anything indepth on this whirlwind tour but you can get "a taste of Europe". Hopefully this taste will excite your DH enough to go to Europe again or other parts of the world.

I didn't think I would go back this soon either but I'll be there in 4 weeks.:)

If you have definetely decided to get off in Le Havre, then I would go to Paris.......BUT, if you stay on and go back to Southampton, I would spend the extra time in Barcelona...Yo have a short time to enjoy. You do not have alot of time to really enjoy any of them to their fullest, Paris, Rome, or Barcelona, but the less travel you do the better. If you have time at the end of the trip, go to Rome...:):)

I got a good price to fly into and out of Rome for a cruise in October/November. Our cruise starts in Rome but ends in Venice. We are renting a car in Venice and driving to Rome. It's not too far and your husband may prefer that to taking a flight. The rates to rent a car from Kemwel are excellent - check it out. You would get to see some of Italy and not have to fly.

Wendy

You are choosing between 3 of the best cities in Europe, all are fascinating and can easily take 2 or 3 days of intensive sightseeing. My personal choice in you position would be to go from Dover to Barcelona because otherwise most of you time will be taken up in travelling.

If time was not an issue my favourite city is Paris closely followed by Rome and Barcelona. I have been told by many non-French speakers that they found Parisians unhelpful, I have never had this problem as I speak French fluently, I also never had a problem in Rome whenever I have visited there but again I speak fluent Italian. I speak zero Spanish but found that the people in Barcelona usually spoke some English so if you think that language may be an issue I can recommend Barcelona.

If there's one thing I learned planning land vacations especially in Europe, is to pace yourself and allow a full day for travel. Travel always eats into a good chunk of the day, even if it involves only a one hour flight. By the time you reach your destination and settle yourself in a hotel (usually not available until 2 or 3 PM), most of the day is gone. If we want to stay 2 days, we allow an extra travel day. This way we're more refreshed and can enjoy the city for a full 2 days.

In your case, as much as I know you would want to see Paris, I think your itinerary is too rushed. Also, it's best to arrive to the cruise port one day ahead. I would spend the time in Barcelona. It's truly a beautiful city- been there 4 times and plan to see it again.

In case you haven't booked your flights so far, another suggestion is to fly to Paris, spend a couple of days there and then catch the Chunnel train to England for your British Isles cruise.

I think the less stressful would be to fly from London direct Barcelona and spend the time in Barcelona and just do an all day ship's excursion to Paris from Le Havre if you want. This way you don't have all the hassles with luggage/trains/airplane/security either via the Paris or Rome overnights. It's a lot to do in 2/3 days. Not recommended IMO.

If you want to see more of Rome then take the Italian high speed train from Venice to Rome (5 1/2), through the Italian country side, spend a few days in Rome and then fly home from Rome.

I did the overnight train once and it wasn't the best experience so I'm not keen on you doing the Paris to Barcelona train. It's dark and you can't see anything anyway. If you fly you have to factor in the time and hassle getting from your hotel to the airport which is outside of the city and all the passport and security issues. That will significantly take up time.

The reality is you are doing two B2B cruise and you are going to see so much that you simply can't see and do everything. It's just impossible. The simpler you keep in; the better.

I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful input and suggestions. This is what we have decided:

Sept 11-25th

We are arriving in London 3 days pre-cruise and have booked the Sanctuary House Hotel. Private transfer with sight seeing has been pre-arranged for embarkation in Dover.

On the 25th

We have booked The Hotel Curious in Barcelona for 2 nights pre-cruise.

I have decided that staying in Venice at least 1 night after the cruise would be in our best interest.......so I am hoping DH will one day want to return, if not I will be more than content to savor every moment of this fantastic trip.

Again thank you for all of your help:)

I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful input and suggestions. This is what we have decided:

Sept 11-25th

We are arriving in London 3 days pre-cruise and have booked the Sanctuary House Hotel. Private transfer with sight seeing has been pre-arranged for embarkation in Dover.

On the 25th

I have decided that staying in Venice at least 1 night after the cruise would be in our best interest.......so I am hoping DH will one day want to return, if not I will be more than content to savor every moment of this fantastic trip.

I think your final choices will give you a less stressful vacation. When in Venice, take a Gondola ride under the Bridge of Sighs and plant a "wet one" on him. How can he not want to come back after that.:)

A local legend says that lovers will be granted eternal love and bliss if they kiss on a gondola at sunset under the Bridge Of Sighs.

Also throw a few coins into Trevi Fountain while in Rome. He'll get the hint if you throw a handful of coins and explain the legend to him.:D

The most beautiful and important fountain in Rome is also one of the most romantic, and we all know the legend of the Trevi Fountain: making a wish by throwing a coin over your shoulder will bring you back to Rome.

If you are looking to maximize time in London, might I suggest booking the folks at Classic-England as guides. We used them in 2007 and covered a lot of ground without overtaxing ourselves.

Sept 11-25th

On the 25th

Archived