For all you seasoned Europe/Mediterranean cruisers.....

ramrax4

We have 2 cruises booked for Sept 2013. The first one is 12 days British Isles with 2 days pre-cruise in London and the 2nd cruise is the Western Medi departing from Barcelona and debarking in Venice.

Here's the dilemma......we will have 2 full days between the 2 cruises, 3 if we get off the ship in Le Harve, and I can't decide where we should spend them so I thought a few of you might have some great input where our time would be best spent.

My thoughts are since we will only be in Port for 1 day in Rome, actually only 6 hrs due to the travel involved to get there from port, that 2 extra days in Rome would be great. The other option would be to stay in Paris for those 2 extra days.

This will involve either 2 extra flights between our destinations or we could use the train for part of the travel, the train makes me slightly nervous.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreaciated. This will be our first and most likely only trip to Europe. I really want to get this ironed out soon so we can book our airfare.

My choice would be Rome. I've seen many sights in the 12 cruises I've been on. The one single event that I will remember more than anything else is when I stood inside the Coliseum in Rome. Words cannot describe how awesome this was.....:):):)

Bob

I would personally just spend the extra 2 days pre-cruise in Barcelona. I wouldn't want to spend the extra days travelling and being stressed out with meeting flight times etc. 2 extra flights means a least 12 hours lost to checking in, waiting, flight time, & getting to and from your hotel.

Barcelona is a great city which we took 4 days to see comfortably.

Take the "flight money" saved and book the best ship's excursion in Rome. We took the Imperial Rome Tour as the tours bypass the lines at the Coloseum and St Peter's. You'll see more this way and not have the stress of getting back to the ship on time. (the 4 course lunch with wine was good too!)

Being your first trip to Europe, "you've got to know your limitations" as it's not like North America.

I think you will find the travel back and forth to Rome very tiring and will cut into the time you have for touring.

I would either go to Barcelona and spend the time in that area or, if you get off the ship in France, stay in Paris and take a train to Barcelona.

Personally, I think travelling to and from Rome would use up too much time if you only have 2 days, or 3. I would go to Paris, or better still, spend the extra days in Barcelona. It is a beautiful city with lots to see.

Maybe I am just dense.........is your first cruise ending in London and the second beginning in Barcelona?

So you would leave the ship in LeHarve before arriving in Southhampton?

You would fly to Rome between cruises?

I would say that "2 full days" between cruises would get eaten up very quickly by transportation time. I would fly from London to Barcelona and spend the extra days there. It is a great city to get around in, lots of sights, restaurants, etc. We have been there 4 times and would go back again. You will have less than 2 days to see Paris or Rome and they really need a lot more time. You will go back, you just can't see it now maybe.

As far as what to see, Rome would be at the top of my list, BUT I wouldn't do it. Logistically, it just does not work.

I will assume the Isles cruise is also disembarking in London. From there, you will need several hours to get to another destination. Given you want to be in Barcelona a day before cruise #2, that pretty much leaves you one day in Rome and a lot of extra hassle in terms of changing hotels.

Barcelona is also a lovely city from what I have been told, our first visit is coming up this week so I cannot speak to specifics, but what I would do is:

From the Isles cruise, fly direct to Barcelona. Spend 2 days exploring the city (there are several reputable private tour companies - I will not recommend the ones we are using until we well, use them). Based on my research there is MORE than enough to cover 2 days.

On the ship, use a private tour company for Rome. The price is comparable to the ships tours if not cheaper and the agenda covers more. For less than the big ship tour on our RCCL run, we will be in a group of 8 and have a private Vatican guide.

If you have three days and are getting off the ship in Le Havre I would take the train to Paris. It is just two hours and the trains in Europe are great and you will get to see something of the countryside on the way. Do not be anxious about the trains in Europe, they are better than Amtrak. If this is your only trip to Europe, it would be a real shame to miss Paris, arguably the most beautiful city in the world. I would then take the train to Barcelona and see more countryside along the way.

If you have just two days and leave the ship in Dover, then I would just spend the extra time in Barcelona, which is a very beautiful city and well worth a couple extra days. You really do not have enough time to get to Rome and then on to Barcelona in just two days. Besides, you will be seeing Rome on your cruise.

Maybe I am just dense.........is your first cruise ending in London and the second beginning in Barcelona?

So you would leave the ship in LeHarve before arriving in Southhampton?

You would fly to Rome between cruises?

I would say that "2 full days" between cruises would get eaten up very quickly by transportation time. I would fly from London to Barcelona and spend the extra days there. It is a great city to get around in, lots of sights, restaurants, etc. We have been there 4 times and would go back again. You will have less than 2 days to see Paris or Rome and they really need a lot more time. You will go back, you just can't see it now maybe.

Actually you're not being dense and I appreciate your input very much. To answer your question, we are sailing RT from Dover not Southhampton, Departing on Sept 13th returning on sept 25th.

On Sept 24th our last port of call will be LeHarve bound for Paris so if we jump ship on the morning of the 24th we could stay in Paris from the 24th-26th and take the night train to Barcelona arriving on the morning of the 27th for boarding on the Royal. Since the ship does not depart until 7pm that night we would have time to board, have some lunch, catch a nap and then do some sight seeing in Barcelona.

I do realize that the schedules of both cruises are port intensive and expect to be thoroughly exhausted.

The reason I don't think we'll make it back to Europe is because my DH hates flying so I think once he gets thru with this trip I'll probably never get him on another ta flight, lol:D. That's why I decided to book a b2b. It wasn't easy finding 2 cruises that had the ports we wanted and dates that would work.

We could always stay overnight in Venice, head to Rome and tac on 2 days after the cruise.

If you have just two days and leave the ship in Dover, then I would just spend the extra time in Barcelona, which is a very beautiful city and well worth a couple extra days.

You really would not have two full days. Going from Dover to the airport and flying to Barcelona and then to a hotel will take up one of the two days.

I agree with the suggestion to just spend the extra time in Barcelona. I've been to both Paris and Rome and, although both are fascinating and beautiful cities, you'll need much more time to do justice to either of them. Especially since you'll have to deduct travel time. Barcelona is a great city, with lots to do and a very up-beat, vibrant atmosphere. You could easily spend two days just people-watching on Las Ramblas! I do hope that you can convince your DH to go back to both Rome and Paris at some point, however. Both are well worth the trip. By the way, I did the 12 night British Isles cruise a couple of years ago. You're going to love it! :)

Norm

You really would not have two full days. Going from Dover to the airport and flying to Barcelona and then to a hotel will take up one of the two days.

You seem to like correcting and misinterpreting quotes. I never stated she would have two days in Barcelona. I stated she could spend the "extra time" in Barcelona because she would have two days between cruises if she disembarks the first cruise in Dover. The two days includes her travel time.

Agree to spend the time in Barcelona rather than flying around which takes alot of time and is a big hassle...my guess is that there might be an excursion to Paris from your port stop in LeHavre which will give you a little peek at this beautiful city. Love your last idea about tacking extra time on at the end and perhaps doing Rome then after Venice.

I would spend the extra time in Barcelona. I have been twice for cruises and want to spend even more time there. Be sure and see Sagrada Família Church, Park Güell, Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum and spend an evening on the Ramblas. There are dozens of other don't miss sights. You are doing two port intensive cruises in a row. Don't wear yourself down further with excessive travel and stress.

I have done both of these cruises and agree that you should go directly to Barcelona from Dover. It is a wonderful city to visit! You will get a taste of Paris on a day trip during the cruise and you and your husband will be enchanted enough to want to go back again! You will be in Rome also and a good tour will give you ideas for a return trip to see what you missed after you arrive in Venice. I would head to Rome for 2 days at the end of your cruise.

This is an ambitious itinerary. We went on each cruise in a separate year and both cruises are so port intensive that we needed a vacation from the cruise!:D

I never had much of a desire to visit Europe because I like to cruise in the islands. My hubby was the one that picked the Med cruise. I was forever hooked!:D You will want to go back! We have been there 3 times and I am longing for more.

Assuming you haven't booked flights yet, I would do that (Venice to Rome).

Actually, if budget and time allows, I would fly in to London to start your trip. After British Isles get off at LeHavre go to Barcelona by train or other method of choice and explore and relax and recover. From Venice, then go to Rome, then Paris, then back to London, all by train... Fly home. Time spent in Rome/Paris will be subject to the aforementioned budget and time.

That said, you don't want to do that itinerary with a Ton of luggage.

Actually you're not being dense and I appreciate your input very much. To answer your question, we are sailing RT from Dover not Southhampton, Departing on Sept 13th returning on sept 25th.

On Sept 24th our last port of call will be LeHarve bound for Paris so if we jump ship on the morning of the 24th we could stay in Paris from the 24th-26th and take the night train to Barcelona arriving on the morning of the 27th for boarding on the Royal. Since the ship does not depart until 7pm that night we would have time to board, have some lunch, catch a nap and then do some sight seeing in Barcelona.

I do realize that the schedules of both cruises are port intensive and expect to be thoroughly exhausted.

The reason I don't think we'll make it back to Europe is because my DH hates flying so I think once he gets thru with this trip I'll probably never get him on another ta flight, lol:D. That's why I decided to book a b2b. It wasn't easy finding 2 cruises that had the ports we wanted and dates that would work.

We could always stay overnight in Venice, head to Rome and tac on 2 days after the cruise.

Wow! Rome, Paris, Barcelona....what a decision. How much time do you have before and after the cruise? If time is not a factor, I would do Barcelona and then Venice to Rome. Paris sounds too rushed and really not enough time for travel and sight seeing. I bet your husband after this might not mind a trip back to Paris. Or how about Paris for a few days after Rome? Of course, I am counting on money and time not being a problem. Hey, you are in Europe, make the most of it.

I agree that you should spend the extra time in Barcelona. It's an exciting city, and you'll welcome the time you have there without having to rush from place to place.

A wonderful private tour company for Rome is Rome Cabs! Stefano, who is the owner, was our guide. He's the best in the business!

If you arrive by train in Barcelona, what time will you arrive? I think you are stretching the time available by a lot..Check in, dump your luggage and grab a snack, then head right out to see Barcelona. If you take a nap, you will not have any time to seeing the city. the port is by downtown, but it is not right where you can walk into the city. It will be a hike. Plus, they will want you back onboard for the muster drill, which will probably be around 5pm, to get it in before early seating. Skip Paris and go straight to Barcelona. EM

I agree with the majority of other posters - 1st preference would be go directly from Dover to Barcelona and spend the 2 nights there. Less travel, less stressful and Barcelona is a great city where you can easily fill 2 days.

If seeing one of the other cities was a must do I would disembark in Le Harve but not take the overnight train to Paris, instead taking an early morning flight from Paris to Barcelona. With time being such a precious commodity between cruises I think an extra evening in Paris is a much better option than a night on a train IMHO. This would give you a 3 night stay in Paris which would allow you to see and experience a decent amount of the city rather than just a very quick glimpse.

Forget Rome between cruises as too much extra travel and you would only scratch the surface of things to see and do there. If you have the time, going there after you disembark in Venice is a much better option. There are usually also better flight options from Rome - for instance you could fly direct Rome - L.A. then connect to Reno. If flying from Venice you would quite likely need another flight change in Europe, so this may be better for your DH.

Enjoy Europe!

Cheers

Ando

I am forturnate to be able to travel to Europe frequently, actually 8 weeks there split between 2 trips this year.

With this poster, not likely to return frequently. I suggest they do get off the ship a day early and spend the extra time in Paris and then going direct to Barcelona. ADD the Italy time at the end. This gives you a look at Paris, which is well worth the time to see.

This avoids the time consuming short flights (and if using Easyjet/Flybe etc, avoiding the strict added restrictioins and costs)

Archived