Review: Ben the Bendy Man's Stellar Star Adventure Sept 23 - Sept 30, 2012

kylenyc

Quick Rewind - A little more on Day 4 in St. George

I just wanted to insert a map of St.George and some more tips. Unfortunately I can't go back and edit old posts.

st-george-map-marked.PNG

Tips:

"Follow signs for" the tourist information center in King's Square

Green path shows where we followed the walking tour from the ferry to the Deliverance and caught the free bus to Fort St. Catherine. I'm not sure exactly where the official bus stop is so ask around.

Blue path shows where we returned from the Fort St. Catherine, Tobacco Bay, and the Unfinished Church, and stopped in the supermarket. You can of course start your walking tour from King's Square and we saw many people walk up the Duke of Kent Street.

• It can be a fairly steep uphill walk for some to the Unfinished Church coming from King's Square or Tobacco Bay.

Ben didn't visit Hamilton or explore the Royal Naval Dockyard on this trip so here's again the link to maps and schedules he used for your convenience.

Here's the link to the official tourist maps and brochures from the Bermuda Department of Tourism including Royal Naval Dockyard. The maps though are inside the larger tourist brochure files.

Here's the link to the official bus & ferry maps and schedules from the Government of Bermuda.

Day 6 - Friday, September 28, 2012

Ben woke to another gorgeous sunny morning refreshed and recharged. Bendy man doesn't require batteries but made sure his camera and extra batteries were fully charged the night before. He had been eating far too well over these past few days so he skipped breakfast. Instead he packed away all his saved up Lattitudes pillow chocolates, sunscreen, beach towel, bottle of water, and off he went to catch the morning bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach.

DSCF0427b.PNG

View from Star's promenade down Heritage Wharf on a sunny day

(Blue) Another ticket booth; (Green) Ferry to St. George and bus stops.

When Ben arrived at the bus stops looking for the #7 bus to Horseshoe Bay, a friendly driver asked us where we were going and immediately directed us onto an awaiting bus marked "Special". It seemed that Bermuda Transportation was running extra buses to the beach.

After a 1/2 hour drive, Bendy man and fellow passengers were dropped off at a bus stop at the top of a hill. It was then a short 5 min walk downhill to the beach which could be a difficult steep walk for some. Another small bus was offering rides down to the beach for $1 and back up hill for $2. Extortion!

For convenience, Norwegian Shore Excursion offers a "Horseshoe Bay Beach Transfer" bus to the beach for $30 so you can avoid having to worry about bus fares. The excursion says "pier to sand" so maybe they will drive you down the hill as well. Ask ShoreEx for details.

Snapshot-20120923-1115.PNG

Zipping by another bus at full speed with inches to spare

As mentioned previously, many Bermudian roads have sections that are winding, with no shoulder, and high walls/hedges that hide driveways and intersections. Notice how close our bus passed by another stopped bus. Ben recommends you "Keep all hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times!"

Although the speed limit is only 35 kph (21 mph) it sure seems like we were going much faster. Riding the bus can be a roller coaster adventure and it's no surprise that gifts shops sell "I survived the Bermuda bus ride" t-shirts. Some operators do drive slower and smoother than others.

DSCF0463.PNG

Ben gets jostled around on the fast winding bus ride.

Horseshoe Bay Beach has changing facilities and a concession stand where you can rent a beach umbrella and lounger. Ben's new friends had told him yesterday that they even helped carry it down the beach and pitch the umbrella into the sand. There were lifeguards on duty.

DSCF0472.PNG

Horseshoe Bay Beach

DSCF0475.PNG

Less crowding further down the beach.

(Continued)

Day 6 - Horseshoe Bay Beach, sunbathing and beachcombing (continued)

Ben unwisely takes the off-beaten track

Now Ben was curious in nature and he wanted to explorer the secluded picturesque beaches further east along the shore.

Some neighboring beaches have no changing or bathroom facilities, and no lifeguards on duty. Ask the lifeguards at Horseshoe Bay if you decide to go. Chaplin Bay is the nearest beach is a one mile walk but may feel longer on a hot humid day. Some sections of beach also have a strong undertoe.

Warning and disclaimer: If you wish to reach neighboring beaches, take the established sandy path and first speak to the lifeguards at Horseshoe Bay. Do not attempt to directly follow the rocky shoreline which leads to slippery paths and sharp outcroppings of rock. There are sandy paths to the top of the cliffs for picturesque views and photo ops but be ready to turn back as the path turns narrow and rocky. Although there is seemingly a path through the rock cliffs, and you may even see people disappear into it, it's dangerous with rocks slippery with algae and sharp volcanic rock. If you slip and injure yourself, no one will know you are there. Ask the lifeguards for information.

That being said, Ben was naive enough to attempt a hike to neighboring Chaplin Bay along the shoreline. At first the path was easy but gradually turned narrow, rocky, and slippery. Although Ben was very careful to take firm hand and foot holds while moving across rocks, looking back if he had gotten even mildly injured, no one would be there to assist him or know he was even there. Fortunately all went well and had a fabulous time exploring some hidden coves. Needless to say, he took the established sandy path back to Horseshoe Bay.

DSCF0482.PNG

DSCF0497.PNG

Ben takes a skinny dip.

DSCF0499.PNG

Ben falls asleep on the beach. Good thing he's naturally SPF 40.

DSCF0506.PNG

Ben wakes to the sound of high tide.

DSCF0500.PNG

Pink coral sand. Ben promises his butler a raise.

(Continued)

Ben unwisely takes the off-beaten track

See previous disclaimer and warning...

DSCF0516.PNG

A lost reminder of Bermuda's treacherous shores.

DSCF0522.PNG

Looking back, Ben makes it to one of the many hidden coves.

DSCF0527.PNG

Ben makes it through to another hidden cove.

DSCF0531.PNG

Ben takes a much needed rest and breather.

DSCF0535.PNG

Crossing a small but slippery ravine.

DSCF0536.PNG

Ben reaches Chaplin Bay.

(Continued)Tomorrow: Finishing up Day 6 - Returning to the ship. Ben spends an evening with new friends, sailing home.

Great review Looking forward to meeting you on the Gem in December Suzanne
Thanks Suzanne. Looking forward to meeting you too. Looks like we have a fun roll call going. :D

Kyle, like everyone else who's been following your adventures, I'm greatly enjoying your descriptive and informative review! And thanks for the "honorable mention." :)
Thanks Shelli! Glad you like it. Meeting people from CC like you and Marc was what really made the trip more than quote "excellent" but fabulous.

Looks like I'll have to wait until I get back from my Star cruise next Sunday to read the rest but that's okay. The quality is what's important and I'll have something to look forward to when I get post cruise syndrome.

Sorry cruise pup. I tried. Each post takes me an hour or two to write, edit and select pictures. Hope you have a fantastic trip!

Such an entertaining review-I loved Bendy walking on the beach LOL

Thanks boopsahoy! Ben got a curious on looker who was wondering what was going on. His footsteps kept getting washed away and he kept tipping over but he wasn't intoxicated. Honest! :p

Ben, you need to fire your assistant, he nearly got you drowned on the beach!!:eek:

But I will say this, I enjoy your wit, photos, and the review. Can't wait for the rest, and to think I almost ignored this thread completely!:rolleyes:

Ben returns to the Star

Ben finished his time at the beach in Chaplin Bay some much needed breather and some sun bathing, then make a slow sandy trek back to Horseshoe Bay and uphill walk to the #7 bus. He had a fantastic time and gazed off into the distance, sighing as he enjoy the scenic return bus ride, trying not to be reminded that his vacation was slowly coming to an end.

We met up friends at Gatsby's, dinner, and the evening show with Sharkbait. If you like offbeat physical comedy and juggling, they are not to be missed. They participated in several events throughout the cruise including the Welcome Aboard show the first evening, a cooking competition, hosted a juggling class, and hosted a Q&A about their lives in the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey and life on board Norwegian.

DSCF0540.PNG

Returning to the Norwegian Star

DSCF0547.PNG

Ben decides to try the Canadian favorite - A Bloody Caesar. Canadians will be glad that the Star stocks Calamato.

DSCF0548.PNG

He forgets to ask Aan to be gentle. He asks the barkeep to top it off with Bloody Mary mix which is still his favorite..

DSCF0550.PNG

The blue crab cake was awesome. Ben asked for another.

DSCF0553.PNG

The Steak minion was tender and very tasty.

(Continued)

Ben returns to the Star

We returned to Gatsby's after the show and Ben's new friends Rob and Barb surprised everyone will a gift - A little frog to keep each of us company on future vacations. Even though we still had another day at sea, Ben got a little early pre post cruise withdrawal knowing he'd be leaving his new friends soon.

DSCF0557.PNG

Rob and Barb pose while Ben plays leap frog

DSCF0558.PNG

Regina and Ben

DSCF0559.PNG

Pat and Ben

DSCF0573.PNG

Ben's going to miss his towel animals too.

(Continued)

Ben returns to the Star

We returned to Gatsby's after the show and Ben's new friends Rob and Barb surprised everyone will a gift - A little frog to keep each of us company on future vacations. Even though we still had another day at sea, Ben got a little early pre post cruise withdrawal knowing he'd be leaving his new friends soon.

DSCF0557.PNG

Rob and Barb pose while Ben plays leap frog

DSCF0558.PNG

Regina and Ben

DSCF0559.PNG

Pat and Ben

DSCF0573.PNG

Ben's going to miss his towel animals too.

(Continued)

Awesome review and very cleaver

Suzanne

Day 7 - At sea, sailing home

Ben awoke still smiling from the excellent day before. The vacation was nearing an end but there was still some fun to be had and highlights ahead. Even after a day of hiking and evening's fun, he managed to wake in time for breakfast and headed to the buffet.

DSCF0574.PNG

A much discussed and coveted self-serve station - No bacon police.

With all the hubbub over over some other cruiselines having bacon police, Ben couldn't understand the fuss and ended up only picking three slices anyways. The bacon was meaty and fairly lean, but the taste wasn't much to celebrate.

DSCF0575.PNG

Ben enjoys his made to order egg white omelet, smoked salmon, and fresh cantaloup from the Garden Cafe buffet.

Ben enjoyed his breakfast poolside and then went for stroll around the ship. He ran into Robin and Carol from CC relaxing and enjoying some free popcorn in the Red Lion Pub. We sat down to chat and later decided to head over to the Stardust Theater for the Circus Q&A with Shark Bait. It was very interesting in hearing them tell stories about their lives in the Ringling Bros. circus, life on the road and with other cruise lines, and finally life aboard the Norwegian Star.

We then to headed over to the Blue Lagoon for a snack and picked up Pat along the way who was getting a drink at the Java Cafe. We were luckily just in time for the Towel Folding Demonstration! Afterward, we enjoyed the Crew Show featuring "Fountains" and Ben chuckled quietly to himself and didn't revealing any spoilers to his friends.

DSCF0577.PNG

In the Blue Lagoon overlooking the Grand Atrium, Java Cafe, and Towel Folding Demonstration.

In the evening, all gathered as a group for a pleasant dinner in Versailles. Ben had the Beef Stroganoff which had very tasty sauce and egg noodles but was ruined by some rock hard dry beef. He wasn't very hungry so didn't bother to send it back for a different dish. Dinner was followed by the evening show "Elements" featuring colorful acrobatics, modern dance, and magic, and finally a farewell by many officers and crew.

DSCF0579.PNG

Evening's show "Elements" which concludes with a farewell from officers and crew

(Continued)Tomorrow: Day 8 - Early morning sail into New York Harbor and return to Pier 88

Kyle, great review...keeping it in on my favorite places list, so I can refer back when planning some Bermuda outings from the Breakaway next summer!!

I was almost afraid to start reading it, thinking "Ben the Bendy Man" was some sort of double-jointed, cruise ship casanova ;)...lol! Ben seems to be the best travel compainion...and I bet he complains a lot less than my teenager :p

~Michele

Day 8 - Sunday, September 30, 2012

In the wee morning hours, after what felt like only a nap (because it was), Ben dragged himself out of bed and headed up to Deck 13 Forward for the sail into New York Harbor. The ship was eerily quiet as he made his way around. He took the elevator up only to find access access via the Garden Cafe and other areas closed off so he headed to the reception desk where he was directed to the elevators behind the Java Cafe.

Ben walked onto the pool deck before dawn to the sounds of the howling wind and the agitated flapping of the ship's maritime flags. He was surprised to see a few crew members up and about under the full moon - standing in doorways making cell phone calls to loved ones, straightening lounge chairs, and picking up discarded cups and plates. Ben stood and enjoyed the beautiful serene sail into The City that Never Sleeps and some somber moments as the ship seemingly drifted quietly past the hallowed grounds of two missing towers.

A disembarkation newsletter will be in the cabin the last evening which shows the expected arrival time in New York. Here's some approximate times to give you are rough idea of when to set your alarm if you want wake up to view the beautiful sail into New York. The Star was following the Gem into port, so the times could have been normally even earlier. It will be windy so dress for 10-20 degrees warmer than the weather forecast for New York.

"Scheduled Arrival Time" was 8:00 AM.

"Easy Walk of Disembarkation" would start at 8:15 AM

Pulled into Pier 88 at 7:15 AM.

Passing One World Trade Center at 6:30 AM

Passing the Statue of Liberty at 6:15 AM

Passing under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge at 6:00 AM

Ben up on Deck 13 at 5:30 AM

Ben kicking his photographer out of bed at 5:00 AM

After the Star pulled into Pier 88, Ben headed down to a quiet breakfast in the Versailles. On the last day, the main dining room is open for breakfast but only from 6:30 AM to 8:30 AM. The buffet was open until 9:00 AM. Check the disembarkation newsletter for places to have breakfast.

DSCF0587.PNG

Looking up at the radar tower from Deck 13 forward.

DSCF0592.PNG

Full moon over New Jersey.

DSCF0621.PNG

Approaching the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

DSCF0629.PNG

No one awake yet as we pass under.

DSCF0660.PNG

With silent lips, "Give me your tired, your poor

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

DSCF0691.PNG

A surreal silence passing the World Trade Center.

"We shall never forget."

(Continued)

Day 8 - Early morning sail into New York Harbor and return to Pier 88 (continued)

Caution: Wide turns. Do not pass on right... beep beep beep beep...

DSCF0758.PNG

DSCF0759.PNG

DSCF0761.PNG

DSCF0766.PNG

Upstairs in the pier there is a taxi stand. However, across the street from Pier 88 is convenient place to wait if you're waiting for your car service or family/friends to pick you up. The terminal may not allow cars to pick you up directly at the pier anyways. Watch out for speeding bicyclists and foot traffic as well as cars if you cross 12th Ave.

DSCF0773.PNG

Bus ride home. One of many curious stares that Ben got on his stellar adventure.

Epilogue

Ben returned home and quickly got busy poking and prodding his assistant to download pictures from the camera and start writing a review. He couldn't wait to tell everyone at Cruise Critic what a fantastic time he had aboard the Norwegian Star, the friendly hardworking crew, and the wonderful new friends from both from Cruise Critic and on board the ship.

After several hours of dictation and backseat typing for "Day 1", he settles into a freshly made bed of white cotton sheets, pillow chocolates, luggage tags, and the evening's Freestyle Daily, as he falls asleep dreaming of his next adventure.

DSCF0781.PNG

Ben at home in bed with reminders of his adventure, a big smile on his face, and a bit of a tan?

Thanks everyone for helping Ben relive his stellar adventure.

The End...?

This is a very inspiring review, and the best non-Epic solo review I have read!

It seems the entertainment on this particular sailing was superb.

Thanks. I guess a solo cruise is what you make of it and bit of luck that I met up with some nice people. Half of the enjoyment was meeting people and can't imagine what would've happened if I didn't join the roll call, plan ahead with other solos to meet up for dinner that first night, and head to the "Sailing Solo Get Together" every night. I didn't order room service once! It would have been nice if NCL had the bartender or a host to help break the ice. Otherwise you'd might not know who was there for it. I definitely had to step out of my comfort zone.

I've been on many NCL cruises including Epic so was very surprised by Star's crew and entertainment. Stan Sykes was amazing and Shark Bait were hilarious. New cruisers will be surprised by the acrobatic and broadway-style shows. Every night there's a show but I was also surprised to see shows in the afternoon too. I hope the crew and entertainment will get moved over to the Breakaway when it takes over the Bermuda run. They certainly deserve it. I'm really looking forward to my first solo studio experience on Breakaway.

Archived