crew wages?

vols159

It seems like it would be helpful to know this information, in case someone thought they might want to enter this field. I imagine the take-home of most of the staff is nowhere near what most Americans would expect for the amount of hours worked. Average salaries for a variety of positions in the U.S. are readily available. I want to know what the typical level of pay is for my type of position (accounting)...why is it so strange for someone to want to know what ship's crew makes? OP wasn't asking a specific individual, but rather typical averages.

Check out the two links in my post above. The first one gives some good information and the second link is a recruiters YouTube videos on information about the various jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

Do we not ask- What do teachers make? What do senators make? I think there is nothing remotely wrong with asking what room stewards make as a job. What does Joe the Room Steward make is a very different question.

Anyway- the amount that they are paid is very very little- the majority of their pay comes from tips. I read a court case from about 10 years ago concerning sick pay for an employee- don't remember the details. But at that time the pay was about $50 a week if I remember correctly. And if if I am off by 100 %- work it out. The $1,500 to $6,000 that is quoted in the article linked above must include tips.

I think it's a great question!!! People are curious about ship "life", etc. Some people on this board are just plain RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a buyer/planner/supervisor in Manufacturing and make $72,000 a year. Who cares???????????? Really people???????????????????:mad:

Does anyone know how much the crew makes on average

Wait staff?

Room Stewart?

Cruise staff?

I'm seeing a lot of discussion on this subject so, about 3 years ago, last I personally heard. one of the ladies at my table in the MDR on the Valor ask our head waiter what he made. Answer, was with tips, about 3.000 US a month. You guys can decide good,bad, or whatever. He was from Hungary and this was 3 years ago.

It seems like it would be helpful to know this information, in case someone thought they might want to enter this field. I imagine the take-home of most of the staff is nowhere near what most Americans would expect for the amount of hours worked. Average salaries for a variety of positions in the U.S. are readily available. I want to know what the typical level of pay is for my type of position (accounting)...why is it so strange for someone to want to know what ship's crew makes? OP wasn't asking a specific individual, but rather typical averages.

I'm with you. What's so offensive about asking what stewards make? I've never heard of any other field finding it offensive. It's not like OP walked up to someone and asked them how much do you make? It's a general question.

Our local IHOP (and most other establishments) pays about $3.25 per hour plus tips. In this case, tips must be reported at the end of the night. If the employee did not make enough for the week to equal minimum wage, the establishment was to pay the difference....I wouldn't be surprised if the stewards or wait staff made less per hour, hence the imposed tips. And I don't know Panamanian labor law so I don't know if there would be any difference to make up. However, let's go with this...

For example, if no one removed their tips, the average room steward would receive roughly $518 in tips alone for a seven day if divided equally between the steward and just one assistant (based on two persons per cabin at approx. 20 cabins per steward team of 2). I think our steward had more cabins than this but they work in teams so it's manageable. Some teams have more than 2 stewards. However, whenever I cruised, I was only ever introduced to just one assistant.

I don't know how many tables our wait staff members were assigned but they would average $162.40 to be divided up among the team per table of 4 for a week. Our last team had 3 members but we've also had just 2 before.

Hopefully, my math is correct and this will give you a ballpark idea.

Here is what I know:

1. They make more than what they would back home.

2. They make less than they deserve.

3. Most are happy they are getting what they earn.

4. We can all help and give them a raise with a bigger tip!

http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/wages/

"Wages / Salaries

The cruise ship staff is divided into two main groups - tipping personnel and non-tipping personnel.

Tipping personnel

Tipping personnel are the staff with direct contact with the guests who pay them "tips". There are specified amounts of tips per particular positions which are advised to guests prior to embarkation and which vary from one cruise line to another. Such personnel are waiters, busboys /assistant waiters, bar waiters/waitresses, bartenders, cocktail waitresses, etc. Tipping personnel have a small base salary. Most of their earnings are tips. Approximate sample earnings in this group are (in U.S. Dollars per month):

Waiter from $2500 to $4000

Busboy / Assistant Waiter from $1500 to $3000

Bar Waiter / Waitress from $1000 to $2500

Bartender from $1500 to $3000

Applicants must have a good command of English, good work experience and appropriate education to qualify for this group (the latter is not obligatory if the applicant has enough experience).

Non-tipping personnel

Applicants who do not have enough experience or do not have a very good command of English tend to be hired as non-tipping staff. They have a good chance of being promoted to tipping personnel later.

The non-tipping personnel on cruise ships are those who serve the crew, i.e. the lower positions in the passenger area - Staff Waiter/Waitress, Snack Steward, etc. They have fixed salaries without tips and their earnings are from USD 350 to USD 500 per week.

Income Tax

Salaries earned onboard cruise ships are not subject to income tax. However, citizens of some countries are eligible to tax all their income earned abroad. Read more about tax free income of cruise line employees."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

I'm pretty sure the crew does not have luxurious accomodations aboard the ship. Many of the stewards and waitstaff accept these working conditions because it is a little better than anything available back home. Many do indeed support other family members back home and they need steady, reliable earnings to maintain at least a minimal standard of living.

And Im sure you have never served in the military and are not aware of what we make or our living conditions. And what we do is not for any amount of money but is does allw you to enjoy your cruise vacation.

Do you know some sailors in the Navy HOT RACK. They dont even get their own quaters or bed. and the food we have to eat cruisers would complain about,

Also what the room stewards on a cruise ship make is alot more than we made. We never got tips.

Dont even get me started on what the Marines I served with sleep in and the food we ate. But we all made a choice to protect our great country.

Stop feeling sorry for these cruise employees they made a choice to make alot more money than they would have ever made at home.

You are joking I assume. In 2010 the average ship's captain made $85,000 to $140,000.

I read it on the internet. I cannot verify it. I must admit that I have zero knowledge of what a room Stewart earns. (never met anyone named Stewart on a ship)

I also cannot be concerned with how much they make. I do my share and they seem happy.

Does anyone know how much the crew makes on average

Wait staff?

Room Stewart?

Cruise staff?

Geez, some people on here are just plain rude!! I think this is a fair question since all we ever hear on here is how little the staff makes. Well, if they are taking home $3000 to $4000 per month with tips (as one of the previous posters has for some of the staff), then that is MORE than I am taking home. Yeah they are sending it home-but to poorer countries than the USA. Even if it is $2000 a month, its still way better than working in their countries, I assume. So, yes, they work HARD and they make GOOD money. I will not have pity parties for them.

This is an anonymous board-I make an average of $45000 a year--more with OT. Big deal--does that make some of you responders happy?? PFFT!!

I think the cabin stewards and the cooks average about 187,000 dollars US per year.

You are joking I assume. In 2010 the average ship's captain made $85,000 to $140,000.

The captains are really missing the boat so to speak! If they knew this I bet a lot of them would swap to stewards. :cool:

Geez, some people on here are just plain rude!! I think this is a fair question since all we ever hear on here is how little the staff makes. Well, if they are taking home $3000 to $4000 per month with tips (as one of the previous posters has for some of the staff), then that is MORE than I am taking home. Yeah they are sending it home-but to poorer countries than the USA. Even if it is $2000 a month, its still way better than working in their countries, I assume. So, yes, they work HARD and they make GOOD money. I will not have pity parties for them.

This is an anonymous board-I make an average of $45000 a year--more with OT. Big deal--does that make some of you responders happy?? PFFT!!

I don't pity them either. They work hard, yes, but they make good money, and on top of the money they make their room and board is covered. I appreciate what they do, and it's not a job I'd take, but I don't get all the pity parties people throw for them.

Are we posting salaries?? I'd post mine, but it's so small I lost it! :p:D

The captains are really missing the boat so to speak! If they knew this I bet a lot of them would swap to stewards. :cool:

I believe the Captains work a 10 week on 10 week off rotation

Just another reason why people are hesitant to post on these boards . If you don't have an answer for the question or something to contribute, why reply at all? Maybe people are curious and being "attacked" is just rude. It feels like some just wait around to "jump" at people's comments. Sorry but I had to get that off of my chest.

That's why I just read may post mostly not, because of the attacks. Because the things I would like to know most seasoned cruiser would attack.

Actually you asked a fair question and were entitled to non rude replies but as the Cruise Critic name implies, some people have to criticize on principal. Oh and yes I was in the Navy for a couple of year and served on a cruiser. Made very little money but saw more of the world than I ever thought I would. That you can't price in dollars but it certainly is some thing to consider. A couple of years on a cruise ship would be about the same.

You go Bingomamma! Well said!

I think there would be Americans in server positions if those wages were accurate, don't you? They probably do rely on tips just like your waitress at your local restaurant. Non tipping positions like the mechanics in the engine room are on a different pay scale (just like the cooks at your fav restaurant)

I actually think I should be tipping my waiter on the cruise more than the recommended since I eat 3-4 meals a day and their break down is what- $5 something for dining staff a day- divided by each meal....that's like $1.75 per meal per person for running me 3 courses and plenty of water and coffee......I know I tip more than $2 a meal when I go to a restaurant. Just sayin.

I don't pity them either. They work hard, yes, but they make good money, and on top of the money they make their room and board is covered. I appreciate what they do, and it's not a job I'd take, but I don't get all the pity parties people throw for them.

Are we posting salaries?? I'd post mine, but it's so small I lost it! :p:D

I guess you wouldnt work that hard to make that good money to support your family.Some people think different and have priorities

I guess you wouldnt work that hard to make that good money to support your family.Some people think different and have priorities

I work hard at a job I love. I work really hard, actually. I risk injury, and debilitating diseases. At my job I've gotten hit, spit on, bitten, scratched, kicked, had bloody scabs thrown at me, peed on, pooped on, thrown up on, and gotten more verbal abuse than the average waiter or room steward (gotta love psychs and demented patients) so I dare say that I do work hard. I routinely lift and move people with my partner that weigh ~350. We get a lift assist for anything over that. last week we moved someone who was 600lbs. Do 10 minutes of Good effective CPR and tell me thats not hard. Just as hard as they do. My pay is less. I am not going to throw a pity party for them. They work hard. But they get compensated well and free room and board. Good for them for making life better for themselves and families at home.

Your post was out of line.

I work hard at a job I love. I work really hard, actually. I risk injury, and debilitating diseases. At my job I've gotten hit, spit on, bitten, scratched, kicked, had bloody scabs thrown at me, peed on, pooped on, thrown up on, and gotten more verbal abuse than the average waiter or room steward (gotta love psychs and demented patients) so I dare say that I do work hard. I routinely lift and move people with my partner that weigh ~350. We get a lift assist for anything over that. last week we moved someone who was 600lbs. Do 10 minutes of Good effective CPR and tell me thats not hard. Just as hard as they do. My pay is less. I am not going to throw a pity party for them. They work hard. But they get compensated well and free room and board. Good for them for making life better for themselves and families at home.

Your post was out of line.

Great post. I think some people on here equate the crew of a cruise ship with a brain surgeon. The way people go on and on about how hard they work for no money. . . . Most of us out here have hard jobs, work hard, make little/decent money etc.

In the end, these jobs are not the most difficult to do by a long shot. Most do not need advanced education, I mean we are talking about cleaning, cooking, vacuuming and serving food. Long hours,yes--hard work,yes--more important than what anyone else does or better-NO.

I work on average 12-14 hour days-I work on insurance claims. I work hard. I get no tips, nor will I ever, no matter how good I do my job. Nor will most of us. Doesnt matter if our employers pay us little or great. But, I love my job and the benefits I get . So, I will continue-just as most people do.

Archived