crew wages?

vols159

Thanks! I wasn't attacked. I feel bad for the OP, and I don't understand why some people have to be so rude on here.

It is good to know how much they make. I will definitely tip extra.

Sounds like you will be tipping based on the individual, as opposed to the service they perform. Interesting concept.

Yes and you will see more :)

I paid my fare and the cruise lines should pay their employees salary people come out of the woodwork

$499 for the week should get you gourmet dinners every night ,broadway shows, steel drums on the lido deck ,it goes on and on and on

Is that fare before or after the FCC and OBC for ES? :)

Just another reason why people are hesitant to post on these boards . If you don't have an answer for the question or something to contribute, why reply at all? Maybe people are curious and being "attacked" is just rude. It feels like some just wait around to "jump" at people's comments. Sorry but I had to get that off of my chest.

---

Exactly.

I don't go on any vacation and wonder what anyone makes, from the person at the airline counter, to the stewardess, the captain, the bus driver, the luggage handlers, reception, the purser, the steward, waiters, captain or cruise director.

I suppose that would change if I were interested in one of those careers. And certain inquire how much higher education was involved as an investment.

An interesting note: I haven't seen anyone offer their salary here.

Then you haven't read the thread. Several people have in fact. And just because you don't wonder doesn't mean others don't. I wonder about many things- some relevant to my life, some not. One of the Sunday magazines publishes an article about this (what different jobs pay) every year. Assume it must be interesting to people or they wouldn't.

Maybe the OP and others here would like a cruise ship job with plenty of hard work for low pay that gets sent to family in suffering countries and be able to travel worldwide while watching the paying customers enjoy themselves?

Our business because we are constantly TOLD what to tip because they live on tips. I want to know if that is really true or a scam for higher tips.

On our last cruise, cabin boy broke down in tears the last night with a big sob story about sister in terrible accident and he was not allowed to take time off to console his "poor" mother or he would be fired. BUT he could console her with some cash. Coincidence that he expected tips that evening? I think not.

Not sure I like "cabin boy." That said, I'd report any steward or assistant that broke down crying in front of me. I'm on vacation and I can almost guarantee they make more money than I do.

Just another reason why people are hesitant to post on these boards . If you don't have an answer for the question or something to contribute, why reply at all? Maybe people are curious and being "attacked" is just rude. It feels like some just wait around to "jump" at people's comments. Sorry but I had to get that off of my chest.

Ditto.

I know several who work on cruise ships from Bali, Indonesia, Phillipines, etc. They can earn about 12 dollars per day at home doing the same work they are doing on the cruise ships. They make the sacrifice of being away from home and family so they can make a better life for themselves. Some save and invest most of their earnings while others spend and party. Some have worked the cruise ships for several years and have plans to retire young.

Sound familiar ?? Same as the USA ??

I have seen pics of some of their homes, and they are very nice. Of course, those who have invited us to their homes (if we ever get to their part of the world) are the people who save and invest.

It may shock you, but some do not go to their home towns while on vacation because they are considered wealthy and they take their families to other places to avoid the constant requests for money by "friends and acquaintances".

They don't want sympathy, they want you to let them know you like the way they perform their jobs. A positive note to the cruise line or their supervisor means a lot.

Their accomodations were better than what we had in the Navy, the only personal space that I had was my bunk and locker. And I shared quarters with 20 to 75 other men (depending on which ship I was on).

That is my view, also.

While a cruise ship itself sounds like a luxurious abode, why do you think the crew quarters are segregated and off limits to PAX. I never said anything about anyones hardships while choosing to serve in the military. I only stated the crew is not living a life of luxury. Previous poster was full of assumptions and I hardly feel sorry for any crew. Life is full of choices and I am truly grateful for both the military and crew that serve us.

We always pay the autotips for everyone in the cabin. I had a steward give me a sob story once too. We usually give an extra $20 at the weeks end and I felt this guy was preying for extra tips so I didn't give him an extra $20. I'm sure his story worked for others. If you hate your job on a cruise ship go home.

While a cruise ship itself sounds like a luxurious abode, why do you think the crew quarters are segregated and off limits to PAX. I never said anything about anyones hardships while choosing to serve in the military. I only stated the crew is not living a life of luxury. Previous poster was full of assumptions and I hardly feel sorry for any crew. Life is full of choices and I am truly grateful for both the military and crew that serve us.

That is a matter of perception. To you they aren't living in luxury. To me, they are, based on what I experienced. Whether each crew member feels that they are living a life of luxury or not is of course a matter of their own individual perceptions. That was the only point that I was trying to make.

Exactly. sadly its allowed and encouraged here. Other places that have reputations to worry about don't allow such things to happen but here its the norm.

Nothing wrong with being curious as to what a job might pay. I have watched guys working those huge cranes and wondered what they might make, or the salvage divers near me.

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with wondering about what a job pays.

Sadly many here are quick to attack a person over a mere question as folks are always suspecting an agenda by the poster.

Even more sad is you and I will be the ones getting warnings in this thread is any are given at all.

just another reason why people are hesitant to post on these boards . If you don't have an answer for the question or something to contribute, why reply at all? Maybe people are curious and being "attacked" is just rude. It feels like some just wait around to "jump" at people's comments. Sorry but i had to get that off of my chest.

amen!

Does anyone know how much the crew makes on average

Wait staff?

Room Stewart?

Cruise staff?

How much do you make? What is your job? How much does your spouse make? Can I see you look at your credit report? Bet you think these questions are rude? None of my business right? Ok, so what they make is their business and whatever they make, is ok by me.

Here is the living qtrs on the navy Destroyer I was on. My bunk is in the very back top next to ladder. My locker was next to the bunk and the bunk itself lifted up for more storage, why there called "coffin Racks". This pic was taken in 1989. the Destroyer was built in 1960s.

20845_1525020852432_1441963870_31378166_3731126_nnavy.jpg

Here is a pic of my ship in question, taken in Spain in 1989 while I was ashore.NavyDeploymentdays017.jpg

I bet you can cleary define the term "HOT BUNKING" !

How much do you make? What is your job? How much does your spouse make? Can I see you look at your credit report? Bet you think these questions are rude? None of my business right? Ok, so what they make is their business and whatever they make, is ok by me.

They asked a few simple innocent questions. Why get like that? Why the hostility?

Then you haven't read the thread. Several people have in fact. And just because you don't wonder doesn't mean others don't. I wonder about many things- some relevant to my life, some not. One of the Sunday magazines publishes an article about this (what different jobs pay) every year. Assume it must be interesting to people or they wouldn't.

I have read this thread.

And I have read many threads like it over the years.

If this interests you and some others, fine. I just question the need for such knowledge. I have no interest, and bears not in my decisions when I hand out tips. But I am of the belief they choose this profession as the yield is better than at home.

And if not, go home.

They asked a few simple innocent questions. Why get like that? Why the hostility?

Asking an individual what he or she makes is rude, asking what people in a particular industry make isn't. The OP's question falls into the latter category.

Archived