Polignano a Mare: Help, please!

maggie3

We will be in Polignano a Mare in mid-October, as a 1 1/2 hour stop on our way back to the ship from Alberobello. I know the town of Polignano is scenic, and we would like to make the most of the brief time we will have. What should not be missed or what sights should we visit? I'm hoping someone familiar with the town can please suggest a web site for a map of the town with landmarks depicted on it? I am hoping too that someone can please suggest an itinerary for a scenic walk? We leave in a week! Thanks.

Hi,

I'll try to give you as much info as possible, as we were here for the day from Bari this July. It is a beautiful beach resort, where people swim off rocks in the summer. We rented a paddle boat for the day and explored a lot of the grottoes and caves. The main city attraction is its old town crossed by a maze of lanes that stretch out on the sea with terraces. There is an "i" small tourist information sign near the beginning of the old town entrance and the lady inside gave us a map which showed the highlights. Also, near the town entrance there is a small bridge that you can walk over to see the entrance to the sea. We had the best pizza in a place called the "Solarium Cafe". Cross the bridge and walk about a city block to a square with the statue of Domenico Modugno, passing "Largo Gelato" where they serve ice cream cones filled with whipped cream, then ice cream then topped with whipped cream and a cookie. Its a Polignano a Mare specialty.

Have a great trip.

Hi,

I'll try to give you as much info as possible, as we were here for the day from Bari this July. It is a beautiful beach resort, where people swim off rocks in the summer. We rented a paddle boat for the day and explored a lot of the grottoes and caves. The main city attraction is its old town crossed by a maze of lanes that stretch out on the sea with terraces. There is an "i" small tourist information sign near the beginning of the old town entrance and the lady inside gave us a map which showed the highlights. Also, near the town entrance there is a small bridge that you can walk over to see the entrance to the sea. We had the best pizza in a place called the "Solarium Cafe". Cross the bridge and walk about a city block to a square with the statue of Domenico Modugno, passing "Largo Gelato" where they serve ice cream cones filled with whipped cream, then ice cream then topped with whipped cream and a cookie. Its a Polignano a Mare specialty.

Have a great trip.

Thank you, Susie. I did go online to find a map of Polignano with highlights, but did not find a good one that was printable. We will look for the "i" tourist information location on arrival. We will also check out the pizza and ice cream!

If you go to page three of my Splendour review in my signature below it will show pictures of what we saw. The map is crude but it shows the general area we were at including the statue of Domenico Modugno and the place we had the great gelato. The archway goes into what we were told was old town and it gets you over towards those beautiful cliffs. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Bill

8048845180_396fafeafa_b.jpg

Archived