Radiance Aft Experts - opinions needed please!

Hi everyone - just looking at booking a December 2013 cruise on Radiance. I have read and re-read all of the posts on aft cabins on Radiance, but still have a few questions. I would like to book one of the D2 category cabins on deck 10 or 9, and at this stage there are 6 available (although the favourite 9256 is gone!). The rooms that are available on deck 10 are - 1102, 1104, 1604. Then on deck 9 - 9260, 9660, and 9658.

Are the aft balconies on deck 9 much smaller than those on deck 10? Do the deck 9 balconies offer a bit more privacy from the outdoor bar area on deck 11? Is there are difference in room size?

Any help from people who have stayed in any of these rooms would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Hi everyone - just looking at booking a December 2013 cruise on Radiance. I have read and re-read all of the posts on aft cabins on Radiance, but still have a few questions. I would like to book one of the D2 category cabins on deck 10 or 9, and at this stage there are 6 available (although the favourite 9256 is gone!). The rooms that are available on deck 10 are - 1102, 1104, 1604. Then on deck 9 - 9260, 9660, and 9658.

Are the aft balconies on deck 9 much smaller than those on deck 10? Do the deck 9 balconies offer a bit more privacy from the outdoor bar area on deck 11? Is there are difference in room size?

Any help from people who have stayed in any of these rooms would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Rooms same size and balconies, pretty much too for 9 and 10, I stayed in 9260, HUGE balcony

IMG_1108-1-1.jpg

aftwcabins.jpg

hi, I have stayed in both 1102 and 1104. Brilliant. 1102 has a huge balcony. 1104 is even bigger. I heard a tiny bit of chair scraping very early in the morning...but am an incredibly light sleeper.

Go for these 2 rooms. Fantastic.

Raina

We’ve had 1102 and 1104 ( as well as 9256). We enjoy any aft cabin, especially on a ship the size of the Radiance as it is not a really long walk to mid ship or forward. Either will be a good choice. Ahh – that view is so wonderful.

The only minor issue we had was hearing folks talking at the windjammer railing when going through the Panama Canal. We could not hear any of the special narration over their voices. I went to our railing and asked them to speak a little more softly and they were apologetic. I don’t think folks realize how much their voices carry. At other times, we did hear a few folks at the Windjammer, enjoying outside breakfast, but that was NOT any problem for us.

I am also wary of soot and will often put a towel on the chairs or quickly wipe them down so I do not stain any clothing.

The balcony is private, but not at the railing or a few feet inward. Folks looking down from the windjammer railing will be able to look down and see a few feet of the balcony.

Enjoy

M

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I just got off the phone with the lovely staff at Royal Caribbean who were very helpful - and I have booked (drum roll)....9260!

Sue L, thanks for the photos, it helped make up our minds.

AussieVisi2r (Raina) - I would have preferred deck 10, but hubby thinks deck 9 is more private and less noisy. I am sure there is no great difference though. But we will still get a great Aft if a slightly smaller balcony.

Cruisegirl1, thanks for your input as well!

bajathree - 8168 was open, but I think it may be too sunny.

It is so hard to choose when so many great cabins are still open for booking!!

We've got the same booked on the Jewel for November. I am keeping an eye out in the event the JS 1100 or 1602 become available. Or 9256. I am happy with ths choice--but like to scout around. Started with deck 7 aft and moved up to 9 when it opened.

Hi Linda/Ohio - you will have to come back and let me know what you thought! I am keeping my eye on 9256 as well, it is a long time until I cruise and it may open up. The JS are $1100 in total more expensive than the D2s, so will stick with the DS for the moment. If there is a price drop and those JS 1100 and 1602 are still around, I will pounce on them! Can't wait until my first aft experience!

We are on Serenade (Radiance Class) in 8168 in November. Thanks for the pictures above. They help. You can not see the extra space by looking at the deck plans. Anyone stayed in 8168 that might have comments on the cabin, balcony, motion of the ocean, etc?

I wonder if a lower aft cabin would be less likely to be affected by cigarette smoke.

For those of you looking for those prime aft cabins, they do open up all the time. I've given up 1100 Radiance class more than once. Most recently it was when a GS price dropped to just $80 pp more for a 12 night cruise. I would have rather gotten the price drop on the JS and kept 1100 but after final payment that's not an option. I could have just kept it but it wasn't worth the premium to me. I saw 1100 available for a long time on the prior cruise.

I was just checking a cruise last night I have booked but may or may not take. When I booked it there were no great locations left. Last night the aft next to the corner wrap around on Rhapsody became available so I switched to it. If I don't do that cruise, which is a strong possibility, it will be released.

I see these aft cabins come and go all the time - right up until sailing. So keep checking often if you have a strong desire for them. I don't really. I prefer as close to midship as possible. But if my room is more than half way back from the stairs, I might as well go all the way back for the larger balcony.

Gina

Archived