Early Saver Question - canceling minor before final payment

imluvncruzn

We have a cruise booked for Jan. 6th 2013. Final payment is due Oct. 23rd. My nephew is booked in an interior cabin with my son and another nephew. He is now debating about canceling because of sports. We paid for his cruise, as a gift to him. He is 15 and listed as 3rd person in cabin. My question is if he cancels before final payment we lose $50 and the remaining $200 deposit would be held as a credit in his name - right? Does it make any difference that I paid for it and he is a minor? Would they put the credit in my name? His parents have no interest in cruising and it is extremely doubtful that he would cruise any time in the next few years. TIA for your help!

Yes you would lose the $50, and as for the $200, if you show proof you paid the deposit, they will transfer that into your name instead of keeping it in his name. You can possibly ask them to put it towards your current cruise though I'm not sure if they will do that.

Yes you would lose the $50, and as for the $200, if you show proof you paid the deposit, they will transfer that into your name instead of keeping it in his name. You can possibly ask them to put it towards your current cruise though I'm not sure if they will do that.

I just had this happen a few months ago with my DD BF. They broke up and he cancelled. I put the deposit on my CC just in case knowing he wouldn't be cruising and I probably would. Since I paid for it, I know have a $200 credit in my name. My PVP just suggested I keep the original booking # somewhere in case I ever need to prove it.

It is for use on a future cruise. They will not let you apply it to your current cruise. Believe me, I wish they would. I'm paying for 5 people in 2 rooms and I sure can use it.

I just had this happen a few months ago with my DD BF. They broke up and he cancelled. I put the deposit on my CC just in case knowing he wouldn't be cruising and I probably would. Since I paid for it, I know have a $200 credit in my name. My PVP just suggested I keep the original booking # somewhere in case I ever need to prove it.

It is for use on a future cruise. They will not let you apply it to your current cruise. Believe me, I wish they would. I'm paying for 5 people in 2 rooms and I sure can use it.

Was yours cancelled after final payment? I thought I had read if final payment hasn't arrived they would put the rest towards the current booking minus the $50 loss.

Was yours cancelled after final payment? I thought I had read if final payment hasn't arrived they would put the rest towards the current booking minus the $50 loss.

No, it was before final payment. My PVP told me that it has to be used for a future cruise, within 2 yrs of cancellation. I didn't question her. She knows her stuff :D

Edit: I just forwarded an email to my PVP to ask her to confirm this. I'm hoping I can use it for my cruise but I'm not thinking it will happen. I will return once I get her response. In the meantime, if anyone was able to use it on their current cruise, please come back and let us know.

No, it was before final payment. My PVP told me that it has to be used for a future cruise, within 2 yrs of cancellation. I didn't question her. She knows her stuff :D

Edit: I just forwarded an email to my PVP to ask her to confirm this. I'm hoping I can use it for my cruise but I'm not thinking it will happen. I will return once I get her response. In the meantime, if anyone was able to use it on their current cruise, please come back and let us know.

Email from my PVP

Credit – false info…they won’t do that, I just asked last week for someone else. :(

We have a cruise booked for Jan. 6th 2013. Final payment is due Oct. 23rd. My nephew is booked in an interior cabin with my son and another nephew. He is now debating about canceling because of sports. We paid for his cruise, as a gift to him. He is 15 and listed as 3rd person in cabin. My question is if he cancels before final payment we lose $50 and the remaining $200 deposit would be held as a credit in his name - right? Does it make any difference that I paid for it and he is a minor? Would they put the credit in my name? His parents have no interest in cruising and it is extremely doubtful that he would cruise any time in the next few years. TIA for your help!

There's also a good chance the 2 remaining people in the second cabin will have to move out of that 3 person cabin into a 2 person cabin.

There's also a good chance the 2 remaining people in the second cabin will have to move out of that 3 person cabin into a 2 person cabin.

Yea I thought about that too. I wish he would make up his mind...time's a ticking! We told his father that we need to know by the 22nd since final payment is due on the 23rd. We are already going to lose his airfare because we booked a non-refundable fare on Delta. This is just turning out to be a big headache!

Yea I thought about that too. I wish he would make up his mind...time's a ticking! We told his father that we need to know by the 22nd since final payment is due on the 23rd. We are already going to lose his airfare because we booked a non-refundable fare on Delta. This is just turning out to be a big headache!

I can relate. This happened when we cancelled my DD ex-BF. They swore they would still be together, blah, blah. I paid him for what I could get put in my name (Carnival and Jet Blue) but the poor kid lost his American Airline fare ($175 cancellation fee :eek: and they wouldn't budge on putting the balance only in his name) to use one year from date of purchase, which is March. He's looking to lose all of that airfare at a cost of $310. I wish I stuck to my gut and waited to book him but I guess a lesson learned. Definately a big pain in the butt

Archived