Zuiderdam upsell for 11 day Sunfarer, Good?

makentake

I just got an upsell notice from HAL. We sail on 10/29 and looks like it will not be a full ship. We already have a really nice cabin, 4166, with the extra balcony space. Just got an upsell notice that says that says Upgrade from category VA-VH to SS-SZ for an additional $249pp US/CAD. Good deal or not? We've never stayed in a suite. Thoughts?

I just got an upsell notice from HAL. We sail on 10/29 and looks like it will not be a full ship. We already have a really nice cabin, 4166, with the extra balcony space. Just got an upsell notice that says that says Upgrade from category VA-VH to SS-SZ for an additional $249pp US/CAD. Good deal or not? We've never stayed in a suite. Thoughts?

All depends on your preferences. The SS-SZ is a larger cabin with a jet tub but it does not give you access to the Neptune lounge or the breakfast at the Pinnacle.

All depends on your preferences. The SS-SZ is a larger cabin with a jet tub but it does not give you access to the Neptune lounge or the breakfast at the Pinnacle.

It also gives you a separate shower stall and a much larger balcony. I've stayed in both a VA and an SY on Noordam and would take the upgrade in a a heartbeat!

The balcony is huge in 4166. It is 18 feet wide by 7.5 deep. Plenty of room to enjoy the outdoors. What is the real benefit of the Neptune Lounge? I don't care about a jetted tub, we like showers better. I was thinking breakfast on the balcony so I don't know if the Pinnacle breakfast is anything we would take advantage of. It just sounds kind of expensive to me. I guess I'm cheap! $500 will buy some excursions or a really nice wine package!

Just wanted to make sure you understood that the SS does NOT have access to the Neptune Lounge or Pinnacle for breakfast. But, the SS is a much larger cabin than the V and has a better layout. The price for the upsell is especially good for an 11 day cruise.

The upsell offer is a good price IMO. The cabin would be larger for sure. However, you do have one of those 'special' cabins with the huge verandah:D:D So, in some ways it's a toss up. If you don't care about cabin space keep what you have. The SS's are really nice and quite roomy but I see that as your only advantage right now with your verandah.

I would take it but I like space in my cabin. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Go with with what your instinct is saying - and it sounds to me it's to 'stay put' - at least for now;)

As a comparison we got an offer today for $899 pp to go from a VD to go to a SS-SZ on a 12 day voyage later this month in Europe. They want $1599 pp for a SA-SC upgrade. Called and countered, waiting to hear back.

As a comparison we got an offer today for $899 pp to go from a VD to go to a SS-SZ on a 12 day voyage later this month in Europe. They want $1599 pp for a SA-SC upgrade. Called and countered, waiting to hear back.

Good luck 'Ralph' - if people pass on the offers - they will come down - hope you snag a nice upsell at a very reasonable price:)

Hello, Last year on the Westerdam we took an upsell offer for 159 per person on a 7 day caribbean from VA to SZ - It was really a nice cabin, biggest we have had so far. I could not make the jets work in the tub - and I kind of didnt like the idea of jets on such a public tub (just me, I know).

In hindsight we decided that we would probably not take this kind of an upsell again.

We are booked on the Zuiderdam Nov 9 2012 - 10 day sunfarer and are in cabin 4166 for that. I have had the reservation marked no upgrade because we really want to experience the big, big balcony. I had booked a VA guarantee but after reading CC comments about this wonderful cabin I called back and it was still available so I took it.

I you don't take the upsell then we will be in the cabin right after you!:D

PS - if you do take the upgrade then the difference in price $249x2=$498 counts towards your cruise day credits - at least that's what happened to us last year.

Just a word of caution - you could end up in one of the HC cabins - SY category - if they are not booked.

The balconies for those two cabins are about the same size as a standard VA.

And the bathroom doesn't have double sinks or a Jacuzzi tub, if that matters.

Looks like we are going to stay with the big balcony. We really don't care if we have more space in the cabin. If we had the perks of a regular suite we would probably go for it but hope we can spend most of our time outside. Molly, we'll take good care of the balcony for you! Mary Beth, I hope you enjoy your extra space. Maybe we'll regret our decision. I didn't realize you could negotiate with them for a better deal.Thanks for all the information from everyone. It helped a lot.

We were in 4166 on the Zuiderdam last December and I would take the upsell. There are several reasons -- more room, tub/shower combo, and better deck location. This room only has a shower and that was my main complaint plus we did have problems with the toilet. I would hope those problems have been fixed since I've not seen them posted lately. On the upside - We had a great room attendant and the balcony was wonderful in the canal.

Whatever you decide I know you will enjoy your cruise -- the canal was so interesting and we really enjoyed Costa Rica.

Archived