Pearl Chartered in 2014 for 2 months???

SuiteRose

Part of NCL's press release...

"To accommodate Norwegian Getaway’s arrival in January, the company is modifying the itineraries of its existing ships in Miami during that time. Beginning February 2, 2014, Norwegian Epic will depart Miami on Sundays and sail a Western Caribbean itinerary. Ports of call include: Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico. Norwegian Sun will now depart Miami on her 10 and 11-day Southern Caribbean itineraries a day later than scheduled on Mondays and Thursdays. Norwegian Pearl, which had been scheduled to depart Miami on Sundays will be chartered from January 19 to March 21, 2014. In addition, four new seven-day Western Caribbean itineraries will be added on March 21, March 28, April 4 and April 11, 2014."

Does anyone know the story???

I agree that Western Caribbean is normal for the Pearl, we sailed on a similar cruise on the Pearl.. I was talking about the sentence that said that the Pearl "had" been going to do other itineraries but has been chartered from January to March... just wondering since is it two months if anyone knows why? just seemed unusual to me.

I agree that Western Caribbean is normal for the Pearl, we sailed on a similar cruise on the Pearl.. I was talking about the sentence that said that the Pearl "had" been going to do other itineraries but has been chartered from January to March... just wondering since is it two months if anyone knows why? just seemed unusual to me.

I meant it is pretty normal for Pearl to be chartered in that timeframe (Cayamo is a yearly charter for the Pearl).

We are booked on the Epic for March 1, 2014 and have not seen anything about an itenerary change. This will be our first NCL cruise do they allow booking changes without penalty in cases such as this.

Really don't want to go back to any of the western POCs.

We are booked on the Epic for March 1, 2014 and have not seen anything about an itenerary change. This will be our first NCL cruise do they allow booking changes without penalty in cases such as this.

They cancelled my Pearl cruise for April of 2013 a few months back. They will move you to another ship at your request, at the current room rate, and give you $50 OBC for your trouble if they end up making changes like that.

We are booked on the Epic for March 1, 2014 and have not seen anything about an itinerary change. This will be our first NCL cruise do they allow booking changes without penalty in cases such as this.

You can watch other ships for deals to switch to (seeing you said you don't want a Western itinerary), or you can wait for NCL to move you at their expense. You have quite a bit of time before your cruise, thankfully, to see how this shakes out. :)

I know it says chartered, but maybe that's a friendly way of saying dry-dock until they make it official. She'll have been in service for almost 8 years by that point, so she might be due for a modest refresher.

Just thinking out loud, that's all.

I know it says chartered, but maybe that's a friendly way of saying dry-dock until they make it official. She'll have been in service for almost 8 years by that point, so she might be due for a modest refresher.

Just thinking out loud, that's all.

The Pearl is going into Dry Dock April 7-21st, 2013.

The Pearl seems to be a very popular ship for NCL to charter. I think it is fantastic that they have announced this so far ahead of time. I only became aware of cruises like Cayamo, which are annual things, earlier this year when our February 2013 cruise on the Pearl was chartered.:eek: Once I researched it I felt kinda dumb as there are many many such cruises. It had never occurred to me that could happen. Like I said, me not so smrt. It all ended up just fine due to our persistence and our great TA. We get to cruise a month earlier on the same boat, same itinerary, same cabin.

I am elated that NCL has decided to be more pro-active in this regard. It helps out people who may be looking to book early to get bonus Latitude points. Very cool.:cool:

NCL recently purchased Sixthman, who specialize in group cruises, such as Cayamo. I think this two month block will be back-to-back "Charter Cruises". It is more efficient for the cruise line to do that, rather than have the charters spread out over the year and on various ships.

A lot of services are not needed for that timeframe that the line can save money on (Such as activities staff, musicians and production cast).

NCL recently purchased Sixthman, who specialize in group cruises, such as Cayamo. I think this two month block will be back-to-back "Charter Cruises". It is more efficient for the cruise line to do that, rather than have the charters spread out over the year and on various ships.

A lot of services are not needed for that timeframe that the line can save money on (Such as activities staff, musicians and production cast).

Wow, did not realize they'd *purchased* Sixthman. Hope that doesn't shift the kind of programming Sixthman used to offer, which was very non-corporate.

I am not as experienced in the cruising schedules as some, nor do I know much about chartered ships.

So this is just a thought off the top of my head and may be way off base. After watching many peoples cruises being cancelled due to the amount of charters last year. Maybe NCL is trying to make the Pearl their for "charter ship". And alleviate the problems associated with having a cruise partially booked and then having to pull the plug on passengers vacations to a charter.

Hope I'm not drifting off topic, but I do wish they would have brought her to New York, I really want to try her, and I got a bit sad when they decided to keep her in Miami. But after her charter(s) in April, will she most likely go to Alaska?

Edited by CruiseAdict218

The Pearl seems to be a very popular ship for NCL to charter. I think it is fantastic that they have announced this so far ahead of time. I only became aware of cruises like Cayamo, which are annual things, earlier this year when our February 2013 cruise on the Pearl was chartered.:eek: Once I researched it I felt kinda dumb as there are many many such cruises. It had never occurred to me that could happen. Like I said, me not so smrt. It all ended up just fine due to our persistence and our great TA. We get to cruise a month earlier on the same boat, same itinerary, same cabin.

I am elated that NCL has decided to be more pro-active in this regard. It helps out people who may be looking to book early to get bonus Latitude points. Very cool.:cool:

What was your cruise date for Feb/2013 ?? We are booked on the pearl for Feb10/13. This cruise was originally supposed to be on the Jewel but was transfered to the Pearl because the jewel became a chartered cruise.

• 1 year later...

Our TA (group of 18 of us) was able to get us switched over to the Nov 20th cruise.............same perks...some OBC......no increase in price (actually a few bucks cheaper)......PLUS we have extra day on cruise...it is 11 instead of 10. We all retained our free upgrades on cabins & are very happy. Yes, it means cruising during Thanksgiving but we are very happy about this...:)

http://www.ncl.com/theme-cruises

Im guessing with all the new ships that are coming on line that we will see a lot of this until they get things worked out.

So far we have not run into a cruise that was cancelled or changed but who knows what next year brings. With more new ships on the way NCL may be trying to figure out what to do with all of them

Hi, The Pearl is scheduled for the Mountain Song at Sea Feb 3 through 6th. It is a Sixthman production. Didn't realize NCL bought them. Has anyone ever been on one of these Sixthman charters? It looks like a lot of fun. The reviews from last year are pretty good although I don't know if NCL owned them then. Never cruised with NCL before, so don't know what to expect. Any advice? Thanks, Jane