Maya Key vs. Tabayana

AlbertaCruisers

Has anyone snorkeled about both Maya Key (old Fins & Flippers) and Tabayana beach. We have done Tabayana twice before and loved the snorkeling, but are considering something different, but I don't want to go to Maya Key and end up wishing we had gone to Tabayana. Any thoughts or comparisons of the snorkeling quality are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sue

Although I haven't been to Maya Key yet (I actually just booked this excursion about an hour ago :D), I have done a lot of reading up on it. From all the reviews I've seen, the snorkeling is awesome at the end of the pier there. I guess it's kind of like Tabayana because you can swim out to the "drop off" like like at West Bay.

Here is a review I had found awhile back with some pictures of the place: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1539514

There was another thread talking about it and I spoke with someone about their experience and how much they loved it and have been a few times. There is suppose to be a guy at the end of the pier that will take people out to the drop off and you just leave a tip when you are done and they say it is amazing. I can't seem to find that link at the moment though. :cool:

I will be on the NCL Dawn in a few weeks and have been to Roatan twice before, first time spent the day at Mahogany Bay then the 2nd time went to Foster's West Bay. This next trip I am torn between going the Maya Key or doing the South Beach Experience at Parrot Tree Plantation. Last time at Roatan I swore I would make it to Maya Key the next time since it was so close to the ship.

Any suggestions, I have been reading that the beach is really not that great at Maya Key. Has anyone done the ship excursion gong to South Beach?

This is an aerial photo of Maya Key. The long pier on the other far side of the island seems to go out to reef. I have heard accounts from people who truly enjoyed it, but none of them had been to Tabyana. My concern would be it is the windward side of the island so you may be fighting both current and the waves headed to shore.

This Pic is labeled Maya Key Beach... you can just see the railing of the pier. This pic is also labeled Maya Key Beach.

If you take in to account all three pics, the beach at Maya Key seems to be very small but the water is lovely as is the sand.

This is a aerial of Parrot Tree Plantation. The beach is part of a man made lagoon. This is from farther out, the snorkeling looks to be very difficult to get to.

Hope this helps.

This is an aerial photo of Maya Key. The long pier on the other far side of the island seems to go out to reef. I have heard accounts from people who truly enjoyed it, but none of them had been to Tabyana. My concern would be it is the windward side of the island so you may be fighting both current and the waves headed to shore.

This Pic is labeled Maya Key Beach... you can just see the railing of the pier. This pic is also labeled Maya Key Beach.

If you take in to account all three pics, the beach at Maya Key seems to be very small but the water is lovely as is the sand.

This is a aerial of Parrot Tree Plantation. The beach is part of a man made lagoon. This is from farther out, the snorkeling looks to be very difficult to get to.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this are great aerial photos, it gives me a better look at Parrot Tree which the man made beach does look quite nice. I wonder if there would be less bugs at Parrot Tree or about the same:confused:

I believe the bug situation to be more personal than about location. Though, being the windward side of the island... perhaps there are fewer bugs. Hard to say being one doesn't know what the weather will be doing the day you are there.

I use deep woods off... do to the malaria danger I suggest everyone to be diligent.

Enjoy your visit.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone snorkeled about both Maya Key (old Fins & Flippers) and Tabayana beach. We have done Tabayana twice before and loved the snorkeling, but are considering something different, but I don't want to go to Maya Key and end up wishing we had gone to Tabayana. Any thoughts or comparisons of the snorkeling quality are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sue

Thanks, Sue, for your comment about Tabayana. This is our first trip there. How does one get to Tabayana from the cruise pier?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks, Sue, for your comment about Tabayana. This is our first trip there. How does one get to Tabayana from the cruise pier?

Thank you in advance.

I actually think you have to go with a cruise tour to Tabayana, as I think it is closed only for cruise tours? But I'm not sure of that. We took the tour through the ship both times we went, they take you there on a bus and there are buses leaving to go back to the ship every half our in the afternoon (or something like that). I don't normally book cruise tours, but for this one we didn't mind.

HokiePoq ~ AlbertaCruisers is partly right. Tabyana is a bit of sand on West Bay Beach the cruise companies named. I think the cruise companies have a Tabyana Beach Break excursion available. There have been rumors of people paying at the door, so to speak, but I don't know that I have heard any first hand info of it being done, nor do I know the price if you do. I emailed Tabyana in March of this year seeking an answer, never did get a reply.

The beaches of Roatan are public so getting to the easy access reef snorkeling is only a matter of walking down the beach. BUT if you want it all steps from your lounger you are better off with the ship excursion unless you have other things you wish to see or do while on the island.

The closest resort to Tabyana is Infinity Bay. I understand they offer day passes but from what I have heard they are the most expensive on the beach, there may be restrictions and they only offer a limited number. A bit father up is Bananarama, they have a lounger, transport package that is very competitive do to the high price of taxis and the distance from Mahogany Bay.

So, the short answer is the only way I know to get to Tabyana that has been confirmed is by cruise excursion. If you wish to roll the dice on walk up tickets a taxi from Coxen Hole would do it for a fairly fair price, or if you are coming from Mahogany Bay you are prolly better off with a tour company, their prices are very competitive and un-committed taxi are scarce in West Bay. If you are porting in Coxen Hole and you up for some real adventure, walk in to town, take the mini bus to West End and the water taxi to West Bay. :)

Archived