Excursion Advise? NCL Star

tripletsmommy

My family and I are going on the NCL star in November and I want to know what the best excursions are to do? I have 4 young kids so I have to think about them. I would like to go to some Mayan ruins, but not sure which ones to go to...Do not want to book through NCL since their prices are outrageous. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Jen

My family and I are going on the NCL star in November and I want to know what the best excursions are to do? I have 4 young kids so I have to think about them. I would like to go to some Mayan ruins, but not sure which ones to go to...Do not want to book through NCL since their prices are outrageous. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Jen

The best suggestion for you would be to look at the PORTS OF CALL board for the islands you are going to and read what is recommended over there. You might also get a lot of great ideas on the FAMILY CRUISING board under the "SPECIAL INTEREST CRUISES".

Have fun doing research!!

I agree with the above poster. You will have better luck checking out the port section on these boards for ideas and also the family board.

I have never done the ruins before. We have a 4 year old (who was 3 years old on her first 2 cruises) and never did the ruins because I can't imagine that being too exciting for her. I hear the bus rides are long and then what do you do when you get there other than take pictures or climb them. I know my 4 year old wouldn't have any fun doing that and would not understand the purpose in going. So, we will stick to fun active things for her to do until she gets old enough to understand. :)

We did an abbreviated version of that itinerary last year with a 4 year old. We booked our own for Costa Maya and Cozumel (we ended up losing 2 days & ports because of a tropical storm).

In Costa Maya, we went to Nohoch Kay and it is AWESOME!! It's a beachside restaurant that is an All Inclusive (food and drinks) right on the beach. It's clean and quite and the staff are super friendly and even kept a watchful eye out for the kids, unprompted. We are redoing this cruise in December and we have already reserved our spot; they take a limited number each day.

In Cozumel, we did Nachi Cocum. This was another All Inclusive. This one had a swim up bar in the pool. The kids LOVED it! They thought it was the coolest thing to drink root beer in the pool. The beach was nice, but the drop off was very steep.

We had originally planned to do Altun Ha in Belize. With younger kids, I had wanted to do an NCL excursion because it is a tender port. This is the shorter of the Mayan excursions. We are going to do this one this time around! My little guy says he's climbing to the top and going to be king of the stairs. We'll see;)

The Lamanai ruins in Belize are spectacular however it is an extremely long day and way too long for young children. Go for one of the closer ruins at one of the other ports. Maya Chan (all day all inclusive resort) in Costa Maya is fantastic. Free use of the snorkel equip. and sea kayaks also. Great food and drink :rolleyes:.

Archived