Day of departure issue

markser

Having just returned from a fantastic PG cruise and read two threads with post-cruise questions, I thought I would mention one of the few complaints we had with PG to find out if it was an isolated incident and to make PG's PR person aware of it. I also wrote it up on our evaluation form so I imagine it will be addressed.

We got off the ship and were put on a bus to take us to the IC, to which we had upgraded. During the ride, we were told nothing. We got off the bus and checked in to our dayroom and were told nothing about when we were supposed to check out of the room or when we were to be picked up to go to the airport.

I went back to the hotel front desk and the people there said they knew nothing but to speak to the woman at the Tahiti Nuit Travel desk, because they handled the shuttle service. She was not there.

She showed up eventually and did have us on the list for a 9:00 pm shuttle to the airport. We decided to not ask about checkout and stayed in our room until 8:45 but I doubt if we were supposed to.

When the bus arrived, our bags were put on a truck and we got on the bus. At the airport, our bags arrived first and were unloaded and left unguarded on a mobbed sidewalk while we got off the bus. There were several very long lines and only small signs to indicate which line was which. We got in the wrong line briefly.

By the time we got in line it was 9:30 PM which was OK for our 11:59 PM flight. However, most of the people had an 11:15 PM flight, so they had less than 2 hours to get through the long check-in and security lines. It took about 75 minutes for us.

Clearly PG needs to provide more information about the dayrooms and to work with Tahiti Nui Travel to improve the shuttle process so travelers have enough information and enough time to make the process as stress-free as the rest of the trip.

I'm surprised they haven't addressed that issue; apparently the same thing happened after our July 28 cruise.

Our day room was actually at the Radisson; I had called to inquire about upgrading to the IC Tahiti, but since my request with within 60 days of sailing, they wanted to charge the full price for the upgrade (something like $300), so we passed. However, our friends had upgraded to the IC Tahiti. We were surprised to see them arrive at the airport well after us, since the IC is much closer to the airport than the Radisson. They reported the exact same experience you've described, and said that nobody could tell them when their shuttle would arrive. By contrast, the Radisson was extremely organized - someone came onto the bus before we got off and explained the check-in process, advised us when check-out was, explained how the luggage would be handled, etc. I'm really surprised they don't have a similar process in place at the IC.

As for the airport, we had the same experience in that we had to pick up our checked luggage near an open-air entrance. I thought there was someone who looked at our tickets before letting us pick up our luggage; but then again, we arrived on an earlier shuttle. I do recall that there was someone to point us to the appropriate line.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that your departure day experience wasn't an isolated incident. Hopefully this is something they'll address for future sailings; there's no reason why the IC shouldn't be able to implement a similar process to the Radisson.

• 4 weeks later...
Having just returned from a fantastic PG cruise and read two threads with post-cruise questions, I thought I would mention one of the few complaints we had with PG to find out if it was an isolated incident and to make PG's PR person aware of it. I also wrote it up on our evaluation form so I imagine it will be addressed.

We got off the ship and were put on a bus to take us to the IC, to which we had upgraded. During the ride, we were told nothing. We got off the bus and checked in to our dayroom and were told nothing about when we were supposed to check out of the room or when we were to be picked up to go to the airport.

I went back to the hotel front desk and the people there said they knew nothing but to speak to the woman at the Tahiti Nuit Travel desk, because they handled the shuttle service. She was not there.

She showed up eventually and did have us on the list for a 9:00 pm shuttle to the airport. We decided to not ask about checkout and stayed in our room until 8:45 but I doubt if we were supposed to.

When the bus arrived, our bags were put on a truck and we got on the bus. At the airport, our bags arrived first and were unloaded and left unguarded on a mobbed sidewalk while we got off the bus. There were several very long lines and only small signs to indicate which line was which. We got in the wrong line briefly.

By the time we got in line it was 9:30 PM which was OK for our 11:59 PM flight. However, most of the people had an 11:15 PM flight, so they had less than 2 hours to get through the long check-in and security lines. It took about 75 minutes for us.

Clearly PG needs to provide more information about the dayrooms and to work with Tahiti Nui Travel to improve the shuttle process so travelers have enough information and enough time to make the process as stress-free as the rest of the trip.

Wish I had seen this before we left the following week! But we were already in the air heading west when you posted! We had the exact same problem the following week. Your write up could have been mine. DH briefly saw the Tahiti Nui rep assisting transfers to the PG around 2:30 and 3, and didnt want to interfere with that process, but we were not able to locate anyone after that. Finally, we approached the front desk and asked and were told it was ok to check out just before departure and that the transfer was at 9 PM. We worried about whether the 9 PM transfer was for the earlier flight which we had or the later one, which several friends had and were also transferring at 9 PM.

As it turned out, after some initial confusion at the airport the airline did open the line exclusively to the earlier flight, to expedite those and another line started bait later for those on the later flight. So that helped ensure the early flight folks did get through first. From there things moved slowly, but steadily.

Everything was quite organized disembarking; like you, we only found the lack of communication at IC with TN. Even a piece of paper with notes about when to check out, when to meet the transfer etc left at their desk would have been reassuring. As it turned out, it was not a problem for us, but after such excellent communication all the way through, it did feel like a lapse! I'm glad PG is aware now!

We will dock at 7pm on a Friday, is it normal for some passengers to leave the ship that evening and catch the late night flights back to the states?

Yes! And PG has this extremely well organized! There is zero confusion about getting off the ship- each and every scenario ( leaving Friday PM or Sat early AM, or Sat with day room or not) is made very clear! Best ever as far as communication and organization!

I've seen some do it but as stated why? If you are creative it's no big deal to stay the night and enjoy the next day. Onr of the problems is when you get the Radison as the day room location as it is so far away from other things to so and see.

I would suggest paying the added fee and get the IC Tahiti as your day room. Close to things, great day location ........... or ........

As I do, rent a car a few blocks away from the ship and leave Saturday morning from the ship with the rental car. You can go enjoy Tahiti for the day, circle the island, shopping etc etc .......... then deliver the car to the airport, walk across the street and checkin ....... make sure you do it about 30 minutes before the 'herd' arrives .........

Our experience at the Tahiti airport, nothing to do with PG, is enough for me not to return. That airport has problems! Airline check in opens but no security for 45 minutes. Get through security but no customs agent for another 30 minutes with very long line building. In the mean time I am hot!

After such a warm welcome when we landed, they need to work on last impressions.

Some leave the evening the ship gets back in port but I did not see that many leave. When you look at the per night cost of he cruise I would stay as long as possible.

I can't know what everyone's own travel situation was, but I have to agree that if you can do it to stay the last morning. It was so different from other departure days we've experienced. Although you do have to vacate your room, 2 wonderful meals are provided, hand luggage is stored under the watchful eyes of a staff member so you needn't drag that around. And you can debark and explore Papeete a bit and return for an early lunch and then transfer to a comfortable day room at a lovey resort. We were so pleasantly surprised that the whole day felt like an extra day of vacation!

But I realize everyone has their own timetables- we couldn't take a 10 day cruise ( leaving teens home) despite advice that its the best way to go! But if you can do it, that last day is entirely pleasant!

Archived