Locks on Eurodam verandah doors

Baseball Lover

...Nieuw Amsterdam, the Verandah Doors had removable Keys. As do all the Vista Class ships.Added the last statement for others who might want an answer about them:)

Joanie

Well, I never! Sailed in balcony cabins on 4 cruises on three those ships and never noticed it!

We were just on the Eurodam a week ago. Yes there is a removeable key for the verandah door. We left it in, but DH at one point pulled it out. I know too it took a couple turns either way to lock and unlock the door. (Dh always locks the door when leaving the room)

I imagine some have long been lost but probably all had them at one point.
On the Vistas and Sigs where we have had a balcony, if the key is lost there is no way to throw the deadbolt to open the door. They would have to be replaced quickly.

DSCN3626.jpg.071ce66616357729a68adeb24417cd63.jpg

Well, I never! Sailed in balcony cabins on 4 cruises on three those ships and never noticed it!

Yeppers I sure done did notice them ol' keys in the verandah doors of all our ships:D

Noticed them becaue I was worried on our first cruise, Oosterdam in May 2008, that someone might climb over the verandah sides and get into our stateroom..... Ah... the idiocies of first time cruisers:)

Since then I always make sure the verandah is locked and all the Vistas and the Nieuw Amsterdam staterooms we've been in have the keys.

BTW Peter, How ya doin?? Have not see many posts from you lately.........

Joanie

Yeppers I sure done did notice them ol' keys in the verandah doors of all our ships:D

Noticed them becaue I was worried on our first cruise, Oosterdam in May 2008, that someone might climb over the verandah sides and get into our stateroom..... Ah... the idiocies of first time cruisers:)

I have been cruising longer than you have?! :D
Since then I always make sure the verandah is locked and all the Vistas and the Nieuw Amsterdam staterooms we've been in have the keys.
I guess we never worried too much about people climbing over the dividers. We usually turn the lock....

BTW Peter, How ya doin?? Have not see many posts from you lately.........
I am doing OK, the end of summer was just a bit busy and I was more into spending time by the ocean that on Cruise Critic! ;) Fall means it is back to being more indoors and soon watching ships leave from Port Everglades. :D

On one of our cruises we had a cabin steward that use to lock the balcony door every night. First and only time we have had that happen. Never really understood why there were locks on those doors. Maybe if you had a young child in your room it would protect them from going out on the balcony.

We were on the Eurodam 9/14-9/24 for NY-Quebec cruise. Yes, the balcony doors have locks & keys. Our cabin steward locked it every night. It might be something they're told to do in case of heavy weather. I was annoyed every am when I tried to open the door. Finally, figured out I had to turn the key to the left to open the door.

I am more concerned about being locked out on the verandah then someone breaking into our stateroom. Our passports and wallets are kept in the safe.

igraf

I seem to remember that there are locks with removable keys on the verandah doors, but I'm just not positive. Could someone confirm this for me.

Thanks,

~ Molly

I am more concerned about being locked out on the verandah then someone breaking into our stateroom. Our passports and wallets are kept in the safe.

igraf

Funny you mentioned that, it happened twice that I know of. Our friends wife got stuck outside on the balcony for quite a while until someone several decks below heard her calling and they got someone to unlock the balcony door. The very next year over a New Years cruise we had the ex CEO of Holland America next to us in the same exact cabin and they had it happen to them. Luckily we were out on our deck and I heard their pleas for help. We told the concierge and they got them out. So it can happen.

Archived