New Orleans Departures

dave_k63

We have sailed on Carnival out of both New Orleans and Galveston. We have enjoyed our cruises - think the Carnival staff is outstanding and it's a great vacation value. We are now thinking about taking either the Star or Jewel, out of NOLA. How do you experienced NCL cruisers rate and compare these ships? The only negative I have heard is that the cabins are smaller. THanks.

We are platinum with carnival and had one royal carribean cruise and this past January went on the ncl spirit out of new Orleans. Loved it big time. We are booked on star for this November and jewel next November.

We had a balcony cabin and it was a tad smaller but for the two of us the space/storage was not a big deal.

We have booked a suite for this November and next November. The list of perks for a suite puts carnival to shame. We have had a suite on carnival, so I am speaking from experience.

We will be going on ncl from here on out. Only when we need a fix to go to key west/Bahamas out of new Orleans will we use carnival.

Maybe the spirit set the bar too high and we will be let down, but it would be a shock if so.

The service is sooo much better on NCL IMO. I wasn't a fan of the Conquest, but did sail her out of Galveston once. Our first NCL sailing was on the Spirit out of NOLA in 2009. Then we came home & booked the Pearl for March of 2010. Unfortunately, we have to cruise when DS is out of school and we do watch pricing. There's not always an NCL cruise doing what we want when we want it, but when there is, count us in!

We've not cruised in anything but insides, and the cabins are small but well layed out. If you can do a suite on NCL, you will be spoiled for sure.

Both ships are almost the same, the Jewel in newer. As for cabins being smaller, it depends what type of cabin you are looking for, inside cabins are small, balconies are okay and full suites (above mini suites) have plenty of room, plus butler and concierge service.

Thank you all for your replies. We always get balconies with Carnival. I called about a balcony out of NOLA and the Norwegian rep I talked to said they had a sale - getting a mini-suite for the price of a balcony. That sounded pretty good, but I don't really know what a mini suite is. Does that come with some of the extra perks?

We are platinum onboth NCL and Carnival and NCL is truly our preferred line.

Cabins are a bit smaller but for the two of us it isnt enough to matter. Please realize that minisuite is NOT a suite (dont know why NCL keeps that confusing name) it is a nice balcony with a bathtub and a curtain you can draw between the bed and sitting area. No perks. Not critizing them but be aware of what you are buying. Many a disappointed cruiser who thoight they were getting suite perks. I think you will enjoy the service on NCL and NO is a nice port if youve not been there.

Archived