Diabetic patient problem

ROCruiser

Not sure where to put this thread, but since I will be on the NCL Jade in November I will put this here.

I am a new diabetic patient needing to do the finger poking everyday. This is the first time traveling since I started this procedure. My question is, is there a certain way that I should dispose these medical trash (test strips, lancets) on a cruise? I know I am not suppose to dispose them like ordinary trash. I am thinking just keep them in an empty medicine bottle and bring them home to dispose. Will I have problem going through customs etc.? Or am I suppose to do otherwise?

The cruise line will provide a sharps container. If you call the access department (they deal with everything from wheelchairs to food allergies) they can arrange to have one waiting in your room when you arrive. Otherwise you can request one after you board.

The cruise line will provide a sharps container. If you call the access department (they deal with everything from wheelchairs to food allergies) they can arrange to have one waiting in your room when you arrive. Otherwise you can request one after you board.

Contact info:

http://www2.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

I'm type I diabetic and the previous posters are absolutely correct. They will provide you with a sharps container for disposal of your lancets and syringes or pen-top needles. At the end of the cruise, just close it tight and they will dispose of it. I just left mine closed on the vanity - they do the proper disposal for you.

Also, contact the access desk and indicate you're diabetic so that it's documented. You can see the maitre'd when you go to a restaurant so that they are aware and can provide special foods if necessary. There are a decent amount of sugar free options for desserts at the restaurants and buffets.

Happy sailing!

My husband has been diabetic type 2 for nearly 15 years. He has controlled it with diet and various medications other than insulin, which he has been able to do without due to how careful he is in what he eats. His doctors say he is a star patient. I am afraid that other than the sugar-free jello, the desserts the ships serve are not really good for diabetics imply because they still contain many carbs. Just because they use no sugar does not mean there are not many carbs in the crusts of the pies, in the flour they use, etc. You would be surprised at just how many carbs are there. Fruit is also offered and unless it is berries or berries, it has way too many carbs for diabetics. My husband carries those packaged cheese and sausage sticks with him on shore excursions as well as small packages of nuts so that he can control his blood sugar when he needs to do so by eating something. My husband pretty much eats only what is allowed on an Atkins diet and it has saved him. There are plenty of vegetables and salads and meats to pick from on cruise ships and plenty of cheese and cold cut selections. So it is not hard to do so as long as one watches the sauces put on all of the above.

Thank you all for the great information. I know I can count on CCers!

GrandmaHofmann, thanks for the suggestions. I have been thinking it's going to be difficult on the cruises this time because I have to really watch I eat. it's going to be different but I am glad that I am still able to cruise.

I am a type 2 Diabetic and I know how hard it is when you first start out. I did not have any problem with disposal while I am cruising. I let them know prior to my boarding and the dispenser was in my room when I got there. Good Luck and Have a great time.

Archived