San Juan on Thanksgiving

MNelson486

Hello All,

My family and I (2 kids ages 5 and 9) are cruising on the Carnival Glory over Thanksgiving. We will actually be in San Juan on Turkey Day.

What will be open? What can we do? My original plan was to just walk around Old San juan and visit the Forts but alas -- they are closed for the holiday. Any other ideas about what we could see/do?

Missy

• 2 weeks later...

Missy,

My wife and my daughter (9) are on this cruise. I'm a tiny bit apprehensive about walking around only because I've seen some posts about unsafe areas, but not so alarmed that I wouldn't go for a walking tour.

If this is something you're interested in, maybe our families could get together and do a self guided walking tour for a while? I'm guessing if you put your kids in Camp Carnival that our 9 years old will already know each other...

There is really only one area in the OLD San Juan area to avoid. It is called La Perla and is along the coast in between El Morro and San Cristobal forts.

If you click on this link and scroll down to "Get around" you will find more info about it. We have walked by many times. You won't "accidentally" go into this area unless you go down the hill and its easy to avoid.

http://wikitravel.org/en/San_Juan/Old_San_Juan

The rest of Old San Juan is fine..... we LOVE to stroll there ! We have even walked back to our hotel from a wonderful little salsa bar at 2 a.m. - lots of tourist police if you stay on the main streets at night (no back alleys :eek: )

For things to do on Thanksgiving especially with kids, you can always feed the pigeons in the various Olassee. Bring raw rice from home.

You can also fly kites near Ft Morro in the lawn out front. Vendors are there on weekends selling kites, but you may want to bring your own just in case they're not out on T Day.

The ferry should be running, so that's another affordable option.

You can also go to the park near Escambron Beach in Condado.

Archived