Sound System on the Valor

birdie16

We just came back from our cruise on the Valor. We had a great time (review to follow) but we had one OUTSTANDING issue. We love going to the main theater on our cruises after dinner to watch the shows. This ships sound system was so BAD we had to walk out of the theatre twice because our ears just could not handle the pain. This would have been our third time seeing Marcus Anthony and I was really looking forward to seeing him again but the band was so loud that we couldn't even understand the words he was singing and they had him mic'd so loud his voice was distorted, we had to leave.

The production shows have all new costumes and the sets looked fresh and new, the talent seemed good but again the sound was so loud it was painful! We tried several different locations in the theater but no matter where we sat all four of our party just could not handle it.

The night of the comedy/juggler was better sound wise, even though he had mic problems and had to change in the middle of his act...but at least it wasn't so loud it hurt our ears

Were we alone in this? The theater seemed full each night but how could these people stand it? It seems a shame to put on good shows but the noise level prevents enjoying them.

We had the same experience when we cruised on the Dream last year. We saw many folks, especially those in the 60+ age group walking out during the evening shows. Now I'm in my 30s, but I also was finding myself plugging my ears. As well, I was travelling with my parents. It seems that a lot of people struggle with sound sensitivity as they get older, my father being one of those. So it was super frustrating. So I finally went & spoke with the ACD after one especially loud show, and then to the CD the next day. I expressed my concern, and because of working for an entertainer in past as his technical director, I was able to throw out some technical lingo. This definitely got their attention, like I'm not just a complainer without some understanding of the situation. They told me that the levels are always pre-set, so the sound operator isn't adjusting levels. I thought that was ridiculous, and I told them so. During the musical numbers, when the female lead was hitting her upper register, the speakers were distorting. That should never happen in a professional production, with pros running the system. Thankfully, they listened, and adjusted the levels for the following nights. They also sent my folks a bottle of champagne as an apology. Sometimes it pays to speak up. :)

Thanks for posting. We're heading to the Valor in Dec, so I'll be paying attention to their sound levels.

We had the same experience when we cruised on the Dream last year. We saw many folks, especially those in the 60+ age group walking out during the evening shows. Now I'm in my 30s, but I also was finding myself plugging my ears. As well, I was travelling with my parents. It seems that a lot of people struggle with sound sensitivity as they get older, my father being one of those. So it was super frustrating. So I finally went & spoke with the ACD after one especially loud show, and then to the CD the next day. I expressed my concern, and because of working for an entertainer in past as his technical director, I was able to throw out some technical lingo. This definitely got their attention, like I'm not just a complainer without some understanding of the situation. They told me that the levels are always pre-set, so the sound operator isn't adjusting levels. I thought that was ridiculous, and I told them so. During the musical numbers, when the female lead was hitting her upper register, the speakers were distorting. That should never happen in a professional production, with pros running the system. Thankfully, they listened, and adjusted the levels for the following nights. They also sent my folks a bottle of champagne as an apology. Sometimes it pays to speak up. :)

Thanks for posting. We're heading to the Valor in Dec, so I'll be paying attention to their sound levels.

Could you teach me some of that technical lingo? We'll be on the Valor in less than 3 weeks:D there is no way I can sit through a show with bad sound!:(

I remember I had to leave them on the Miracle 2 years ago - same problem - too loud and very distorted. It's just unpleasant when the sound is bad.

I too, as a musician for over 50 years, find the levels of the sound systems, both in the shows, and on deck with the musicians, and tracks to be so LOUD that they're painful to listen to! I don't understand what's happened? Has the younger generation blown out their ears by listening to their I-Pods, I-Pads, and any other I devices, and now they can't hear anything unless it's presented at ear splitting levels? I love all the big production shows, but have found that lately, the audio levels are unbearable! PLEASE HELP!

"SKY"

Archived