Buying batik in Basseterre

Evilgrin72

Possible to see/buy batik products in downtown Basseterre? Wife is interested in picking something up, but we're debating tour/no tour and if we don't take a tour, we were planning on hoofing it around Basseterre and then walking/cabbing to Palms Court Gardens. I see there used to be a place to buy Caribelle batik downtown which has now closed - is this stuff all over the place or no?

Also, is the downtown area a cruiser-friendly area? Or will we be waylaid every 4 seconds by someone aggressively hawking goods/services like we encountered in Ocho Rios?

Thanks in advance

And the mystery continues. Only place I've been able to find online that sells it is this Island Hopper store, which is now apparently closed. other than that, there's virtually no web presence and not one response here. Guess I'll have to wing it.

Possible to see/buy batik products in downtown Basseterre? Wife is interested in picking something up, but we're debating tour/no tour and if we don't take a tour, we were planning on hoofing it around Basseterre and then walking/cabbing to Palms Court Gardens. I see there used to be a place to buy Caribelle batik downtown which has now closed - is this stuff all over the place or no? The store was pretty neat, and it was the only one I saw selling the Batik items, except at The Caribelle Batik @ Romney Manor. If you make it there, they do request that your taxi driver or tour operator stay for a minimum of 30 minutes. I believe there is an $8 fee to enter as well.

Also, is the downtown area a cruiser-friendly area? Or will we be waylaid every 4 seconds by someone aggressively hawking goods/services like we encountered in Ocho Rios?

Thanks in advance

The only aggressive vendors we encountered were the guys with monkeys. Do not let them put the monkeys on you, or they will take pics & want payment.

They refer to the immediate area outside ship terminal as the circus, and we enjoyed the area. A tour is not too expensive if you haven't been before, it is a beautiful island. Many have said it is like Maui before it was commercialized.

• 1 month later...

It has been three years, but we took a taxi tour of the island that stopped at Romney Manor and Caribelle Batik. At the time it was $20pp, which we had negotiated. It was very nice. The grounds of the Manor are very beautiful and I loved the batik items. I thought they were reasonable - I do not recall specifics but I remember buying several wallet type items for a reasonable price. If you negotiate a taxi tour yourself then you can arrange for a short one if you want - shouldn't be too pricey. I don't know how it is now, but I remember hoping to see some more batik items at the stores near the dock and at the time I was disappointed in not seeing many (if any, don't recall). That was three years ago so sorry I have no updated data.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived