What Lens on a Cruise ?

TheBeeSea

Thinking of buying a new lens -it will be used (among other places) on a summer cruise to the Adriatic.

Cannot make my mind up between a Canon 17-55 f2.8 or the Canon 24-105.

Camera is an ageing crop frame

Advice please?

Popular lenses for cruises also include the so-called super-zooms, such as the 18-200mm zooms. They typically allow you to take a single lens; although some folks still take a lens or two along with a super-zoom. To augmet my 18-200mm, I typically take a Tokina 11-16mm super wide angle for inside shots as it is also a fast f/2.8.

Fewer lenses means less stuff to lug around.

Be careful though that as you increase zoom power, the optical quality of the lens can go down. The 18-200mm I have is just under 12x; it is a good compromise, and I avoided going further (such as a 18-270mm or 18-300mm) as that just further compromises the lens quality.

For my 18-200mm lens, I have noticed that in the corners, it tends to be a bit soft at several spots along the focal length, especially when used wide open (f/5.6). But if I stop down to f/8, the lens tends to be as optically sharp as my higher quality glass.

While stopping down to improve sharpness is a common phenomenon with many lenses, it is particularly noticeable with the super-zooms (12x and above).

So I am mindful to keep the lens at f/8 minimum, which more or less dictates this lens to be a daylight lens - which fortunately is the predominant use on the cruises I go on. And I can always use my 11-16mm f/2.8 if I need interior shots or use a flash.

The minimum equipment I take is:

DSLR

11-16mm f/2.8

18-200mm

external flash

And if I see the need;

Tokina 80-400mm

The Tokina 80-400mm is no longer imported into the US, but is still available new from a few dealers from time-to-time (check Amazon periodically). Since it does not have VR, many people have a hard time using it at 400mm without a tripod and obtaining good results. But it has the distinction of being the smallest 400mm zoom, and that also helps in travel situations.

And sometimes another lightweight lens or two will find it's way into my camera bag:

10.5mm fisheye.

40mm macro

You do not mention what lenses are currently in your bag.

The f2.8 zoom is a great lens to have on the camera most of the time.

If you already have an 18-55 kit lens, you should consider the super wide 11-16 f2.8 mentioned above. The quality and build is excellent.

My cruise in November will be my first with my DSLR. I did use my camera on a recent land trip, and here's what I found...

I have the 18-55mm kit lens that I left on my camera most of the time, but for great touring shots (especially outside/scenery) without having to constantly change lenses, I loved my 18-200mm "travel lens." For our cruise, I will probably also take my 50mm f/1.8 for indoor shots in places like the dining room...it was inexpensive, captures good images, and takes up almost no space!

My cruise in November will be my first with my DSLR. I did use my camera on a recent land trip, and here's what I found...

I have the 18-55mm kit lens that I left on my camera most of the time, but for great touring shots (especially outside/scenery) without having to constantly change lenses, I loved my 18-200mm "travel lens." For our cruise, I will probably also take my 50mm f/1.8 for indoor shots in places like the dining room...it was inexpensive, captures good images, and takes up almost no space!

Please let me know how this works out for you! You have the exact same gear bag as I do, it seems -- 18-55mm kit, 18-200mm zoom and 50mm f/1.8. Right now I'm planning on bringing the 18-200mm and 50mm on my upcoming January cruise.

I'm also considering picking up an external flash, but I'm wavering on that.

Thinking of buying a new lens -it will be used (among other places) on a summer cruise to the Adriatic.

Cannot make my mind up between a Canon 17-55 f2.8 or the Canon 24-105.

Camera is an ageing crop frame

Advice please?

I have the 24-105 F4.0L lens and love it. I use it as my standard lens, but I am using it with a full frame DSLR (5D MK II).

There are 2 major differences in the lenses--the focal length and the f-stop. How important is the faster 2.8 to you? I am satisfied with the 4.0, compensate by increasing the ISO, and still get a satisfactory picture--but I'm not sure that is an option for you (the newer cameras do a much better job of noise reduction than older models).

What portion of your photos are in the ranges where the lenses don't overlap (17-24 and 55-105)? If you lean more towards the wider/shorter end, have you looked at Canon's L lenses in the 16-35 or 17-40 range.

Since you mention that your camera is aging, do you have plans to replace it in the near/intermediate future? Do you have any idea what you might replace it with? If you think that you might want to go to a full frame, the 17-55 won't work with a full frame camera.

Currently my equipment is :

Canon 50mm 1.8

Canon 18-55 (kit lens)

Canon 55-250

Sigma 10-20

Camera is a Digital Rebel - I will not be going FF

Assuming you don't feel a strong need for the faster 2.8 lens, I'd go with the 24-105 4.0L. It looks like you already have several lenses to cover under 55mm. The L lenses are outstanding, and the focal length is quite versatile. Canon's L lenses are just better than the alternatives. I'd pick the L lens every day, unless there was a compelling reason to select something else. Usually that reason is price, but it looks like the 2 lenses you are looking at are comparably priced.

Do not get the f4 lens. It for FF sensor and you will be very limited with it on the wide end with your cropped sensor. Also, you should not buy another "slow" lens if you already have the kit.

Your collection looks fine. But if you want to treat yourself, a 35mm f1.8 works as great as a normal lens on the cropped sensor bodies and is very fast and tact sharp.

Another recommendation would be for a light weight travel tripod or flash or ND filter so you can shoot wide open during the harsh mid day sun.

Enjoy your trip!

Do not get the f4 lens. It for FF sensor and you will be very limited with it on the wide end with your cropped sensor. Also, you should not buy another "slow" lens if you already have the kit.

Canon's L lenses are for any camera. The fact that EF-S lenses don't work with FF cameras doesn't mean the EF and L lenses don't work with the APS-C cameras. They work quite well. In fact, Canon has packaged the 7D (it's top of the line APS-C camera) with the 24-105. I know several people that have/love that package.

Canon's L lenses are for any camera. The fact that EF-S lenses don't work with FF cameras doesn't mean the EF and L lenses don't work with the APS-C cameras. They work quite well. In fact, Canon has packaged the 7D (it's top of the line APS-C camera) with the 24-105. I know several people that have/love that package.

You mis-understood my response.

A 24-105mm lens is designed for full frame (35mm) sensors, not cropped frame. On a cropped frame sensor camera the lens will only function as normal view to mid-telephoto. For cruise & senic photos, need a wider angle, at least 18mm.

He is better off buying the Tamron 18-55mm f2.8 for less than half the price of the Canon lens and similar quality images.

Please let me know how this works out for you! You have the exact same gear bag as I do, it seems -- 18-55mm kit, 18-200mm zoom and 50mm f/1.8. Right now I'm planning on bringing the 18-200mm and 50mm on my upcoming January cruise.

I'm also considering picking up an external flash, but I'm wavering on that.

I am also considering an external flash...I have to decide if it is worth the investment, because I'm not sure I would use it a lot.

How fast is the Sigma lens? I would be tempted strongly by the 17-55 F/2.8 lens, with the IS and the USM ...

Which Rebel do you have? You might want to upgrade your body instead. Now that the T4i is out I got a good deal on aT3i... I was impressed with the reasonable amount of noise even at ISO 3200!

Aloha,

John

I am also considering an external flash...I have to decide if it is worth the investment, because I'm not sure I would use it a lot.

External Flash is well worth the investment and I find I have used it allot. In most cases the sun and settings outside require a small burst of flash to cast out shadows and fill in subjects with bright background.

7961470252_0a5507723c_z.jpg

Without the flash the subject would have been dark.

Again here I used a flash on a bright sunny day to iliminate the shadows on her face.

7961472978_1f83929a9a_z.jpg

I use an EOS 60D with the cropped sensor and only use Canons L series lenses. I have tried and tested standard lenses and noticed a massive difference in quality.

Here the Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L

413759_10150918756864037_258573481_o.jpg

compared to the EF-S 55-250mm lens

177947_10150918757099037_474442982_o.jpg

Shot close to one another on similar focal lenght and shutter speet and apeture the difference is great between both photos.

External Flash is well worth the investment and I find I have used it allot. In most cases the sun and settings outside require a small burst of flash to cast out shadows and fill in subjects with bright background.

7961470252_0a5507723c_z.jpg

Without the flash the subject would have been dark.

Again here I used a flash on a bright sunny day to iliminate the shadows on her face.

7961472978_1f83929a9a_z.jpg

Thanks for sharing these pictures...they really help me see what a difference an external flash can have on the outcome!:)

Hi Cindy,

A flash is one of your best best and cheapest improvements for serious photography. It will allow you to take indoor photos w/o the direct in your face harsh light from the inboard flash.

Just make sure that you get one that works with your camera (ttl) and can rotate in both directions to let you bouncy in both landscape and portrait.

You find that if the flash is directed up vertical to the ceiling the results will be nice warm lighting with minimal shadows.

Hi Cindy,

A flash is one of your best best and cheapest improvements for serious photography. It will allow you to take indoor photos w/o the direct in your face harsh light from the inboard flash.

Just make sure that you get one that works with your camera (ttl) and can rotate in both directions to let you bouncy in both landscape and portrait.

You find that if the flash is directed up vertical to the ceiling the results will be nice warm lighting with minimal shadows.

I was looking at the Canon 430EX II. That one seemed like it had a good combination of features at a reasonable price.

I was looking at the Canon 430EX II. That one seemed like it had a good combination of features at a reasonable price.

That's the one I'm looking at too - We are living parallel photography lives. ;) If you do end up getting it, let me know how it works out for you. :)

I have both flashes the 430 and 580 and they are both excellent. The 580 I picked up cheap from EBay brand new from Hong Kong. I find the 580 can blast away peoples faces up close and it is best to bounce it and use the diffuser.

I still have allot to learn with the flash as the camera is often foolish and wants to shoot at 1/60 all the time with it in use when the situation might call for different settings.

That's the one I'm looking at too - We are living parallel photography lives. ;) If you do end up getting it, let me know how it works out for you. :)

I have both flashes the 430 and 580 and they are both excellent. The 580 I picked up cheap from EBay brand new from Hong Kong. I find the 580 can blast away peoples faces up close and it is best to bounce it and use the diffuser.

I still have allot to learn with the flash as the camera is often foolish and wants to shoot at 1/60 all the time with it in use when the situation might call for different settings.

I just won a 430 on Ebay...saved a decent chunk of change over what it would have cost on Amazon, especially now that I have to pay sales tax. I'll let you know what I think when I get it!

I just won a 430 on Ebay...saved a decent chunk of change over what it would have cost on Amazon, especially now that I have to pay sales tax. I'll let you know what I think when I get it!

Good work. Remember to try and use lithium batteries or top quality batteries in it.

Archived