Holland America Famous Muesli for Glutein Free people?

Rafaella

I am wondering, if anyone with glutein sensitivity is able to eat Muesli on HAL cruises? I LOVE MUESLI, and I don't have Celiac disease, but I am slightly sensitive to glutein in bread and pasta, and wonder if oats are ok for me.

I would be so disappointed, if I cannot eat Muesli.. Thanks.

For so many cruises I had seen this wonderful looking dish. Finally about 4 cruises ago I tried it and loved it. I spoke with a chef and got the recipe and tried to re-create it at home. Never quite the same.. I have ditched the bread pudding and now indulge in this every morning when I cruise. I have no allergy to gluten.

I have a sensitivity to gluten and try to avoid it, for the most part. Fortunately I don't have Celiac Disease or a true allergy. I've found that different people have different levels of sensitivity. I was reading about oats and gluten, and the reactions are all over the map. It depends a bit on the type of oats, where they are grown, how they are prepared. If you can eat oats at home, you will probably be fine. If you have not tried oats at home, I'd try there first and not experiment on your vacation.

I personally can eat oatmeal with no problems. It's wheat that bothers me. I would expect I'll be able to eat the muesli with no problem, as long as I don't overdo it. But, isn't that the case with everything?

I love it too and have made it many times at home from what they told me was in it on HAL. It is just oats, yogurt, fruit - no granola.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. HAL muesli is delicious but must have quite a high calorie count. I wish they would make it available as dry muesli so that we could just put skim milk on it for fewer calories.

That was my question ro Sprockie. If that is the ingredients, why is the calorie count so high? I recall reading it's very high.

I once tasted the Muselli after reading about it on this board and loved the taste but cannot afford to consume that high number of calories at breakfast on a regular basis so I avoid it.

That was my question ro Sprockie. If that is the ingredients, why is the calorie count so high? I recall reading it's very high.

I once tasted the Muselli after reading about it on this board and loved the taste but cannot afford to consume that high number of calories at breakfast on a regular basis so I avoid it.

first off, granola is mainly rolled oats. i make it frequently. saying granola is healthy is VERY misleading. it is high in fat (from oil) and sugars (sugar and maple syrup) - making it high in calories. there's nuts and coconut in my recipe, too.

i haven't seen hal's recipe (which is delicious, btw), but i suspect it has oil, sugar and or syrup in there, too. hal soaks theirs in heavy cream, too. way too high cal and high fat for me to eat very often.

I did a search of this forum and found this recipe from a link provided in a thread from years ago.

Here is a link to that old thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=635947&highlight=museli+recipe

YIELD: 10 SERVINGS

½ pound oatmeal

1 pint milk

½ pint heavy cream

2 tablespoons plain yogurt

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 apple, peeled and cored

1 pear, peeled and cored

½ cup chopped nuts

½ cup soaked raisins

½ cup honey

Sugar, to taste

Fresh berries (optional)

1. Soak oats in the milk and cream for 2-3 hours.

2. Coarsely grate the apple and pear, mixing with lemon juice immediately to avoid discoloration.

3. Mix sugar and yogurt together.

4. Combine all ingredients, adding sugar and fresh berries to taste.

sail7seas

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas viewpost.gif

first off, granola is mainly rolled oats. i make it frequently. saying granola is healthy is VERY misleading. it is high in fat (from oil) and sugars (sugar and maple syrup) - making it high in calories. there's nuts and coconut in my recipe, too.

i haven't seen hal's recipe (which is delicious, btw), but i suspect it has oil, sugar and or syrup in there, too. hal soaks theirs in heavy cream, too. way too high cal and high fat for me to eat very often.

Just for clairification..... I'm not sure I said it is healthy.

Perhaps someone else did but you posted my quote?

I did a search of this forum and found this recipe from a link provided in a thread from years ago.

Here is a link to that old thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=635947&highlight=museli+recipe

Thanks S7S for the recipe. This is not how I fix it at home. Maybe thats why it never tastes quite the same! I know its high in calories but I love it anyhow.

This is the first time I've ever seen the recipe, but it is about what I expected: heavy cream, honey, sugar. Lots of calories in those three ingredients alone.

One doesn't, however, need to see the recipe to know that HAL muesli is loaded with calories. Anything that good has to be bad for us.

I just made a batch from this recipe yesterday. It was very good, but I am not sure the one I remember so fondly had grated apple and pear. I remember it with finely chopped fruit - especially canteloupe. You could most definitely lean this down some by using straight milk, or a lighter cream. The half cup of honey is not much considering how many portions it makes. I will be eating it for a while. I added cinnamon and toasted almonds and only grated apple to my batch. Thanks for the recipe! I was just winging it before by what they told me was in it.

I don't remember who posted this originally, but this seems to be the more "authentic", currently used recipe. I'm very fond of the finely diced melon!

Here is the recipe for Muesli Cereal as printed on Holland America Stationery.

4 cups oatmeal (old fashion oats uncooked)

1/4 cup diced apples, diced and seeded

1/4 cup diced honeydew melon

1/4 cup diced cantaloupe

1 cup diced seasonal fruit

1/4 cup raisins

1 cup plain yogurt

2 cups 1/2 and 1/2 cream

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup white sugar

Method:

Mix all ingredients together and let sit overnight, ready to eat by morning.

I have some dried muesli at home which DH had picked up. It has 240 calories per half cup, and I'm sure many people could put away more than a half cup along with the skim milk. While HAL uses cream in this, much of the creaminess comes from the long soaking.

Many of the packaged muesli contains flaked cereals (corn, wheat or rye) and could cause a problem for people with sensitivities.

I just made a batch from this recipe yesterday. It was very good, but I am not sure the one I remember so fondly had grated apple and pear. I remember it with finely chopped fruit - especially canteloupe. You could most definitely lean this down some by using straight milk, or a lighter cream. The half cup of honey is not much considering how many portions it makes. I will be eating it for a while. I added cinnamon and toasted almonds and only grated apple to my batch. Thanks for the recipe! I was just winging it before by what they told me was in it.

I agree that recipe can be modified to remove considerable calories.

You've inspired me to give it a try. I've never made it and only eaten it on board once or maybe twice. I resented the fat and calories. :o

Archived