ANZ 14 nts on RCCL Voyager w/ 3 y/o - good or bad idea? (x-posted)

MariahJ

My husband is taking his sabbatical next year, which is an extra 8 weeks of vacation that only happens every 7 years, and we want to do something very special. We are considering taking this Australia/New Zealand cruise with our 3 y/o next November.

Pros:

- Voyager ship has Dreamworks experience with characters, should be plenty to keep occupied on ship.

-Wildlife excursions to keep her interest (koalas an kangaroos in Sydney and Melbourne).

Cons:

- Long trip to get there (15 hour flight LAX - SYD plus a 2 hour flight to LAX and layover, will be in business class so probably not too miserable).

- Some of the NZ excursions may be boring for her.

- Probably not many other kids onboard.

Anything I'm missing?

1 Sat, Nov 23 Sydney

9:00 P 2 Sun, Nov 24 At Sea

3 Mon, Nov 25 At Sea

4 Tue, Nov 26 Auckland 3:00 P 10:00 P 5 Wed, Nov 27 Tauranga 8:45 A 8:00 P 6 Thu, Nov 28 At Sea

7 Fri, Nov 29 Wellington 8:00 A 6:00 P 8 Sat, Nov 30 Christchurch 8:00 A 6:00 P 9 Sun, Dec 1 Dunedin 8:00 A 6:00 P 10 Mon, Dec 2 Dusky Sound 8:00 A 9:00 A 10 Mon, Dec 2 Doubtful Sound 11:30 A 1:00 P 10 Mon, Dec 2 Milford Sound 4:30 P 6:00 P 11 Tue, Dec 3 At Sea

12 Wed, Dec 4 At Sea

13 Thu, Dec 5 Melbourne 8:00 A 6:00 P 14 Fri, Dec 6 At Sea

15 Sat, Dec 7 Sydney 6:00 A

We sailed with our DD when she was 13 months and again when she was 3 years, but she doesn't remember those cruises. She barely remembers a 4 night cruise when she was 4, but only because her older friend and family sailed with us.

It was really a 15 night TA when she was 5 that she can start recalling specifics details about the cruise.

Does that mean we wouldn't have taken the earlier trips because she doesn't remember them? Absolutely not. We definitely have wonderful memories, and through pictures, can share them with her.

On Voyager, as a 3 yr old if she is potty trained, she can go to AO and even with fewer kids, she'd get more attention from the counselors. Just strolling the promenade was one of our favorite activities, plus going to the card room to play go fish was a big treat at that age.

Good luck with your decision

Aside from the long trip, I don't see where a 3 year old would be bored on ANY itinerary! It's up to you to do excursions that will interest him/her...but that would be true anywhere.

Once you're on the ship, it's just like any other cruise, really. I'm fairly certain there will be enough other kids...probably not a full ship of children, but enough!

I'd love to see that part of the world, but those loooooong travel times put me right off...I'm good for about 6 hours on a plane....then I'm done!

Archived