Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships

Allis154

What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?  

411 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?

• Would LOVE a self-service laundry! Would use it all the time!
    • Having the option of a self-service laundry would be great!
    • Doesn't matter to me if there is a self-service laundry.
    • NO WAY! NO HOW! I would RIOT if there was EVER a self-service laundry on a Celebrity Ship!

Very amusing putting the anti self serve option as "I would RIOT if there was EVER a self-service laundry on a Celebrity Ship".

Having said that I don't understand why people would actually be hostile to this option. Indifferent I get but not hostile.

You don't have to use the machines if you don't want to.:rolleyes:

Same question has been asked on the RC board because they have the same policy with similar opinions.

Some higher end more expensive cruise lines ( Regent ) don't think that it's below their brand to have a small self service laundry room on each floor.

When you are on a 14 day tropical humid cruise , you go through a lot more clothes than other types of cruises.

That being said, give me a sink, woolite and a balcony and I have self service laundry on any ship!

My next cruise is a 17 night tropical humid cruise and I will be doing exactly the same as you have suggested.....no other choice.;)

Just chipping in on this thread.

Why on earth would you want Laundries on Celebrity. I love the fact that they don't have laundries. I do enough washing at home thank you.

Surely those who cruise on Celebrity can afford a few extra dollars to have their Laundry taken care of. They offer good deals for back to back cruisers as well as great 'fill a bag' deals, and I'll guarantee your garments will come back ironed to a much higher standard than you can do at home.... :)

Now I'll duck under my desk and wait for the fallout..... :rolleyes:

Jilly:D

Just chipping in on this thread.

Why on earth would you want Laundries on Celebrity. I love the fact that they don't have laundries. I do enough washing at home thank you.

Surely those who cruise on Celebrity can afford a few extra dollars to have their Laundry taken care of. They offer good deals for back to back cruisers as well as great 'fill a bag' deals, and I'll guarantee your garments will come back ironed to a much higher standard than you can do at home.... :)

Now I'll duck under my desk and wait for the fallout..... :rolleyes:

Jilly:D

Jilly, I don't find Celebrity to be any dearer than most other cruise lines.

Many people may not want to do back to back cruises just to receive a few benefits, and the "fill a bag" deals are only offered to Captain's Club repeat cruisers, first time cruisers miss out on all deals.:(

I'd settle for an iron and board, even without the washers and dryers: You can wash out your clothes in the sink, and dry them in your room, but the "steamy shower" method of ironing really does nothing for linen and those other classic fabrics so favored in tropical climes.

[quote name='Gold Coast Cruisers'][SIZE=3]Just chipping in on this thread. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Why on earth would you want Laundries on Celebrity. I love the fact that they don't have laundries. I do enough washing at home thank you. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Surely those who cruise on Celebrity can afford a few extra dollars to have their Laundry taken care of. They offer good deals for back to back cruisers as well as great 'fill a bag' deals, and I'll guarantee your garments will come back ironed to a much higher standard than you can do at home.... :)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Now I'll duck under my desk and wait for the fallout..... :rolleyes:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Jilly:D[/SIZE]

[/quote]

My experience of the ship's laundry service has been very disappointing: clothes coming back unironed and others shrunk. Many have pointed out that they only use a hot cycle. Wish your "guarantee" were true :(

[quote name='Mercury']My experience of the ship's laundry service has been very disappointing: clothes coming back unironed and others shrunk. Many have pointed out that they only use a hot cycle. Wish your "guarantee" were true :([/QUOTE]

Never had a problem in all the times I have used their services. Total satisfaction.

[quote name='Aussie Claire']Jilly, I don't find Celebrity to be any dearer than most other cruise lines.

Many people may not want to do back to back cruises just to receive a few benefits, and the "fill a bag" deals are only offered to Captain's Club repeat cruisers, first time cruisers miss out on all deals.:([/quote]

Hi Claire, if you're a first time cruiser I think you'll find it's not that expensive for the time you'll be on board. Once you've cruised with them the next time you cruise you will get some deals. I'm sure you will cruise on Celebrity again , they're a great company to cruise with... :):)

Jilly:)

[quote name='QuilterGirl']I'd settle for an iron and board, even without the washers and dryers: You can wash out your clothes in the sink, and dry them in your room, but the "steamy shower" method of ironing really does nothing for linen and those other classic fabrics so favored in tropical climes.[/quote]

You are a girl after my own heart, and a quilter to boot.:) I'm not keen on synthetic fabrics in warm to hot weather, and cotton and linen which are cooler fabrics require ironing.

[quote name='Gold Coast Cruisers']Hi Claire, if you're a first time cruiser I think you'll find it's not that expensive for the time you'll be on board. Once you've cruised with them the next time you cruise you will get some deals. I'm sure you will cruise on Celebrity again , they're a great company to cruise with... :):)

Jilly:)[/quote]

Hi Jilly,

I will definitely cruise with Celebrity again they are an amazing cruise line, in fact I am booked to sail to Hawaii with them next year. I don't think as a second time cruiser I am entitled to the "fill a bag" option, never mind, I guess I will have to do cruise number 3 to get it.:D

The one time we used a self service laundry (in nine cruises) was on a 10 day Princess cruise to the Baltic. We had a big class reunion following the cruise in Berlin, and we were going to be travelling extensively after the cruise for another ten days. As we would have no time to find a laundromat in a foreign country, we were very happy to be able to exit the ship with our suitcases full of fresh clothing. I do remember that there were only a few laundries on the ship, not on every floor, and that many people were using them on the sea days. When I have looked at the costs of sending out laundry on ships, I cannot justify throwing my hard earned money away like that. I would rather give it away to charity.

I have no need of a laundry on most cruises of less than two weeks, but for a cruise or a trip longer than that, I would prefer to have the convenience of doing my own laundry onboard, my way. I just cannot see why wanting to do laundry aboard a ship stirs up so much controversy. Live and let live.

[quote name='AcadiaL']... I just cannot see why wanting to do laundry aboard a ship stirs up so much controversy. Live and let live.[/quote]
Isn't that amazing? Incidentally, we have also cruised Princess and Cunard. Never read on those CC boards about anyone wanting the lines to get rid of the self-service laundries. There were some occasional complaints, such as people talking loudly outside the entrances. On the other hand, we have had cabins right across from the laundries and never experienced this problem.

With 43 days on back to back cruises, laundry machines would be a treat!! Undies hanging in the shower are one thing but shirts and jeans!!!!! Money spent on laundry services is better spent on shore excursions. Those who are against the installation of self service do not need to chose cabins near them and one inside cabin sacrificed on two or three decks doesnot seem to bother the profit margin for Disney/Cunard/Princess or some of Holland America!!! We have to pack way more clothes when we use Celebrity, RCB and Carnival, so guess what? We don't choose them unless we have to for date or ports......

[quote name='Allis154']Given the heated discussion on self-service laundry, I thought a poll would be interesting (and was the subject of the original post).

So, here are the questions:

1. Would LOVE a self-service laundry! Would use it all the time!
2. Having the option of a self-service laundry would be great!
3. Doesn't matter to me if there is a self-service laundry
4. NO WAY! NO HOW! I would RIOT if there was EVER a self-service laundry on a Celebrity Ship!

Please, keep from flaming and insulting anybody who posts or votes![/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]This picture says it all: If you have a suggestion or request it needs to increase revenues not ones that negatively affect Celebrity’s bottom line. Remember the cruising industry is very competitive and due to marketing pressures your cabin price does not meet the cost of running a cruise ship and make a profit.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][IMG]http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww274/doringkloof/Beatingadeadhorse.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='AcadiaL']When I have looked at the costs of sending out laundry on ships, I cannot justify throwing my hard earned money away like that. [/QUOTE]

But you threw away some of that hard earned money you paid to be on the cruise to do laundry. Go figure! I can understand people wanting to do their own laundry because they want it done a certain way, but arguing that you don't want to spend money on sending out your laundry, but instead are willing to pay to "rent" your time on the ship and then spend it doing laundry, seems a bit contradictory. Much like renting a car when travelling, but then taking a taxi instead of the rental because you don't want to pay for the gas for the rental car, to me that is an odd excuse.

That's a strange analogy. Both taking the taxi and paying for fuel in your rental car costs money.

Sending stuff out to the ship's laundry costs money. Using a free (and on Cunard at least the machines are free) machine does not.

Not everybody regards every second of their time on board as a precious resource. We are retired and have plenty of free time.

My husband visits the gym several times during our cruise and I do not. That is time I can use to put washing into a washing machine and later move it into a dryer.

When we holiday for a month or so and use two pairs of underwear a day that means that we have to take 60 pairs of underwear each or we have to wash them. Sending them to the laundry is, I believe $1.50 per pair. There is of course also the issue of other clothing too. I have better things to do with our money than pay somebody to wash things like underwear, socks etc etc that need no ironing and yet would costs tens of dollars to have laundered by the ships laundry.

I can get over this problem because I handwash our underwear and my husband's gym gear and then we rent apartments or villas on land with washing machines but if we were going to to use hotels it would be so much easier to start our land based vacations with clean laundry at no cost other than a few moments of my time.

For those who are happy to pay, good luck to them. For us, if it was available, then we would use a self-service laundry.

[quote name='gmjc2']With [B][SIZE=5][COLOR=red]43[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B] days on back to back cruises, laundry machines would be a treat!! ......[/quote]Sorry. After reading 43 days I couldn't concentrate on anything else.:D Good for you (and yes I am very jealous).

[B]Emileg [/B]
[B]"[/B] Incidentally, we have also cruised Princess and Cunard. Never read on those CC boards about anyone wanting the lines to get rid of the self-service laundries."

Love this point. Perhaps the idea of no self-serve laundry appeals to those who want to assure themselves that they are on a classy cruise.:p

[quote name='Jack Horner'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS] If you have a suggestion or request it needs to increase revenues not ones that negatively affect Celebrity’s bottom line. Remember the cruising industry is very competitive and due to marketing pressures your cabin price does not meet the cost of running a cruise ship and make a profit.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

.[/quote]

Yes, the cruising industry is very competitive. So why do other cruiselines have laundries on board? They too must've considered the decision to have them.

I am just back from Silhouette and looking in to my next cruise. I am indeed swayed to those cruiselines who do offer self service laundries. And I am not the only one who has stated this on this thread. So, maybe it does affect Celebrity's bottom line to not have laundries.

[quote name='richstowe']

[B]Emileg [/B]
[B]"[/B] Incidentally, we have also cruised Princess and Cunard. Never read on those CC boards about anyone wanting the lines to get rid of the self-service laundries."

Love this point. Perhaps the idea of no self-serve laundry appeals to those who want to assure themselves that they are on a classy cruise.:p[/quote]

They may like to assure themselves they are on a classy line, but this is a fallacy. We often came back to the ship on our recent Silhouette cruise and saw laundry hanging on the balconies (incl underwear) - now that is so NOT classy :eek:

[quote name='Mercury']Yes, the cruising industry is very competitive. So why do other cruiselines have laundries on board? They too must've considered the decision to have them.

I am just back from Silhouette and looking in to my next cruise. I am indeed swayed to those cruiselines who do offer self service laundries. And I am not the only one who has stated this on this thread. So, maybe it does affect Celebrity's bottom line to not have laundries.[/QUOTE]

I doubt Celebrity is hurting much by not having laundry facilities. Their ships are always full, and revenues are up.

[quote name='Ma Bell']In all my years on Celebrity, I've never seen laundry on the balconies.[/QUOTE]

True that. I've never seen it either, and never read any complaints about it until now. Seems that the only person making such a claim is one of the laundry room pushers. Smells like a fabricated claim to me.

We have taken many cruises, and the only time a laundromat has powerful appeal is on a very long cruise, say 46 days. I travel with many Chico's Travelers, and they do not do well in ships' laundries. If you work as a stilt-walker you can hand wash pants. Spot cleaning only goes so far. These items don't dry clean, either. Otherwise, on shorter voyages, it's nice to use the ship's laundry and dry cleaners.

[quote name='Allis154']I intended the poll to insert some light-heartedness to w[COLOR=DarkRed][B]hat has become a very heated, vehement and sometimes nasty discussion.[/B][/COLOR] I wouldn’t expect anybody to [U]riot[/U] over this and more then I would expect someone to spend [U]all[/U] their time in the laundry.

Perhaps you should post your own poll with what you consider acceptable answers.

:)[/quote][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkRed][B]I understand how things can be heated over smoking, kids in adult area even MDR dress code but self-service laundry![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]:rolleyes:

Archived