Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships

Allis154

What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?  

411 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?

• Would LOVE a self-service laundry! Would use it all the time!
    • Having the option of a self-service laundry would be great!
    • Doesn't matter to me if there is a self-service laundry.
    • NO WAY! NO HOW! I would RIOT if there was EVER a self-service laundry on a Celebrity Ship!

[quote name='Mercury']I can only speak for myself, but I don't think anyone in favour of self service laundries thinks that Celebrity is now going to refit S-class ships as a result of this poll.

I do however believe that any self respecting and successful company does take note of what its customers want. So, what I hope will be achieved by this is that Celebrity will realise that this poll shows that more than half of cruisers would like a self-service laundry.

Just curious: Do you know how many passengers cruise on a Celebrity ship each year?
Did "half" of that total number of passengers respond to the poll?
What is the difference between a "random sample" and a "scientific sample"?
What percentage of passengers on lines with self service laundy facilities actually use them?
What would be the cost-benefit of doing what you want them to do?
I want to see the specific data to support claims, not guesses or hunches.

[quote name='Mercury']I can only speak for myself, but I don't think anyone in favour of self service laundries thinks that Celebrity is now going to refit S-class ships as a result of this poll.

I do however believe that any self respecting and successful company does take note of what its customers want. So, what I hope will be achieved by this is that Celebrity will realise that this poll shows that more than half of cruisers would like a self-service laundry. And then conduct their own research to test whether this is in fact the case. And if so, consider it for FUTURE ships. (Which goes back to what Mr Bayley in any case said on this issue.)

As far as I am concerned, I was just interersted to see what the result of a poll would be. I thought that with all the flames on this topic, it would be 80% in favour of NOT having self service laundries. And probably that's what most members thought too. (And probably, Celebrity too). But this shows that most people DO want them and thus more research is warranted in FUTURE.[/QUOTE]

The flaw in your suggestion that over half of the cruisers would like self service laundry is the problematic choice #4 and the comments by many who refused to participate because of it's biased wording. Again, any self respecting company would NEVER see this poll as a valid sampling of customer preferences because it is so biased. It is deliberately worded to get the results the OP wanted, and the poll would be ignored.

Plus, there is the matter of the thread topic. Most people who have no interest in self service laundry facilities would have ignored this thread and never opened it (I now wish I was one of them), while many of the people who were interested would open the thread out of curiosity at the least. A poll that is primarily of interest to the select group it is intended to represent automatically skews the poll to favorable responses. When the poll is ignored by a potentially large percentage of the customer base who have no interest in the topic, it is of no value. Cruise Critic has a member base of thousands, and Celebrity has a customer base of hundreds of thousands. A mere 185 votes out of the vast thousands who cruise is not a reliable representation.

In fact, as I write this 3,089 people have opened this thread. Yet only 185 have voted in favor. So, another way to skew the results is that 2,904 people either did not find this poll interesting enough to vote in it or voted that they did not care. 185 who want the facilities against 2,904 who have no desire for them. The inevitable conclusion is that the favorable votes represent only 5% of the people who opened the thread. Put another way, 95% don't desire self service facilities.

[quote name='boogs']The flaw in your suggestion that over half of the cruisers would like self service laundry is the problematic choice #4 and the comments by many who refused to participate because of it's biased wording. Again, any self respecting company would NEVER see this poll as a valid sampling of customer preferences because it is so biased. It is deliberately worded to get the results the OP wanted, and the poll would be ignored.

Plus, there is the matter of the thread topic. Most people who have no interest in self service laundry facilities would have ignored this thread and never opened it (I now wish I was one of them), while many of the people who were interested would open the thread out of curiosity at the least. A poll that is primarily of interest to the select group it is intended to represent automatically skews the poll to favorable responses. When the poll is ignored by a potentially large percentage of the customer base who have no interest in the topic, it is of no value. Cruise Critic has a member base of thousands, and Celebrity has a customer base of hundreds of thousands. A mere 185 votes out of the vast thousands who cruise is not a reliable representation.

In fact, as I write this 3,089 people have opened this thread. Yet only 185 have voted in favor. So, another way to skew the results is that 2,904 people either did not find this poll interesting enough to vote in it or voted that they did not care. 185 who want the facilities against 2,904 who have no need for them. Seems like the favorable votes lost big time.[/QUOTE]

Those who know call this: Sampling Error". For those who may not know: Sampling error is a deviation of the sample from the true characterstics of the group that is the subject of the question.A good sample must be an accurate reflection of the entire group. This poll fails even the most basic tests of validity and reliablility and therefore is meaningless.

[quote name='Orator']Those who know call this: Sampling Error". For those who may not know: Sampling error is a deviation of the sample from the true characterstics of the group that is the subject of the question.A good sample must be an accurate reflection of the entire group. This poll fails even the most basic tests of validity and reliablility and therefore is meaningless.[/quote]

This poll is indeed a sample. The scientific nature which you would like to see, it does not purport to be. That is for Celebrity to do and to hire someone with your superior knowledge to run.

[quote name='boogs']
In fact, as I write this 3,089 people have opened this thread. Yet only 185 have voted in favor. So, another way to skew the results is that 2,904 people either did not find this poll interesting enough to vote in it or voted that they did not care. 185 who want the facilities against 2,904 who have no desire for them. The inevitable conclusion is that the favorable votes represent only 5% of the people who opened the thread. Put another way, 95% don't desire self service facilities.[/quote]

In "fact" have you considered that the same person opens the thread a number of times, but is only able to vote once? Your numbers are laughable.

[quote name='Mercury']This poll is indeed a sample. The scientific nature which you would like to see, it does not purport to be. That is for Celebrity to do and to hire someone with your superior knowledge to run.[/QUOTE]

Not true. It is the obligation of the one who makes a claim to prove it!

[quote name='Mercury']In "fact" have you considered that the same person opens the thread a number of times, but is only able to vote once? Your numbers are laughable.[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll concede to your suggestion that some people open this thread multiple times. You and I are certainly guilty of that. So, as a show of fairness, I will assume that HALF the 3,000+ openings are repeats. I'll cut the number down to 1,500 individual people opening this thread.

New conclusion - 12% of the respondents voted in favor, 88% aren't even interested enough in self service facilities to even vote in favor. Such an amazing improvement in the results! In real a voting situation, that would be called a "Landslide" for the opponent. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Mercury']In "fact" have you considered that the same person opens the thread a number of times, but is only able to vote once? Your numbers are laughable.[/quote]

[quote name='Orator']Not true. It is the obligation of the one who makes a claim to prove it![/quote]
Now children please play nicely or someone will take away your posting privileges.

[quote name='terrierjohn']Now children please play nicely or someone will take away your posting privileges.[/QUOTE]

Don't beleieve that it's a violation of the rules to ask one to factually support their inferences.

[quote name='boogs']OK, I'll concede to your suggestion that some people open this thread multiple times. You and I are certainly guilty of that. So, as a show of fairness, I will assume that HALF the 3,000+ openings are repeats. I'll cut the number down to 1,500 individual people opening this thread.

New conclusion - 12% of the respondents voted in favor, 88% aren't even interested enough in self service facilities to even vote in favor. Such an amazing improvement in the results! In real a voting situation, that would be called a "Landslide" for the opponent. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Oh, apologies Orator - I see you are referring to boogs - some interesting claims here...

My question: does our laundry get washed with other peoples laundry? :(
Does my bag of clothes get dumped into a big tub with others? Just not sure I like that concept. So that is why I prefer a self-serve laundry. Doing a load of laundry on a cruise is hardly work, and more mentally comforting. :)

I do however believe that any self respecting and successful company does take note of what its customers want. So, what I hope will be achieved by this is that Celebrity will realise that this poll shows that more than half of cruisers would like a self-service laundry. And then conduct their own research to test whether this is in fact the case. And if so, consider it for FUTURE ships. (Which goes back to what Mr Bayley in any case said on this issue.)

As far as I am concerned, I was just interersted to see what the result of a poll would be. I thought that with all the flames on this topic, it would be 80% in favour of NOT having self service laundries. And probably that's what most members thought too. (And probably, Celebrity too). But this shows that most people DO want them and thus more research is warranted in FUTURE.[/quote]

I quite agree with your analogy, the results of the Poll clearly state that self service laundry facilities are warranted. I am sure if Celebrity are viewing this they may consider instigating their own research into the matter, lets hope they do.:)

[quote name='Orator'][quote name='Mercury']I can only speak for myself, but I don't think anyone in favour of self service laundries thinks that Celebrity is now going to refit S-class ships as a result of this poll.

I do however believe that any self respecting and successful company does take note of what its customers want. So, what I hope will be achieved by this is that Celebrity will realise that this poll shows that more than half of cruisers would like a self-service laundry.

Just curious: Do you know how many passengers cruise on a Celebrity ship each year?
Did "half" of that total number of passengers respond to the poll?
What is the difference between a "random sample" and a "scientific sample"?
What percentage of passengers on lines with self service laundy facilities actually use them?
What would be the cost-benefit of doing what you want them to do?
I want to see the specific data to support claims, not guesses or hunches.[/quote]

Do you know the answers to the questions you have asked?

Also, do you know how many Celebrity customers read Cruise Critic?

....... And how long is a piece of string??????

[quote name='streetspirit']I personally cannot see Celebrity installing self service laundry when they are making a stack of money doing it for you. Maybe it's worth saving some OBC back to cover the cost of any laundry you need doing? Do you beleive Celebrity would cut the cost of drinks if a similar poll was devised with the majority voting in favour. I would very much doubt it. Unfortunately it is what it is. How many 5 star hotels offer self service laundry??? Not many if any I would assume. As someone else has already said that if you want self service laundry go to a cruise line that offered it.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't want self service laundry but it's clear that Celebrity does not want to introduce it.[/quote]

Well said 'streetspirit'...

Jill:)

[quote name='jackdiamond']Folks, it is really simplistic. Only about 8-10% of cruisers use or read CC; hence, [B]any poll herein, while interesting, is probably not considered to be viable by the Celebrity officials[/B].[/QUOTE]

Especially if it is as poorly worded as this one and blatantly biased in one direction. Celebrity management aren't stupid people. :rolleyes:

[quote name='OCruisers']While I wouldn't use the self-service laundry, it certainly wouldn't bother me if it were available for those who wished.

LuLu
~~~~~[/quote]
Thank you, LuLu, for the most sensible post I have read on this thread yet.

[quote name='Aussie Claire'][quote name='Orator']

Do you know the answers to the questions you have asked?

Also, do you know how many Celebrity customers read Cruise Critic?

....... And how long is a piece of string??????[/QUOTE]

Yes

A piece of string is as long as you want it to be. Of course that's based on one's definition of "piece". I choose to define it operationally. Your criteria could be different and I would respect that.

I look forward to returning to Austrailia. Fine people and scenery. I was able to see an Aussie Rules Football match between North Melbourne and Carleton. Wonderful game and the crowd was fantastic.
Since I've answered your questions I can now turn my attention to other things like convincing Bentley Motor Cars to give me a Bentley. I really want one and I believe that it should be provided for my use. It would just make my long drives more enjoyable.

[quote name='Orator'][quote name='Aussie Claire']

Yes

A piece of string is as long as you want it to be. Of course that's based on one's definition of "piece". I choose to define it operationally. Your criteria could be different and I would respect that.

I look forward to returning to Austrailia. Fine people and scenery. I was able to see an Aussie Rules Football match between North Melbourne and Carleton. Wonderful game and the crowd was fantastic.
Since I've answered your questions I can now turn my attention to other things like convincing Bentley Motor Cars to give me a Bentley. I really want one and I believe that it should be provided for my use. It would just make my long drives more enjoyable.[/quote]

LOL,:) good luck with the Bentley.

p.s. most of our hotels have Self Service laundries for your convenience.

I have worked in hotels all over the world, 3 continents and an island - and 90% of the hotels I have worked in do NOT have self service laundries.
Then again I have not worked in the "budget" hotels although have stayed in many, which sometimes may have them.

However THOSE kind of hotels are kind of like comparing a Celebrity Ship to a tugboat .. so "whatever floats your boat" I guess but please don't say that "most" hotels have self service laundries because that is simply not true.

Archived