Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships

Allis154

What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?  

411 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Self-Service Laundry on Celebrity Ships?

• Would LOVE a self-service laundry! Would use it all the time!
    • Having the option of a self-service laundry would be great!
    • Doesn't matter to me if there is a self-service laundry.
    • NO WAY! NO HOW! I would RIOT if there was EVER a self-service laundry on a Celebrity Ship!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize that on a vacation, clothes get dirty. Some of us are on vacations that are two weeks or more when pre and post cruise hotel stays are considered. I am amazed that the some of same folks who constantly harp on enforcement of the dress suggestions in the MDR oppose a self service laundry for the rest of us to get our clothes clean which might enable us to meet your standards in the MDR. If you don't want to use a self service laundry, that is certainly your choice. BUT please give the rest of us who want a self service laundry the chance to do so!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize that on a vacation, clothes get dirty. Some of us are on vacations that are two weeks or more when pre and post cruise hotel stays are considered. I am amazed that the some of same folks who constantly harp on enforcement of the dress suggestions in the MDR oppose a self service laundry for the rest of us to get our clothes clean which might enable us to meet your standards in the MDR. If you don't want to use a self service laundry, that is certainly your choice. BUT please give the rest of us who want a self service laundry the chance to do so!

Beautifully said.;):)

Beautifully said.;):)
Agree! I'm betting those most against self-serve machines are the same ones most self righteous about MDR clothing standards.

BTW Yes this poll is VERY flawed. Still less then 15% don't want the option of self service machines. Less then 15%!

So you agree, do not send your nice clothing to the Celebrity laundry.

Ma Bell, if we can't send our "nice" clothing to the laundry and they are not suitable for dry cleaning, what do you suggest we do with them, besides hand washing?

I am only allowed one suitcase by the airline when I travel and I will not waste money on excess baggage, plus one suitcase and one carryon is enough to carry through airports etc. Remember we fly half way around the world to cruise with Celebrity, plus we normally add on pre and post days to the cruise totalling almost a month travelling.

SS Laundry facilities make sense.

Are you only allowed one suitcase or are you only allowed one "free" suitcase? I would never send my jeans or delicate clothing to a "laundry" at home or in a hotel either. Public laundries wash clothing in hot water. They need to be dry cleaned.

My cruises are always at least two weeks. I didn't say I necessarily oppose a self-serve laundry. I don't think they are necessary. What I said was Celebrity doesn't have them and probably won't have them any time in the near future, so it might be a good idea to learn how to use the laundries they have if you are going to sail on Celebrity. I do oppose, hanging laundry on the balcony.

I also don't have "my standards" for dress codes. They belong to Celebrity on their ships. This is not a dress code thread but those seem to be the only ones you post to.

Agree! I'm betting those most against self-serve machines are the same ones most self righteous about MDR clothing standards.

BTW Yes this poll is VERY flawed. Still less then 15% don't want the option of self service machines. Less then 15%!

I"m betting that most that are for having machines don't sail on Celebrity.

I"m betting that most that are for having machines don't sail on Celebrity.

You are possibly correct. And, maybe Celebrity would get more business from these people if they did install ss laundries. [Remeber both premium lines and "budget" lines have ss laundries].

The latest trends are all about packing light NOT packing as much as you want.

When we travel, there are four of us to think about (my DH, myself and 2 children). We already have more than enough luggage without me just packing as much as I want to. We also travel a looooong way to get to our cruise destination and always add on a land-based stay.

Perhaps you need to think a little wider than just your own needs. As has been pointed out numerous times, you don't have to use the ss laundry. You are welcome to leave your clothes at the mercy of the onboard laundry, but let the rest of us voice that we would like to have a choice.

You are able to voice whatever you want. I understand that you want a laundry on Celebrity. They don't have them and are not likely to have them so if you would like to continue to whistle in the wind rather than thinking of alternatives...go right ahead. They have just finished building a wonderful series of ships and since they never decided to include a self-serve laundry as part of their plans it seems unlikely that they will do so now. They seem to have purposely decided not to have self-serve laundries and there are certainly reasons that they would make that choice. As some of the cruiseline executives recently said, they don't all want to cater to exactly the same market. I have raised 4 children and have 7 grandchildren so I'm well aware of your needs. We have traveled on Celebrity with the whole group without any problem and without anyone hanging laundry on their balcony. We take a vacation with the whole family every year when the kids get out of school. We travel long distances to cruise as well, we live in Arizona.

I also know that there are places and purveyors that suit my needs and some that don't so perhaps you are the one who needs to think outside your own needs. If I can't make it work on one there is always another. I also don't think every business in the world needs to be all things to all people.

Wow... I've been following this thread with amusement, but it really isn't amusing anymore. I cannot believe how nasty some people are being - on BOTH sides of this issue, over something like this.

If you want SSL facilities that badly, sail another line that has them. If you want SSL facilities, but love X anyway, for now you have to either handwash, use X's laundry services or do your laundry in port. Those are your choices, it's that simple. By all means, express your wish for SSL to X, but if you don't get it in future, you have a decision to make as to whether you will continue to sail with X.

For those that seem to be so vehemently against SSL facilities, I don't understand why it is such an issue. If you don't want it, don't use it. I don't claim to know which ships may have space that is underused that could possibly be converted for SSL, or if there is no space. I can't imagine that a large, open room with washers/dryers and some tables would generate a large reno cost. Another poster stated that the ship would lose the revenue from people using X's current laundry service. I'm not so sure they would lose that much given the many opinions on here from people who say they wouldn't use SSL facilities even if they were there. There are people lugging washing out with them on port days to do laundry outside... those people would bring new revenue to the ship.

My personal preference would be to have SSL. I do not like to spend my vacation time doing laundry, but would prefer to spend a couple of hours a week doing laundry than having someone else do it, and have it comingled with other peoples' clothes. If X never puts SSL in, no biggie. I will continue on as I have.

As much as I would like SSL, I would never for a moment consider hanging laundry outside on my verandah. It says no personal belongings should be outside... and yes, clothes ARE personal belongings. I do not understand the mindset of people that choose to disregard rules/policies and feel that for some reason the rules should not apply to them. Would you hang your laundry on your balcony at a hotel or over an apartment balcony? Wait... maybe I don't want to know the answer. :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,

As this thread has deteriorated into nothing but arugments & insults, it's safe to say this thread has run it's course, and is now closed. Thank You.

Archived