LIVE(or at least my best attempt) from the Oasis Of The Seas, sailing October 13th

Thanks, Chris for your awesome trip report.

One question - what time did they finally kick you off of Oasis this morning? My group will be in no hurry to get anywhere when we debark in January, just wondering how long you can hang out?

Hope your trip home was safe and enjoyable (well, as much as it could be, being the end of such a wonderful trip).

I am home safe and sound my friends! I did the luggage valet so I was able to leave anytime between 7:15am and 9:45am. I left the ship at 9:30

I know it wasn't originally Starbucks on Oasis. My vacation treat!

BTW, it is NOT free at Starbucks--typical pricing.

THANK YOU for this AMAZING report; we just booked Oasis for March 2014...booked a CPark balcony but after looking at the views, I am calling the TA to change to boardwalk (on the end w/ the ocean views).

Good decision, it is my room that Chris took pics from and I loved it. Those who had central park balconys were not as happy and I thought it was very warm in there. If you don't mind lack of privacy go for a boardwalk balcony!

Triena

Terrific review and photos! We were on this cruise also with a total of 13 family members. Thanks to you, Emmy and all the others for opening your cabins for the crawl. The last time I was on Oasis the cabin crawl never materialized so it was really appreciated.

There are so many places to go on this ship where there are very few people. I actually felt much more crowded on smaller ships.

There are moments of crowding, when everyone needs to be at the same place in a short time, such as the elevators near the dining room on formal nights, but that is really an exception.

Good morning friends from my home! I am still sitting here amazed at what I have experienced over the past week. A fantastic cruise, an incredible ship, amazing friends, the list goes on and on. I will have to sail on Oasis or Allure again there's just no doubt about it. This was also my first western Caribbean cruise as well so that was a new experience to me. I know I told everyone how much I loved the Eurodam and Ruby Princess, and believe I did enjoy them a lot. But Oasis takes cruising to a whole new level.

Will I try a couple of other ships? Sure I will but I must admit(and this will come as no surprise to friends like Emmy, Breeezy, Aquahound, and others) I am hooked on the Oasis class. I'll give my final thoughts on this cruise in just a few minutes

Chris,

Glad you made it home safely!! You really have me looking forward to our cruise in 13 days. (yes, I'm counting!!!) Up until last Thanksgiving, when we sailed on the Ruby Princess, we had pretty much only sailed on RCCL and mostly on the Adventure Class. Last year we were going to sail on the Liberty (Freedom class) but before we could book, the price doubled and we didn't feel that it was worth it for only 5 days. We went with the Ruby Princess mostly to be able to try a different itinerary as it went to Turks & Caicos. We had a great cruise, but we missed the RCCL touch and ammenities. So, after hearing you say you really liked the Oasis class, I have a feeling I'm going to be hooked as well!!

Thank you for all the time, energy, and effort you put in to your review this week, it's really appreciated!!

The GREAT(yep I said it) about Oasis:

The ship is just amazing. So many things to do. I didn't even try to do them all so I could enjoy this cruise even more.

The service for the most part was outstanding(I'll get to the bad part later). I appreciated that my cabin steward, some of the bartenders recognized me, knew what I wanted, and went out of there way to make sure I was taken care of. It was nice to see people going around with a smile for a change considering how many passengers they have to take care of.

I felt the food was very good(the lobster seemed a little dry but I can get over that) The roast beef sandwich at Park Cafe? Just as good as everyone said. The best meal I had in my opinion was at Giovanni's Table. Just excellent food and service. Our waitress was an absolute sweetheart from Italy.

The layout of the ship was outstanding. Not once did I feel crowded on this ship. Royal has this nailed. Let's hope Sunshine class will be the same way

The shows were great. Quest and Love and Marriage will have you in tears from laughing so hard.

The embark/disembark process was probably the smoothest I have seen. Other cruise lines could take lessons from how it's done for Oasis and Allure.

Loved my junior suite. It was great for a big person like myself. And the tv carried Fox News:D another plus to me

The selection of restaurants and bars meant there's something for everyone to like. Kudos to RCCL for offering so many options

The bad about Oasis(very few)

I had mentioned the treatment room when I got my massage. I thought the spa was beautiful until I got to that room. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my massage but I was reminded of being in an examination room at a doctor's office. Not exactly a way to make one feel relaxed

I think the constant reminding of filling out the survey and rating everything excellent was annoying. Especially when our waiter at Chops kept reminding us about it during the whole meal. That I did complain to the manager about. This is also being discussed on another thread. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that seems very annoyed by this constant reminding of a survey and how I should fill it out.

The pizza at Sorrento's is nothing to write home about. Not bad, but I have had better.

The wait time for an elevator seemed to be at times very long. I can understand right after a show or dinner but even no one was around it felt like placing a bet to see which elevator might eventually get to you. At times I ended just taking the stairs

There was an incident at Pets At Sea where I wanted to get a stuffed pet for a friend of mine and the two people in there would not wait on me but another person walked in after me and they jumped right up to help her. A visit to guest relations resolved this situation immediately so that was also a minor complaint. Just my opinion but I'm not standing there just for the heck of it in a store and I shouldn't have to say something in order to get help.

And now....

For the two things that in my opinion is something one can't miss out on and the one thing that did really anger me on this cruise(which hopefully a complaint to a very nice and receptive manager named Nick will resolve for future cruises)

If you can do it, DO NOT MISS OUT ON THE BEHIND THE SCENES TOUR! It was well worth the 150 dollars(which will not be charged to your sea pass card till completion of the tour) to see how they make things work on this incredible ship. From the Aquatheater, to the galley on one of the floors of the MDR, the provisions area, the engine control room, laundry, crew facilities, to the bridge, it is an absolutely incredible and at times jaw dropping tour to see how things operate on Oasis.

If you can do it friends, don't miss out on it!

The bad about Oasis(very few)

I had mentioned the treatment room when I got my massage. I thought the spa was beautiful until I got to that room. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my massage but I was reminded of being in an examination room at a doctor's office. Not exactly a way to make one feel relaxed

I think the constant reminding of filling out the survey and rating everything excellent was annoying. Especially when our waiter at Chops kept reminding us about it during the whole meal. That I did complain to the manager about. This is also being discussed on another thread. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that seems very annoyed by this constant reminding of a survey and how I should fill it out.

The pizza at Sorrento's is nothing to write home about. Not bad, but I have had better.

The wait time for an elevator seemed to be at times very long. I can understand right after a show or dinner but even no one was around it felt like placing a bet to see which elevator might eventually get to you. At times I ended just taking the stairs

There was an incident at Pets At Sea where I wanted to get a stuffed pet for a friend of mine and the two people in there would not wait on me but another person walked in after me and they jumped right up to help her. A visit to guest relations resolved this situation immediately so that was also a minor complaint. Just my opinion but I'm not standing there just for the heck of it in a store and I shouldn't have to say something in order to get help.

Agree with you about the elevators. The thing that was most frustrating on the Allure was waiting for the elevator and then stopping on every deck thereafter.

And now....

For the two things that in my opinion is something one can't miss out on and the one thing that did really anger me on this cruise(which hopefully a complaint to a very nice and receptive manager named Nick will resolve for future cruises)

If you can do it, DO NOT MISS OUT ON THE BEHIND THE SCENES TOUR! It was well worth the 150 dollars(which will not be charged to your sea pass card till completion of the tour) to see how they make things work on this incredible ship. From the Aquatheater, to the galley on one of the floors of the MDR, the provisions area, the engine control room, laundry, crew facilities, to the bridge, it is an absolutely incredible and at times jaw dropping tour to see how things operate on Oasis.

If you can do it friends, don't miss out on it!

You didn't mention what angered you. Was it the idiot on your tour that kept pushing his way to the front? If so, I have to say, we encountered quite a few of his kind, especially toward the end of the cruise. Some people just shouldn't be allowed out in public. :rolleyes:

You didn't mention what angered you. Was it the idiot on your tour that kept pushing his way to the front? If so, I have to say, we encountered quite a few of his kind, especially toward the end of the cruise. Some people just shouldn't be allowed out in public. :rolleyes:

Oh I agree with that Paul. I'll be mentioning what really angered me here shortly.

Chris, thanks so much for all your pictures and comments on the Lady O. Now, for sure, I CAN'T WAIT for February to be here... I will be boarding on February 2, 2013... :D

As my 1st cruise, I will not go to any paying venues for food - but because of your comments and picture, I am definately thinking about the behind the scene tour...

My mother and I have book a CP view cabin (no balcony) on deck 9. Hoping our TA made a good choice for us.

I enjoyed the past week reading your nice Live review.

Happy you had good time and that you are home safe and sound.

:)

And now as promised what did really anger me on this cruise, which as I said a complaint to a very nice and receptive restaurant manager named Nick will resolve for future cruises.

Our second formal night was also lobster night before we arrived in Cozumel. Formal means FORMAL. Wear a tuxedo, a suit, for the women a nice dress or business suit. At least make the effort to dress up for formal night in the MDR. If you do not want to dress up there are plenty of other venues for you dine at.

I do fault the people for showing up at the MDR not properly dressed for formal nights but I put even more fault on the MDR for going ahead and seating people who were wearing t-shirts, tank tops, shorts, flip flops while the rest of us have made the effort.

I find it unacceptable that the MDR staff did not enforce the dress code. If you're not wanting to offend people who want to dine on lobster in the MDR by turning them away you ARE offending the rest of us who properly dressed for the occasion. Again, FORMAL MEANS FORMAL.

When I was on the Eurodam and Ruby Princess the dress code was enforced. I watched them turn people away and when those said diners got angry they were calmly told by the manager "I'm sorry, you are not properly dressed for the dining room and I can't now allow you to dine here."

Let's hope this practice is enforced on future cruises aboard Oasis.

That one major gripe aside my friends, Oasis is awesome and I will cruise on her again. So with that being said, LIVE from the Oasis Of The Seas has now concluded. I will be happy to try and answer any questions as best as I can. It was a lot of fun to do this and I thank Radio for the inspiration to give it a shot. And as he would say....

Thanks for tuning in everyone! :)

That one major gripe aside my friends, Oasis is awesome and I will cruise on her again. So with that being said, LIVE from the Oasis Of The Seas has now concluded. I will be happy to try and answer any questions as best as I can. It was a lot of fun to do this and I thank Radio for the inspiration to give it a shot. And as he would say....

Thanks for tuning in everyone! :)

Thank you Chris. I just read your entire review and LOVE your photos!! You are a great photographer. I will be sailing on the Oasis Nov.3-10 and am so excited. Thank you again for taking the time.

Lisa

And now as promised what did really anger me on this cruise, which as I said a complaint to a very nice and receptive restaurant manager named Nick will resolve for future cruises.

Our second formal night was also lobster night on the 5th night before we arrived in Cozumel. Formal means FORMAL. Wear a tuxedo, a suit, for the women a nice dress or business suit. At least make the effort to dress formal for formal night in the MDR. If you do not want to dress up there are plenty of other venues for you dine at.

I do fault the people for showing up at the MDR not properly dressed for formal nights but I put even more fault on the MDR for going ahead and seating people who were wearing t-shirts, tank tops, shorts, flip flops while the rest of us have made the effort.

I find it unacceptable that the MDR staff did not enforce the dress code. If you're not wanting to offend people who want to dine on lobster in the MDR by turning them away you ARE offending the rest of us who properly dressed for the occasion. Again, FORMAL MEANS FORMAL.

When I was on the Eurodam and Ruby Princess the dress code was enforced. I watched them turn people away and when those said diners got angry they were calmly told by the manger "I'm sorry, you are not properly dressed for the dining room and I can't now allow you to dine here."

Let's hope this practice is enforced on future cruises aboard Oasis.

Agreed times 1,000! We also make a note of this on our guest survey. I've been on a number of cruises and there will always be those select few who do not dress appropriately in the dining room on formal night but this was taken to a whole new level.

We saw no less than 30+ people sitting at the 4 tables right next to us in very inappropriate attire for the dining room, much less formal night. And they were letting their children run around and do gymnastics, getting in the waiters way, screaming at each other, etc....We ate as quickly as possible and got right out of there.

It REALLY bothered me that whoever the maitre d' was (or maybe he was the restaurant manager??) was encouraging this type of activity to this group. He was playing with the kids as they were running around out of control! :eek:

Archived