Paying for Luggage Fees online?

NW Pacific

We will be staying at at Hotel in Newark the day before our flight, doing 24 hr before check in? Will be checking 2 bags, know the fee, but do not want to pay for them on-line from Hotel computer. United has said that online check in will give choice of "undecided" when it comes to "are you checking a bag" and just check this, anyone with experience know if this works well, can you just print out boarding passes and then pay baggage fee at the check in counter.

Always like to double check information, thanks for anyone that has time.

That should be no problem. I always do the same thing, as computers in public areas are always a risk for using confidential informations such as credit cards etc.

So, you can just check-in, print your boarding passes (or get them send to your phone) and head to the airport to pay over there before you catch your flight.

Not sure how United works, but some airlines give sort of a reduction when buying bags in advance. But on the other hand, I'd spend a couple of bucks extra just to make sure my CC info is safe.

Some cc companies offer a service that allow you to use your CC on line with their web site to create a "dummy" cc # to be used on line with other vendors, both BoA and Discover offer this service. With BoA you indicate a maximum amount for the dummy # and the # of months you want the # available. You can then use that # on line to pay for your luggage fees and once used the # is invalid. I've used this hundreds on times for online shopping with no problems.

Mary Lou

No smart phone, only a rather dumb one.

WE have BOA so could research the dummy card, have seen it advertised.

Just wanting to know if anyone has used United check in online and given the choice "undecided" and could still print boarding passes and pay at airport. Feel confident this will work, there must be a lot of "old school" people that fly ?? (hope so) thanks for your replies

No smart phone, only a rather dumb one.

WE have BOA so could research the dummy card, have seen it advertised.

Just wanting to know if anyone has used United check in online and given the choice "undecided" and could still print boarding passes and pay at airport. Feel confident this will work, there must be a lot of "old school" people that fly ?? (hope so) thanks for your replies

On our last cruise I was not able to get a working computer at the hotel before our flight home. The desk clerk printed the boarding passes for me from the office and I'm sure she had to check undecided regarding the luggage question. We paid for the checked bags at the airline check in counter.

Mary Lou

On two related notes... be sure to call and place a "travel notice" on all the cards you're taking with you. They will ask for a few details (when and where you're going). Otherwise your card can be locked when the CC fraud department sees unusual spending behavior. Getting it unlocked while traveling can be a headache.

Also, if you're going outside North America and your PINs are based on words, be aware PIN pads at stores and on ATMs do not carry letters with the numbers in most other parts of the world. Convert the word to the number equivalent and memorize it, or jot down the letter-to-number translation as a handy guide.

Why would anyone ever want to prepay luggage fees unless it is virtually free? What if you get to the airport and your flight is canceled and you are rerouted on another airline? That is exactly what happened to a friend of mine. It took her more effort than it was worth to get her prepaid luggage fee back from United. She ended up flying on Delta and paying them for luggage. I would never prepay luggage fees unless the discount it so huge it is virtually free...and we know that will never happen!

Archived