Lack of formal nights!

Sikwemu

Took a B5 guarantee for the Southampton-Singapore stretch of the 2013 World and just been allocated a B3-no problem there. Just read the dress list though and discovered the 30 nights are 7 semi, 8 formal and 15 elegant casual! This will be our third year on the world segments and I can't remember so many EC. They are my least liked nights as I prefer to seriously dress up on Cunard.

Is it my memory or is it another little downgrading of standards?

There is something going wrong with Cunard!

A couplee of days ago I booked a cruise with many seadays because I expected consequently many formal nights.

Yet, as I had had to find out in the VP, out of nine sea days there are only four formal nights. But of course the cruise has a huge number of "elegant casual" nights.

I thought this was Cunard ....

This could be a case of dumbing down to attract business. Many passengers would be quite happy with this number of formals.. You may be in a minority.

As to the other dress codes, semi formal and elegant casual the difference between them is .......a tie. I don't know who thought that one up but there seems to be a horror at the thought of gents dining in shirt sleeves (ladies as always can wear pretty much what they like)

David.

Both nights on QV for the 2 day cruise next week are elegant casual. First night was initially billed as formal but was changed about a month ago to lots of people's disappointment.

Gillian

It's difficult to schedule a formal night on a 2-day cruise. the first night usually isn't formal because people may get their luggage too late to change into formal wear. And the last night usually isn't formal because people have to pack up their formal wear. I'm not surprised that there will be no formal night, but I am suprised that they announced one.

Formal nights seem to come and go on these short cruises.

There is something going wrong with Cunard!

A couplee of days ago I booked a cruise with many seadays because I expected consequently many formal nights.Yet, as I had had to find out in the VP, out of nine sea days there are only four formal nights. But of course the cruise has a huge number of "elegant casual" nights.I thought this was Cunard ....

Maybe Cunard have been reading this board and have noted the people who post here on occasions... who are thinking of booking a Cunard voyage... who refuse to wear a jacket/tie/suit... who ask how formal is the buffet area?... who would book a trip... if only they could wear whatever they normally wear at home when slumped over a couch watching TV :( .

The ones who would rather put the jacket over the back of a chair (the one in their cabin...), wear shorts all day & night, wear wife-beaters/t-shirts/polo shirts/golfing shirts/logo-covered sports clothing/jogging trousers/track suits to dinner :mad: .

Personally, the more formal nights the better.

Both nights on QV for the 2 day cruise next week are elegant casual. First night was initially billed as formal but was changed about a month ago to lots of people's disappointment.

Gillian

Quite often, once on board, the second night is billed as "optional formal". Also, many passengers dress in formal wear anyway on at least one night of these short cruises, regardless of the dress code. Hope this helps. :)

Maybe Cunard have been reading this board and have noted the people who post here on occasions... who are thinking of booking a Cunard voyage... who refuse to wear a jacket/tie/suit... who ask how formal is the buffet area?... who would book a trip... if only they could wear whatever they normally wear at home when slumped over a couch watching TV :( .

The ones who would rather put the jacket over the back of a chair (the one in their cabin...), wear shorts all day & night, wear wife-beaters/t-shirts/polo shirts/golfing shirts/logo-covered sports clothing/jogging trousers/track suits to dinner :mad: .

Personally, the more formal nights the better.

I agree! I sure wouldn't wear on the ship (even during the day) what I'm wearing slumped over the computer in my office at home! :eek:

I agree! I sure wouldn't wear on the ship (even during the day) what I'm wearing slumped over the computer in my office at home! :eek:

Agree 100%. My current garb would look just a weensy leetle tiny bit out of place on a Cunard ship right at this moment.

On our recent cruise we had 20 nights in total of which only 5 were formal. And that was in spite of having loads of sea days. Too few for my liking. But, on the upside, I don't think I saw a single infringement of the dress code on any of the (admittedly few) formal nights. On one semi formal night we though we saw a guy being turned away from the Britannia because he was wearing a short sleeve, open neck shirt and shorts. But with the benefit of rather more analytical hind sight, I think he had only come to the entrance to ask the Maitre d' a question or something like that.

J

Don't let Cunard tell you what to wear, just because the sign says "Elegant Casual" doesn't make it mandatory, glam up, steal the show, strut your stuff & show them how its done. Wear your finery if you want to & don't give a toss what the sign says! :)

Don't let Cunard tell you what to wear, just because the sign says "Elegant Casual" doesn't make it mandatory, glam up, steal the show, strut your stuff & show them how its done. Wear your finery if you want to & don't give a toss what the sign says! :)

Spot on. I've got to the stage now where I completely ignore elegant casual and just dress as I would for semi formal. That way I only need to travel equipped for two different dress codes, not three! Way to go.

J

Spot on. I've got to the stage now where I completely ignore elegant casual and just dress as I would for semi formal. That way I only need to travel equipped for two different dress codes, not three! Way to go.J
Me as well! Well said.

Thank you folks, I knew it wasn't only me that wanted "frock nights" on Cunard. We should all wear the jewellery every night...and that includes the guys!

It's not just you. It's the majority of people.

Enjoy it whilst it's lasts. Once it's gone that's it, a tradition at sea will disappear.

I wonder then how Cunard will differentiate itself from the countless other cruise lines. Someone in marketing will have to get very creative.

We're on this 2 night QV trip that was originally billed as Formal and EC and then changed to 2 EC's. We've all decided to stick to the formal on the first evening regardless, especially as the booklet says formal and a lot of people may not have got the change message. It'll be interesting to see the mix whilst on board. :)

30 nights are 7 semi, 8 formal and 15 elegant casual!?

As I read the itinerary you have 12 port nights - which are usually Elegant Casual - so you've only got 3 more than the itinerary would force - quite possibly to break up runs of sea days.

Too true....that's what we do. Once on QE a passenger in the Grills wore tails every night! He looked wonderful.

Too true....that's what we do. Once on QE a passenger in the Grills wore tails every night! He looked wonderful.

I chose Cunard for a few reasons but a major factor was the formality, dressing up & making the effort rather than a run of the mill meal, something to look forward to at the end of the day, seal it with style! Even on the elegant casual I will be going formal, i'll keep my open collar for breakfast and lunch, as I don't wear suits for my job I have gone out & bought some really lovely fashionable suits & Tux's and I sure intend to get my moneys worth! Its the formal attire & elegance that brings me! :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree, part of the reason for sailing with Cunard is the dressing up, what I don't quite understand is that it is stated that the dress code applies across the whole ship from 6pm, yet if people want to dine in the buffet they don't have to comply. Does the dress code really only apply to the restaurants. I have seen people in jeans in the chef's galley on QM2 on a formal night which I think is nothing short of disrespectful to the other passengers. If people don't want to follow the dress code then there are plenty of cruise lines which don't have them.

I totally agree, part of the reason for sailing with Cunard is the dressing up, what I don't quite understand is that it is stated that the dress code applies across the whole ship from 6pm, yet if people want to dine in the buffet they don't have to comply. Does the dress code really only apply to the restaurants. I have seen people in jeans in the chef's galley on QM2 on a formal night which I think is nothing short of disrespectful to the other passengers. If people don't want to follow the dress code then there are plenty of cruise lines which don't have them.

I love the formal nights as well. The times I have gone they have always changed the numbers of formal, semi formal, and elegant casual that they listed on pre-cruise documents. It really bothered me the first time this happened because I had planned so carefully for different nights. However, I soon learned that I would wear what I planned anyway and really no one cared. One thing I tried to do is dress up rather than down on the nights in question, but I am a woman and as someone has already said, we wear what we want anyway.:)

Archived