Crystal vs Seabourn

RMS Olympic

Discounting hardware (their ships), which line do you think has better service, better food, friendlier crew?

Realizing Crystal has larger ships, more passengers.......is their service comparable?

Just booked my first Crystal cruise for Jan 2015......way off I know......but am excited just the same.:D

You will love Crystal for all of the above. Wonderful food, service and the best crew anywhere. Also very Gay and Solo friendly, including many of the guests. I have cruised with Crystal 22 times, both solo and with my Partner, and have never been let down.

Andrew

Hi Olympic,

Food and service are very subjective matters but having been fortunate enough to sail on both Crystal and Seabourn in the last 18 months and I'm happy to give you my humble opinion ;-)

First let me say that overall both cruiselines are fabulous and I am splitting hairs when asked to rate one above the other. However, in terms of service both my partner and I thought that the service on Seabourn was "friendlier" than on Crystal. That's not to say that the service on Crystal was not excellent or any less professional we just found it a little cold. I think this is probably a product of the size of the ships as being much larger ships and having more crew, it is not realistic to expect them to be able to recognise their guests and address them by name (something which always astounds us on Seabourn ... I don't know how they do it).

With regards food, again I'm splitting hairs but comparing the main dining rooms I would give Seabour a slight edge over Crystal. However where Crystal really excels and beats Seabourn by a large margin is its speciality restaurants which I would rate as the best that I have experienced at sea. Silk Road is great if you like Asian fusion type cuisine and make sure you try the Black Miso Cod. Prego serves more traditional Italian fare and as I'm typing I'm salivating at the thought of their signature Mushroom Soup.

I'm sure if you approach things with an open mind you will love Crystal, both lines have their strengths and weaknesses but when I'm onboard either I continually have to remind myself how lucky we are to be able share an experience like this.

Edited by Kiwifruit
spelling correction

I agree with Kiwifruit. You really can't go wrong with either line, especially now that Crystal has gone all inclusive and relaxed its dress code. I only have two gripes with Crystal and they are my personal issues which may not bother others. I much prefer the smaller size of Seabourn's ships because they can dock at many ports Crystal cannot and many time dock further away from the center of town. Also, I much prefer the open seating dining on Seabourn. I don't like to be told when or with whom to dine and even Crystal's open dining by reservation is the same thing only you dine at a time of your choosing by reservation. There is no spontaneity.

Long time, no chat.

While I've not been on Crystal, I did the Atlantis Seabourn cruise in August on their largest ship, Quest, which holds about 450 passengers. It was wonderful.

One highlight was using the aft "activity deck" (or whatever they call it) when in a calm port. They drop down the rear part of the ship and use it as a recreation area - you can banana boat, kayak, wind-surf, swim, etc. I'd never actually swam in the Med before and it was great!

Doubt that Crystal ships have this option since they're much larger.

Happy cruising! :p

May try to sail Seabourn later in the year (2015).

Will prefer the older smaller vessels.

Have to admit the Seabourn Sun was a flop for me. So comparing will be interesting.

Mass market ships have lost their appeal for me.....except Princess. Luxury no, but great crew.........although I dislike big ships, I have hopes for the new Royal Princess.

As far as the Serenity....this sailing is uniaue as its a round trip from Miami....so I do not have to fly......My new CC can make a speed run over to Miami:D:D:D

I agree with the comment.....how lucky we are to travel like this. Sail, enjoy, compare but not find fault. However its fellow passengers that can mess with the experience.

Gary great to hear from you again. Would like to hear more about you trip on that Seabourn charter.

Tom

• 8 months later...
Long time, no chat.

While I've not been on Crystal, I did the Atlantis Seabourn cruise in August on their largest ship, Quest, which holds about 450 passengers. It was wonderful.

I've been on Seabourn several times and am surprised that Atlantis charters that line. I didn't think Seabourn would be a good fit with Atlantis charters - Seabourn is hardly a "party" boat - but perhaps the demographics are very different and self-selecting on Atlantis' Seabourn charter than their massive boat charters.

So, how are the Atlantis charters on Seabourn like? Would be interested in trip reports or blogs on the Seabourn Atlantis charters, as well as insight from those who've sailed on Seabourn on regular sailings vs. Atlantis charters.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, We talked about Crystal some time ago. At that time I said that I thought you'd enjoy it. Still do. If you sail with Seabourn I think you would be happier on one of the newer ships. We also sailed on the Sun and the only thing it had to do with Seabourn was the name. Gary, we too enjoyed the Atlantis Charter on the Quest which basically was just like a regular sailing in most respects like food and service. We did the Charter to experience an Atlantis Event for the first time. Tom, you'll have a good time on either line. Just an aside, on the CC Crystal blog there are four guys who have posted videos from their "Cruise of a Lifetime" which you might find interesting.

40+ cruises on Crystal

Platinum members on Seabourn

Hi Olympic,

Food and service are very subjective matters but having been fortunate enough to sail on both Crystal and Seabourn in the last 18 months and I'm happy to give you my humble opinion ;-)

First let me say that overall both cruiselines are fabulous and I am splitting hairs when asked to rate one above the other. However, in terms of service both my partner and I thought that the service on Seabourn was "friendlier" than on Crystal. That's not to say that the service on Crystal was not excellent or any less professional we just found it a little cold. I think this is probably a product of the size of the ships as being much larger ships and having more crew, it is not realistic to expect them to be able to recognise their guests and address them by name (something which always astounds us on Seabourn ... I don't know how they do it).

With regards food, again I'm splitting hairs but comparing the main dining rooms I would give Seabour a slight edge over Crystal. However where Crystal really excels and beats Seabourn by a large margin is its speciality restaurants which I would rate as the best that I have experienced at sea. Silk Road is great if you like Asian fusion type cuisine and make sure you try the Black Miso Cod. Prego serves more traditional Italian fare and as I'm typing I'm salivating at the thought of their signature Mushroom Soup.

I'm sure if you approach things with an open mind you will love Crystal, both lines have their strengths and weaknesses but when I'm onboard either I continually have to remind myself how lucky we are to be able share an experience like this.

When we sailed twice on Cunard(in the Grills)same thing..we were addressed by name the moment we walked into the Queens/Princess Grills. We found out later that they have a photo of you when you embark. The Maitre D studies the pics & gets the names down pat.Of course in Britannia with 800+ people per sitting that's not going to happen!

Well I guess I will shoot for a Seabourn cruise in the fall of 2015. I was thinking of doing the Pride under her new owner Windstar but their pricing is nuts. Seems Windstar is going to charge the same rate as Seabourn but.....its not all inclusive which makes it more pricey. Then Windstar charges 175% for a single as compared to Seabourns 150%.

As I am sailing Princess out of Singapore to Bali in Jan 2015, I will shoot for a Seabourn cruise later that year (unless I sail them in the Med in Sept for my birthday).

Thanks for the feedback and opinions.

I am glad there are still smaller vessels afloat, these jumbo ships just don't do it for me. The cruise lines seem to replace service, fine dinning, and attention to detail with amenities whistles, lights and distractions. Datsa my soap box ;)

Tom

I agree Windstar's pricing is completely unreasonable and I predict it will soon come down. They are banking on the hope that the "new" product will attract enough people willing to pay these fares. And btw, for the most part, Seabourn's single supplement is also 175%.

Concerning Seabourns surcharge......I was quoting their run-of-the-ship singles surcharge program.

As Seabourn is a one class ship unlike Cunard, I as a single pax would opt for the run of the ship. I must admit I am not one to spend lots of time in my stateroom, so a balcony is not paramount to me.

So now I guess I will wait for their 2015 schedule.

In the meantime I need to concentrate on the Royal princess this Nov followed by two other Princess cruises. Out of the mass market lines I always feel welcomed by Princess crew, and they keep their ships in good repair unlike some of their competitors.

Now if I win a lottery.....see how fast I book Seabourn.:rolleyes:

Concerning Seabourns surcharge......I was quoting their run-of-the-ship singles surcharge program.

As Seabourn is a one class ship unlike Cunard, I as a single pax would opt for the run of the ship. I must admit I am not one to spend lots of time in my stateroom, so a balcony is not paramount to me.

So now I guess I will wait for their 2015 schedule.

In the meantime I need to concentrate on the Royal princess this Nov followed by two other Princess cruises. Out of the mass market lines I always feel welcomed by Princess crew, and they keep their ships in good repair unlike some of their competitors.

Now if I win a lottery.....see how fast I book Seabourn.:rolleyes:

Cunard really doesn't have a "class" system. You get paired with whatever restaurant level you choose upon booking. It's the old "You get more if you pay more" mentality. You'll see the same on NCL with the Breakaway & Epic ships. With them it's the "Villas".

rmsolympic,

Unfortunately, Seabourn does not regularly offer ROS single supplements any more. They are mostly a thing of the past though may pop up once is a while, usually on an itinerary that is not selling well.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys! My wife and I just booked a Crystal cruise on the Serenity next summer. We are really excited about going. Does anyone know if there is a LGBT meeting on board to get acquainted? Also, our travel agent said that we only had a choice of dining at a table for 4, 6, or 8. We usually like a table for two in the dining room. Just wondered if anyone had this experience. We enjoyed Seabourn and hope that Crystal will be as good as we've heard.

Your travel agent is wrong. You can get a table for two. He has to request it, or rather insist on it. And make sure you get the seating you want, early or late. that has to be requested as well usually when you are booked.

Your travel agent is wrong. You can get a table for two. He has to request it, or rather insist on it. And make sure you get the seating you want, early or late. that has to be requested as well usually when you are booked.

Thanks Wripro! We'll send a note to the travel agent. Evidently we are wait listed for first seating at this time. Hopefully we can get a table for two!

Kruzngrl,

Not sure what your itinerary is but if it is port intensive and you will be out sightseeing every day you may want to consider late seating so that you do not feel rushed to get to dinner after a full day out. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys! My wife and I just booked a Crystal cruise on the Serenity next summer. We are really excited about going. Does anyone know if there is a LGBT meeting on board to get acquainted? Also, our travel agent said that we only had a choice of dining at a table for 4, 6, or 8. We usually like a table for two in the dining room. Just wondered if anyone had this experience. We enjoyed Seabourn and hope that Crystal will be as good as we've heard.

We sailed Crystal Symphony in September. Had no problem getting a table for two. No LGBT meetings but not necessary. We met several gay couples. Crew very friendly. Piano player in Avenue Saloon would announce every time we entered "Here's Al & John who have been together for 34 years." Then everyone would applaud. Food is outstanding.

We sailed Crystal Symphony in September. Had no problem getting a table for two. No LGBT meetings but not necessary. We met several gay couples. Crew very friendly. Piano player in Avenue Saloon would announce every time we entered "Here's Al & John who have been together for 34 years." Then everyone would applaud. Food is outstanding.

Wow, how nice! Sounds like you had a great time. Cannot wait to go!

For a first time on Crystal, should it be a short Caribbean cruise or gamble and try a western transatlantic?

Any suggestions?

Our first cruise on Crystal Symphony was a transatlantic, 14 days length. Crossing the North Atlantic there can be possible storms and we missed the port in New Foundland. Most people don't want to get off.