msc vs carnival??

Virginia21

Hi there,

I just started looking into some msc cruises as the rates seem quite reasonable, which is great! Ive only cruised carnival, so if any of you have cruised both, what is the diffeerence in terms of food, cabins, kids clubs etc? Do they have water slides as well as pools.

my son is 7 he really loved the carnival camps.

thanks so much, any info would be appreciated!

trish

Hi there,

I just started looking into some msc cruises as the rates seem quite reasonable, which is great! Ive only cruised carnival, so if any of you have cruised both, what is the diffeerence in terms of food, cabins, kids clubs etc? Do they have water slides as well as pools.

trish

Food is very subjective. As far as cabins go it all depends what type you are looking at, insides are bigger on carnival, balcony cabins MSC has 2 sizes. As far as camps carnival has them beat by quite a bit, there is no water slides on the Poesia. As far as having a 7 year old i would say carnival but you should look at RCCL which is great for kids. Enjoy whatever you choose!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

trish

Food-I don’t know what to say... for us its MSC

Cabins- we had balcony on both lines ,I love Carnival better but only because sofa bed is not by balcony and its easy to go out when your kid is sleeping.

Kids club same on both lines.

You will not see as many drunk people on MSC as you see on Carnival.

ship much cleaner on MSC

Service -I would say MSC is better .

They are very different lines, I highly recommend reading the reviews and see if the comments regarding menu items, dining times, room service, kids club, smoking etc would make. MSC acceptable to you.

If your family is the adventurous type that won't be upset when everything is not like like carnival (and it won't be) then you'll probably be fine. We all get used to certain things, habits, and sometimes the smallest thing can effect the whole trip.

If there are certain things you really like and hear a lot of complaints about them on MSC then you certainly should reconsider, if you are flying that far and spending that much time and money you may not want to risk it on the unknown.

MSC is probably the most controversial line reviewed here, most either really love it or really hate it, as I think you will see in the reviews.

They would not be our first choice, all things being equal, but we never say never. Personally, I've not found their offers to be worth leaving the better lines.

Also, be sure and check your port times, dates and days of the week carefully before you book, no matter what line you book.

Twice we ended up on cruises that I didn't really pay that much attention too before booking, one gave us two back to back sea days ( totally poor schedule, we weren't that far from the other ports and other lines had better port spacing and i hate sea days!) and then we were dumped in a major, Christian European city on a 7am til 2pm schedule on Sunday, which virtually assured everything was closed while we were there ( again, upon research, other lines had better port timing), and another time the cruise was so port intensive the stops were abbreviated so that we could leave for the next port, we were very rushed and disappointed.

Again, not an exclusive MSC problem, the other line was NCL, which i put on the same quality level. Never have had that problem yet on the other lines, but I certainly look at it closely now.

Whatever one you choose, enjoy your cruise!

:)

We are just preparing to sail with MSC. Sailed with Carnival twice. I am not sure about everything else, but decor seems to be much better on MSC ships.

Not only decor. We had much better room service on MSC than on CCL ,ship is much more cleaner on MSC .CCL was dirtiest ship we ever had :eek:.Amount of drunk people on CCL was unbelievable . Americans review food on CCL as very good....we found it very average everything is fry-fry-fry.Dont forget very loud TV in pool area on CCL:eek::eek:.

I've cruised both. The kids club on MSC was subpar to Carnival by a long shot. That said, our kids weren't deterred...we were traveling with cousins and they found other things to do and were happy, happy. I like Carnival...but MSC was more laid back (not as flashy and cheesy) and the ship was super clean and more "classy" in my opinion. We would cruise either any time. Though---I have heard that MSC in Europe is different. I am looking at doing an MSC Europe cruise...but I know that I will need to be aware of these differences (things that aren't free, very diverse passengers etc...)

We haven't experienced bad service on CCL, and even food was ok, haven't seen drunks either.. but colors, design, crowds everywhere (especially on Liberty) were horrible. Ship definitely couldn't properly handle 3700 people. And well.. not to sound snobby... too many folks we don't usually meet in our regular life... Cruise on Miracle out of NYC was better (ship was actually better designed), but colors...

bacchus_dinning_room_lg.jpg

We also felt management/crew doesn't trust passengers. You have to sign with your card for everything... even to play ping-pong or minigolf. :rolleyes:

I am a bit concerned about MSC though... their space/passenger ratio is one of the lowest overall with 28... But we are booked in balcony room so if worst comes to worst we will spend more time there.

We haven't experienced bad service on CCL, and even food was ok, haven't seen drunks either.. but colors, design, crowds everywhere (especially on Liberty) were horrible. Ship definitely couldn't properly handle 3700 people. And well.. not to sound snobby... too many folks we don't usually meet in our regular life... Cruise on Miracle out of NYC was better (ship was actually better designed), but colors...

We also felt management/crew doesn't trust passengers. You have to sign with your card for everything... even to play ping-pong or minigolf. :rolleyes:

I am a bit concerned about MSC though... their space/passenger ratio is one of the lowest overall with 28... But we are booked in balcony room so if worst comes to worst we will spend more time there.

We cruised on Valor . Service was terrible .Cabin had dust all over shelves. They did not refill mini bar for 3 days ,had to ask even for water to be refilled in cabin:mad:. At night time they turn off AC . If you go on CCL board you will see most of the people talk about how to smuggle alcohol on board. Crowd in buffet .We would cruise with CCL again but its last choice for us.

Don’t worry about MSC last year we cruised Xmas time on Poesia and had no problem with crowds. You fill much more private on MSC then on CCL .

Don’t worry about MSC last year we cruised Xmas time on Poesia and had no problem with crowds. You fill much more private on MSC then on CCL .

Thank you. This is a good news. We are trying to see if yet another line would be a good fit for us... so we can have even better choice of cruises. So far the best cruise line for us was Princess (Celebrity was great to, but we haven't cruised for awhile with them). NCL suddenly took the second place. Can't explain it but they do something right. :)

Edited by Tatka

We cruised on Valor . Service was terrible .Cabin had dust all over shelves. They did not refill mini bar for 3 days ,had to ask even for water to be refilled in cabin:mad:. At night time they turn off AC . If you go on CCL board you will see most of the people talk about how to smuggle alcohol on board. Crowd in buffet .We would cruise with CCL again but its last choice for us.

Didn't refill the minibar, I'm sure was devastating for you.

Never had them turn off the AC on any ship I've ever been

How was the free water and room service on MSC?

No need to make up a lot of stories, you are getting ridiculous

Wow that's a lot of in your face colour! Found the newer Costa ships the same but hey each tontheirmown, so like bright and colourful or wouldn't do it. I prefer the more neutral and understated designs of MSC.

MSC has free tap water, especially in Caribbeans.

Sad that it has to be mentioned, isn't it?

That's quite a bragging point, I'm sure that will seal the deal for those on the fence about cruising with the lowest rated line.

I stand corrected, in the Caribbean you get free tap water, on European cruises you pay.

FREE WATER!

Edited by Deckhandoug

That's quite a bragging point, I'm sure that will seal the deal for those on the fence about cruising with the lowest rated line.

I stand corrected, in the Caribbean you get free tap water, on European cruises you pay.

FREE WATER!

Prices of European cruises with MSC are ridiculously low.

By the way from what I heard tap water is not offered automatically, but if you ask, it is free. Not free is bottled water, just like on any cruise line.

Prices of European cruises with MSC are ridiculously low.

By the way from what I heard tap water is not offered automatically, but if you ask, it is free. Not free is bottled water, just like on any cruise line.

Yes, and there is a reason the prices are ridiculously low, you get a ridiculous cruise.

Does that pricing not set off alarm bells?

I believe North Americans get free water coupons for tap water in Europe, so you'll be told when in Rome and all that, you know, and get to present them in the dining room for your ration. If your needs exceed your allotted amount, you'll be advised to drink from the tap in your cabin. Seen and heard it all on here before.

You are already booked, so you'll have to make the best of it but I hope you know what you are getting into, and you can see what your fellow passengers think of Carnival cruisers, so I would certainly be skeptical of that because you and I know better.

If we were playing clue, I would say the husband cleaned out the minibar daily.

Didn't refill the minibar, I'm sure was devastating for you.

Never had them turn off the AC on any ship I've ever been

How was the free water and room service on MSC?

No need to make up a lot of stories, you are getting ridiculous

It was devastating for me not to have water in my cabin , and run around ship to find my room service , to get water for baby. I don't know how is free water I can afford to buy bottled water and never drink tap water on any ship. Service on MSC was beautiful . If anyone making up stories here it’s you ,do you get paid by CCL or just volunteer:rolleyes:?

Yes, and there is a reason the prices are ridiculously low, you get a ridiculous cruise.

Does that pricing not set off alarm bells?

I believe North Americans get free water coupons for tap water in Europe, so you'll be told when in Rome and all that, you know, and get to present them in the dining room for your ration. If your needs exceed your allotted amount, you'll be advised to drink from the tap in your cabin. Seen and heard it all on here before.

You are already booked, so you'll have to make the best of it but I hope you know what you are getting into, and you can see what your fellow passengers think of Carnival cruisers, so I would certainly be skeptical of that because you and I know better.

If we were playing clue, I would say the husband cleaned out the minibar daily.

Yes, for CCL lover who brings rum runners to ship ,you will probably would not ever open mini bar ,but I will tell you a secret there is water and sodas in minibar too ,not only alcohol . I love when red necks talk about good servise and good food LOL

FREE WATER!

If you sail in the Yacht Club on European itineraries bottled water is free:D did I mention that MSC will introduce the Yacht Club on Caribbean sailings from November 2013?

Yes, for CCL lover who brings rum runners to ship ,you will probably would not ever open mini bar ,but I will tell you a secret there is water and sodas in minibar too ,not only alcohol . I love when red necks talk about good servise and good food LOL

I love to decipher your posts:D

Good thing you book on price, that water can get expensive:rolleyes:

If you sail in the Yacht Club on European itineraries bottled water is free:D did I mention that MSC will introduce the Yacht Club on Caribbean sailings from November 2013?

Free bottled water!!! Now THAT's an incentive to book Yacht club!

State of the art, MSC is.

;)