Golf in Ocho Rios?

razzinger

I posted this a few monthes ago on the Jamaica port info thread, and got no responses. Figured maybe someone in the Carnival thread might have some info. We are thinking of playing golf thru Carnival inOcho Rios, on the Sandals' Upton Golf course. Has anyone played there, or taken a golf excursion thru Carnival. Any info would be appreciated. Sailing on the Freedom on Jan 20, 2013.

I played there a couple of years ago when my wife and I enjoyed an AI stay at Sandals.

Its a cute course. You will have to get a caddie. They work for tips. The course is all about tourism, so they take great care of you.

I played there a couple of years ago when my wife and I enjoyed an AI stay at Sandals.

Its a cute course. You will have to get a caddie. They work for tips. The course is all about tourism, so they take great care of you.

If we take the Carnival excursion for the golf, transportation, green fees, cart, club rental and caddy is included. They suggest we tip the golf conceirge on arrival.

Thanks for your insight!

If we take the Carnival excursion for the golf, transportation, green fees, cart, club rental and caddy is included. They suggest we tip the golf conceirge on arrival.

Thanks for your insight!

I'd recommend taking your own shoes and take a couple of sleeves of balls. Club rentals will probably be Nike Slingshot 40's. Load the cart with some beers and have a great time.

I'd recommend taking your own shoes and take a couple of sleeves of balls. Club rentals will probably be Nike Slingshot 40's. Load the cart with some beers and have a great time.

Shoes, balls, tees and glove were on my packing list! Thanks again for your insight. Still hoping to hear from someone who actually went thru Carnival just to see how many went and things like that. We are afraid if we don't book and pay now, we may miss out; on the other hand, if not many do it, then we are tying up $180 for monthes we don't need to do!

Shoes, balls, tees and glove were on my packing list! Thanks again for your insight. Still hoping to hear from someone who actually went thru Carnival just to see how many went and things like that. We are afraid if we don't book and pay now, we may miss out; on the other hand, if not many do it, then we are tying up $180 for monthes we don't need to do!

On the golf excursions I've taken, there have never been more than 2 4somes. Sometimes, just myself and a friend.

The advantage to booking now would be that if the price goes up, you're locked in. If the price drops, they'll give you a refund.

2 maybe 3 years ago myself and DW booked a golf excursion thru Carnival. We were on the Conquest and docked at Montego Bay in Jamaica. We booked a golf outing at White Witch Golf Course. We all met at the excursion area. Included in our group was our Cruise Director (I believe it was Goose) and one of the comedians on the ship. There was 12 in all. We took a tour bus to the course - maybe 30 minutes. There were 10 men and 2 women. Me and DW hooked up with the other couple - they were from Australia. We all received our clubs - they were indeed Nike slingshots. Not my fav but a quality set of clubs. The lady from Australia was left handed and they had a set of LH ladies clubs waiting for her. We had brought shoes, gloves, tees and balls. After some warm up time on the range away we went. The two foursomes of gents went first. There was one caddie per twosome. They were great. Before teeing off one of them would run out to the edge of the landing area to track errant shots. The other was there to give us all advice on club selection, elevation changes, wind, etc. They were both very knowledgeable and quickly learned our distances (i.e. Sir I believe you should hit your 8 iron from here). They also kept our clubs cleaned and would bring our putters to us around the greens.

Bottom line is we had a very, very good time! It was costly but so worth it. We both love to golf and this was an excellent course. Views of the ocean on 14 of 18 holes. Great elevation changes. Very lush. When we get back to MoBay on a Carnival ship I guarantee we will do this again!!

Played the course last year when we stayed @ Sandals. Its an OK course. Nothing special. Don't be fooled by the info on the web-site. You MUST tip the caddies. Usually a 20 will do. The course is approx 30 minute bus ride from the ship. They have a pro shop there. The clubs are Callaways or Nikes.

There is a snack bar there too, although the food is not that good and it's expensive. It's a good course for pictures. Listen to the caddies. They know what they are doing. Every one I had was better than the one before. Tip them wll and they will treat you like your in a country club.

Also, demand that they do the holes in order. A lot of times you will play 18 holes, but not in order. They sometimes drive all over the course looking for the next open hole.

Archived