Docking in Brisbane, wanting to visit Gold Coast Theme Park

In the past the cruiselines have done an excursion to the theme parks, but not sure if this cruise will do them. If there are a few of you though I would say hiring a car would be better costwise but you would not have very long there.

We are doing a 5 day cruise in February and will dock in Brisbane for a day. We'd like to go to Movie World or Wetnwild, any suggestions? I'm guessing a taxi to a hire car facility, then drive. Would there be any public buses that would do this trip, or any other options?

dont forget if its the Radiance you'll be docking at the Grain Terminal and its very isolated.....if you need any information about the grain terminal follow the link

http://www.portbris.com.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=6vbkfmd3QA0%3D&tabid=157

I would not recommend hiring a car. On one of our stops in Brissy (at the grain terminal) a fellow CC hired a car and it was quite a way from the terminal. All went fine till he returned the car and tried to get a cab back to the ship. (peak hour and lots of traffic!!!) :o. He only just made it back by the skin of his teeth and said he would NEVER do it again.

We did a Gold Coast ships tour once while in Brisbane for the day. It stopped at the Theme Parks ,and shopping Malls and we rode all the way to Pacific Fair.

Unfortunately the traffic was so horrendous that we had very little time there.Hardly got there and it was time to get back to the ship.

On Radiance at the moment. In Brisbane there was an excursion at "the gold coast on your own" -$59pp departing at 8.30am. With transfer to and return from Surfers approx 90 mins, each way. The day to be spent at your choice. Local buses from the Gold Coast travel to most if not all theme parks. You could check Internet for timetables. It does not specify on excursion leaflet, however, time for return from GCoast. All aboard was 5.30pm.

My suggestion would be to book a limo if there is a few of you travelling or a taxi to go to the places you mentioned. You are looking at about 1 hours travel and im told a limo is about $80. The M1 freeway can get very conjested at times and very busy so give yourself plenty of time for the return trip. You only need one accident on the road and its kaos bumper to bumper traffic. Movie world and wet and wild are more or less next to each other and still quiet a distance from Surfers.

You can also use a transfer company as compared to a limo service .... Who will pick u up from the teminal and take u to the theme park and back.

Depending on the day of the week the traffic can be congested and these companies know how to get around traffic congestion.

Google search airport transfers.

Thanks OP for asking this question.

I'm cruising to Qld on Radiance in April and the only theme type park tour offered on my cruise at this stage is to Australia Zoo (which we have just been to).

How far is it from the grain terminal to Dreamworld? And what about Movieworld?

Also, are there taxi's available from the grain terminal or a courtesy bus? I was thinking about going to the DFO near the airport. Any suggestions?

The grain terminal is in a isolated area and quiet a distance from anything. Dreamworld and Movieworld are about 1 hours drive away from the ship. Last time we were at the grain terminal there was no public transpost and no taxies organised. We were lucky our car parking company came to pick us up. DFO in a straight line is not far( maybe 1mile) but on the other side of the river and probably a good half hour drive in a car to get there.

Thanks OP for asking this question.

I'm cruising to Qld on Radiance in April and the only theme type park tour offered on my cruise at this stage is to Australia Zoo (which we have just been to).

How far is it from the grain terminal to Dreamworld? And what about Movieworld?

Also, are there taxi's available from the grain terminal or a courtesy bus? I was thinking about going to the DFO near the airport. Any suggestions?

Dreamworld's fractionally closer than Movieworld from Brisbane, but both are a long way away from the grain wharf - 1-1.5 hours all going smoothly.

No courtesy bus at the grain terminal, but the cruise line will probably offer paid shuttles to Brisbane CBD for say $30-40. If it's a terminal stop they will have airport shuttles as well, though not for a regular stop. Taxis are the only way out of there so there will be many of those, but may be a 10 minute or so queue, given the limited options. DFO will be around the same cost as the airport by the way, about $65-70 by taxi one way.

I can suggest a shuttle company who can take up to 7 people. The theme parks open at 10.00am so if you left the ship 8.30 you would be there in plenty of time to enjoy the day. You would be travelling against the traffic each way on the M1 so wouldn't have a problem.

I have a couple of suggestions if you wish to email me.

Jill:)

I'm not sure about what your circumstances are, but if it was me I would not do a day trip to the Gold Coast.

I grew up in Brisbane and the M1 can be notorious for traffic delays. One accident (if it's a fatality) can close that road for hours at a time and it can be chaos. The stress of getting back to the ship on time would be a real worry.

Secondly, Dreamworld and the others open at 10am, usually with a very long queue (depending on the day). Considering the short amount of time you would have there, I would wonder if it is value for money? (All of the theme parks are very costly)

The Gold Coast is a wonderful place with loads to do. In my opinion it warrants a trip on it's own.

Brisbane has plenty to do on a day trip and (this is purely my opinion of course) but I would make the most of my day in Brisbane and reserve the Gold Coast for another trip. It has an international airport and wonderful facilities to cater for just about anyone.

Just sharing my thoughts,

Cheers.

We live in Brisbane and we have visited the Grain Terminal on our Top End tour on Sun Princess. It is not exactly a nice place... but the cruise lines do their best in the conditions.

I have posted elswhere about how busy the Grain Wharf will be at the end of February..... for over a week there will be a ship docked each day including the Q Vic on 26th and the Solstice on Mar 2.

When we were there on the SP we took a ships tour that visited some lovely places in Brisbane... including the Sirromet Wine estate. Good tour on which we met some fine people whom we kept in contact with during the cruise.

We will again be visiting the "lovely" Grain Wharf when we arrive on the Solstice on 2nd March.:o This time I have offered to arrange some "local touring by a local" ... my initial thoughts were to have a relative hire a 10 seater to pick about half a dozen of us up and drive us around. I have however been inundated by over 20 people wanting to come on board... so I am re thinking matters and will probably be hiring a 25 seat bus and a driver... and still doing my itinery...which wont include any theme parks (for reasons expressed elsewhere).

Instead I will show overseas people how Briz people live, work and play. I am looking at (amongst other things) Lone Pine , Mt Coot-Tha, Southbank, Paddington (for Old Queenslanders); Passing thru the Clem Jones Tunnel; Raby Bay (for how the other half live) and possibly a quick look thru the Bne Cricket Ground at the Gabba so some can compare their stadiums to ours. One secret place I am considering is a close to the city area where Kangaroos roam free and welcome the odd visiting motorist in a way that is far removed from what happens at the "parks".;)

Essentially I am agreeing with NikandMick.... stick with just seeing Brisbane...Gold Coast theme parks are for another time

cheers

Flipper133 that sounds like a wonderful idea!! Let us know how it pans out for you.

I think most people would agree that we all want the 'insider' tour. Whilst it's lovely to see all the tourist attractions when in a foreign place, the ultimate experience would be to see how the people really live.

Good luck with the tour :-)

We visited Dreamworld in 2010 but it was not from the grain terminal, we chose to do a ship organised tour because we were worried about traffic/accidents etc if we did DIY.

I was a great day and from memory in those days cost $135 for adults & $105 for kids, not sure how much P&O charge for their tours now though. I am surprised RCI didn't offer something similar, give them a call to check.

Archived