Anyone else lose bag in Miami 10/12?

BlessedMimi

I sailed on the Jewel through the Panama Canal--9/27 to 10/12. I used their BAGS program for my two checked bags. One arrived at my final destination--DFW--and one still hasn't. I was flying American Airlines. Just wondering if this happened to anyone else?

Additionally, does anyone know why the disembarkation in Miami was such a disaster? I have cruised 31 times and have never before seen anything to compare with the unbelievably long line going through customs. We thought it might have been both the Jewel and the Pearl passengers in the line, but it was just Jewel's.

I sailed on the Jewel through the Panama Canal--9/27 to 10/12. I used their BAGS program for my two checked bags. One arrived at my final destination--DFW--and one still hasn't. I was flying American Airlines. Just wondering if this happened to anyone else?

Additionally' date=' does anyone know why the disembarkation in Miami was such a disaster? I have cruised 31 times and have never before seen anything to compare with the unbelievably long line going through customs. We thought it might have been both the Jewel and the Pearl passengers in the line, but it was just Jewel's.[/quote']

W were off the Pearl about 9 am and the escalators in the customs building had failed. All Pearl passengers at that time were having to be taken down to the several levels by one elevator, about 6 passengers at a time. There was quite a long line up of passengers lined up not moving.

What time did you leave the ship? We walked off at around 9:15 and waited for one person in the customs line then into an awaiting cab. Our customs person was very meticulous with our documents. Gotta catch all those 70 year old terrorist and drug dealers!:eek:

I did not sail at the port of Miami that day but I did drive by. The Jewel was docked in a place that few ships dock. The port was unusually crowded that Friday. Then I saw the Jewel sail off without passengers and head to New York. It looked so strange to see the Jewel docked almost in a corner.

Very unusual to see that many ships at the port. It is also not a frequent thing for a cruise ship to sail in, drop off passengers and then sail to another port.

W were off the Pearl about 9 am and the escalators in the customs building had failed. All Pearl passengers at that time were having to be taken down to the several levels by one elevator, about 6 passengers at a time. There was quite a long line up of passengers lined up not moving.

:confused:

A broken escalator turns into a thing called "stairs".

Security wouldn't let us. Think they might have been concerned with us "old folks" trying to walk down them with our hand carry off stuff.

OMG, don't you just hate being treated like you don't have sense enough to know what you're capable of? How do they think we get out of our houses? Besides, a set of fixed "stairs" is probably much safer for most than a set of "moving" ones:confused: Maybe we can blame our lawsuit prone society.

I can't imagine how you had no line at 9:15. jingle. I was too much of a rule follower and waited until the BAGS group was called. Now I simply cannot remember what time that was, but how the line I stood in either developed or cleared out quickly is mind boggling. I actually cut in line, which is very unlike me. If I hadn't (and endured the complaining of the man behind me!) I would not have made my flight. I had maybe 15 minutes to spare, and my taxi driver got me there in record time.

I think what you said, David, may be at the root of the problem. I think customs agents were showing up while we stood in the line. Eventually, there were more spots for people to branch off into customs. When I first got in the line, I think everyone was going to one or two positions.

And I still don't have my bag!

It was NCL's BAGS program. I finally called them today. A very nice man called me back in about an hour and said my bag had been found and Fed Exed to me. He said a Mrs. ? had called and left me a message yesterday that they had my bag. I had no message on either of my phones. Doesn't it seem reasonable that for something that important it would have been worth calling a person back. Except that they didn't call at all.

I was given a tracking number, and my bag wasn't even picked up in Miami until this afternoon. I won't get it until Friday. If I had been on my toes I would have insisted on overnight delivery.

I can't imagine how you had no line at 9:15. jingle. I was too much of a rule follower and waited until the BAGS group was called. Now I simply cannot remember what time that was' date=' but how the line I stood in either developed or cleared out quickly is mind boggling. I actually cut in line, which is very unlike me. If I hadn't (and endured the complaining of the man behind me!) I would not have made my flight. I had maybe 15 minutes to spare, and my taxi driver got me there in record time.

I think what you said, David, may be at the root of the problem. I think customs agents were showing up while we stood in the line. Eventually, there were more spots for people to branch off into customs. When I first got in the line, I think everyone was going to one or two positions.

And I still don't have my bag![/quote']

I looked at the age of the passengers on the ship and figured most would use the baggage service of NCL. I dragged all three roller bags behind me and beat the crowd as we had a fairly early flight from FLL. I would have prefered being the last off, but this time it just didn't work. Sounds like the Pearl had it worse than the Jewel. Glad to hear they located your bag!

Archived