40 Days Away - What do YOU do to prepare?

smplyblessed619

Hello CC! I am only 40 days away from my FIRST cruise and I'm so excited!

I am a planner by very nature and usually have a timeline for all upcoming events...I just wanted to see if any of you seasoned cruisers have any advice as to what I should be doing at this point in my planning. I have a packing list (thanks for those posts), and I have pre-paid my gratuities, etc. What's next?

Thanks for any advice/tips/tricks...

Carnival Destiny---I'll see you soon!!

My 30 day to day before list:

Call Cell Phone company to enable Global Roaming

Do On-Line Check-In: When you do your on-line check in, they will ask if you want to get a text about delays or such. Just make sure that is checked and put your cell number in.

Put all Contacts & all Cruise Documents on Smart Phone

Call Credit Cards to notify for Out-of-Country

Stop Mail

Stop Paper

Turn Off/Down Water Heater

Cash from Bank

Update Phones & Wallet Cards w/ Carnival Port Contacts & Insurance Numbers

Print out (BCBS) Providers for each Port

Confirm Hotel Reservations

Copy Passports & Drivers Licenses

Each Camera Take first Photo of Contact Info

ken

I always pack the things I need, but do not need right now (passport, hand sanitizer, cups, things like that) in my backpack that I take with me. I then make the mental note of what is packed so I do not look for it later on.

Remember to bring sanity, patience and a pleasant attitude. You are going to have fun.

If you are really really into planning I would say put together a cruise binder. Include all of your cruise paperwork, print outs of planned excursions, print outs of anything you've read on here that you really want to see or do, your packing list, map quest print out if you are not familiar with how to get to the port- well I'm sure you get my drift. As time goes on you will have already accumulated all of the important paperwork you need in one place. Happy planning!!!

Ist of all, have a wonderful time! You are going to love it.

It is fun for me to research all the ports and have an idea of what each one is like before we go. I like to know some history, what there is to do there, etc.

I also research the ship so I am familiar with where things are and what food venues are available.

I always make up a schedule starting with the day we fly out. This includes all ticket info, times, confirmation numbers, hotel info, etc. I include what I need to buy once I get to our hotel destination, local restaurants, etc. I make a schedule of each cruise day. I put in some my research about each place we are going. I also include what time we get to each stop and what time we leave. And of course, all of our info for flying home.

I hope this is a help. Bon voyage!

I usually start laying clothes out in a guest bedroom 2-3 weeks out...I start with making a list of how many t-shirts I'll need, shorts, etc.....

I will end up adding and subtracting several times along the way, but it certainly makes things less stressful as we get closer to the trip knowing we're already packed...

I always pack the things I need, but do not need right now (passport, hand sanitizer, cups, things like that) in my backpack that I take with me. I then make the mental note of what is packed so I do not look for it later on.

Remember to bring sanity, patience and a pleasant attitude. You are going to have fun.

The excitement is growing, but the stress of "I'm leaving for a week and a half" is starting to mount as well.....Thank YOU for that reminder ;)

I am 83 days away and I have started putting a few things in my tote bag......Power Strip, Post-its, highlighter, plastic tumblers for tea ad lemonade(can't stand the little cups they have) Deck of cards....and will add stuff along the way.........Can you tell I am ready to go !!!!!!!

I am 83 days away and I have started putting a few things in my tote bag......Power Strip, Post-its, highlighter, plastic tumblers for tea ad lemonade(can't stand the little cups they have) Deck of cards....and will add stuff along the way.........Can you tell I am ready to go !!!!!!!

And I have a fl=older with all my info....Hotel, Cruise, etc,

I am on your cruise! so here is what i am doing

I have a small journal that i call the cruise-pad - it has everything in it - flight #'s and times, layover times, hotel reservation information, excursion information, etc. It has a pocket in the back that i put in printouts as well.

This weekend i will try on every item of clothing that i want to wear and make sure it fits, is not damaged or stained, and then it will get hung up in the spare room closet on wire hangers (when i pack i lay the whole pile across the suitcase and just fold the two ends over the items in the middle like shoes, toiletries, etc - works like a charm and unpacking is as easy and lift and hang) I will make a list of any items that I don't have and need to purchase

I have a toiletry list and next weekend i will mark off (and pack) the items that i have, and start a list of items that i still need to get.

Over the next 30 days i will purchase any needed items

2 weeks out i will pack any non-clothing, non-essential item (for example I take prescription injections that cannot be packed ahead)

2 weeks out i contact my Credit Card/Debit Card/Cell Phone etc and let them know i will be out of the country

1 week out i will pack everything that is not on hangers

2 days before the dogs will be taken to DH's parents house for puppy sleep-away camp

The Day before

I pack everything and rearrange until i am happy with it.

I also go to the spa for Mani/Pedi and various other grooming :D

I make sure i have a printout of everything needed - plane, hotel, cruise, emails, etc

The morning of i will pack essentials and perishables

My 30 day to day before list:

Call Cell Phone company to enable Global Roaming

Do On-Line Check-In: When you do your on-line check in, they will ask if you want to get a text about delays or such. Just make sure that is checked and put your cell number in.

Put all Contacts & all Cruise Documents on Smart Phone

Call Credit Cards to notify for Out-of-Country

Stop Mail

Stop Paper

Turn Off/Down Water Heater

Cash from Bank

Update Phones & Wallet Cards w/ Carnival Port Contacts & Insurance Numbers

Print out (BCBS) Providers for each Port

Confirm Hotel Reservations

Copy Passports & Drivers Licenses

Each Camera Take first Photo of Contact Info

ken

Great list!!

I am on your cruise! so here is what i am doing

The Day before

I pack everything and rearrange until i am happy with it.

I also go to the spa for Mani/Pedi and various other grooming :D

I make sure i have a printout of everything needed - plane, hotel, cruise, emails, etc

The morning of i will pack essentials and perishables

Ahhh Anthomaniac!!! I'm getting so excited...My suitcase is already in my living room...I'm awaiting my swimsuits to arrive at Lane Bryant and I'm ready to do a fashion show myself to decide on what I'm packing LOL. We have a similar list, I see. Thanks for replying! Are YOU ready?!

Three weeks before the cruise is when we start. DH brings in folding table to master bedroom. As clothes are laundered, I place the underwear, socks, etc. on the table. Start gathering items which we will take with us - camera, hand wipes, travel alarm clock, belts, etc.

We just returned from our 38th cruise. I have a few tips:

Small items (like small flashlight, nail clippers, etc.) are in a zip loc bag. On the outside of the bag I have taped a list of what is in the bag. this elimimates plundering through the bags trying to find something.

Also do this for my "first aid" bag - bandaids, advil, antibiotic ointment, etc.

For our meds, I have AM/PM in separate zip loc bags. One for each of us. On the outside is taped a list of the contents and the prescription. I have this on my computer. I do this so there is no chance of DH grabbing the wrong bag.

I line the inside of our luggage with a plastic garbage bag. We were the unfortunate recipient of someone's liquor, so now I try to do whatever I can to protect our clothes. Bag then serves as holder for dirty clothes until we repack.

Carry a copy of your passport. You can laminate this or cover with side clear tape.

Carry a list of websites and passwords if you plan to use the internet.

Next step is pack meds and cosmetics in a small carry-on regardless of driving or flying.

The week prior - notify bank, get cash, reload visa travel cards, stop mail. Print out cruise documents. Place passports, documents, etc in my "personal item". Copy of travel documents to our son. Pay all future bills on-line (we are often away for two months). Call someone to cut the grass.

Divide underwear as follows - I pack underwear in zip loc bags. Makes it easier to pack and easier to unpack once in the room. two packs in carryon, two in each suitcase. We cross pack. pack light weight jacket and other items that are not prone to wrinkle.

Isolate clothes we will take.

Day before - pack remainder of clothes. I layer the pants between plastic cleaner bags. This helps with wrinkles. Shirts stay on hanger covered by plastic. Eliminates wrinkles and makes unpacking very fast.

Load car. Water flowers. Try to sleep.

Have a wonderful cruise. We are leaving Saturday for a b2b on the Dream.

Shirley

two more hint:

Each morning I take a picture of the cruise paper. that way, I have the date and port and makes it easier to remember when downloading the pictures.

Since some safes have codes and some the type that require a card, we carry an expired gift card that has the black strip on the back. That way we don't have to use our credit card.

Shirley

About 4 months out I make sure I can find our passports. I always get nervous about going to grab them out of our office and them not being there. So I will check for that several times.

I also make sure I have everything printed, including flight schedules, boarding passes, luggage tags etc.

30 Days out is also when I start going through my clothes. I try everything on to make sure it fits the way I remembered. I start to lay stuff on our guest room bed and pairing outfits. I usually wash and iron everything before finally packing it all. I start early to avoid mass panic if something doesn't fit right or I can't find something and need to do some shopping to replace something.

I do same as many other and also.

I take a picture and save on my Cell Phone.

• PASSPORT
  • HEALTH INSURANCE CARD (always good to have it)
  • DRIVERS LICENSE
  • CREDIT CARD (at least I will have the number handy)

If ever needed I have the essentials handy & can also send it to someone easily in case of emergency or lost items.

I also enter HOTEL, PORT, SHUTTLE, AIRLINE info contact and address info on my phone. Then I can easily access maps and directions.

(There is a great iphone APP called Keyring that I use)

I also pack a bunch of ADDRESS LABELS which are perfect on the run when filling out forms, luggage tags, etc.

and of course,,, I also annoy the crap out of all of my co-workers with my countdown to my cruise. LOL

:cool:

Ahhh Anthomaniac!!! I'm getting so excited...My suitcase is already in my living room...I'm awaiting my swimsuits to arrive at Lane Bryant and I'm ready to do a fashion show myself to decide on what I'm packing LOL. We have a similar list, I see. Thanks for replying! Are YOU ready?!

Heck we could go today, i can buy clothes in Miami! Lets go!

Seriously, not ready, its getting cold here already, so my warm weather clothes are burried, and i have to dig them out this weekend....

I LOVE Lane Byrant swimsuits! so comfy!

Ken076-That is a great list. I didn’t think about the water heater. Thanks!

Bruisin4cruisin-Thank you…sanity, patience and pleasant attitude. <<I’m putting those on my list.

Cruiseonthebrain – binder. I’ve started an electronic journal/binder of sorts :).

Samzgirl84-Thanks for that idea. I am mapping out the possibilities of food/convenience stops/etc once we arrive to Miami.

MiamiSpartan-I keep having this recurring nightmare that it’s time for the cruise and I’m not packed. Different variations happen in this dream, but either way I can tell that’s a concern for me! LOL.

Toddsmom-January isn’t that far away. I booked my cruise in January!

Spunkie4-38 cruises! I want to be like you when I grow up ;-) Lining the luggage with a bag is a GREAT tip by the way, thank you!

Kelkel2-I knew I had an original birth certificate but I ordered another one just in case. So, I know what you mean ;-)

Wiskt-That’s an awesome idea! I once had to turn in a rental application but couldn’t make a copy beforehand; I ended up taking a picture with my phone. Wow, thanks! I think my coworkers are going to have a bon voyage party for me at this point, they’re tired of my countdowns. Them and my fb friends. LOL

Thanks everyone for your great tips...I'm taking them all down :)

Heck we could go today, i can buy clothes in Miami! Lets go!

Seriously, not ready, its getting cold here already, so my warm weather clothes are burried, and i have to dig them out this weekend....

I LOVE Lane Byrant swimsuits! so comfy!

See, don't tempt me! LOL. My friend in Miami is already talking about coming down and spending Thanksgiving with her (she's going her residency there and won't be able to come home for the holiday).

I scored a GREAT deal on these swimsuits...thanks LB sales and gift cards from work ;)

I guess MALES are blessed ! :D

I travel a lot so I have in my closet:

6-8 shirts laundered, folded and in boxes

a toiletry kit with "dual" toiletry items inside

A suit jacket, sports jacket and slacks cleaned & ironed

I can put this all together in 15-20 minutes if necessary. Booked a cruise once ON THE SAME DAY IT SAILED, so had to pack fast and head for the port. The above thrown into the suitcase along with a dozen shorts, underwear, socks, polos, t-shirts. Two pairs of dress shoes.

Throw the cameras, FUN pass, e-cig liquids, and assorted chargers and a days worth of shorts, underwear, and polos (in case luggage gets lost) in my carryon bag and COLOR ME GONE. :)

I carry my birth certificate and DL in my wallet. Call my ex-wife to tell her I'm taking STILL another cruise. Life is good. :D

If you are really really into planning I would say put together a cruise binder. Include all of your cruise paperwork, print outs of planned excursions, print outs of anything you've read on here that you really want to see or do, your packing list, map quest print out if you are not familiar with how to get to the port- well I'm sure you get my drift. As time goes on you will have already accumulated all of the important paperwork you need in one place. Happy planning!!!

I started this the moment we booked our cruise about 5 months ago. Just add to it as I go along. Now that its less than 5 months to cruise time its getting quite full. :D

Archived