To Those of Us That Give Extra Cash Tips

Hobbins

Found an interesting section of the NCL Corporate Code of Ethics that raises some questions concerning the accepted understanding of what happens to cash gifts given to team/crew members. If I were to take this policy statement literally, which one should expect in such a document, it would seem to indicate that HR must be notified of each instance before either keeping it or giving it to some charity. Only two choices and none of them is a pool for splitting it. Do we think they really do this? What really happens to the cash we give them?

From NCL Code of Ethics document at

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Code_Ethical_Business_Conduct_08082012b.pdf

b. No cash gifts or gift cards of any type can ever be accepted from an existing or potential customer, supplier, vendor or competitor. In those few instances in which returning a cash or gift card is truly impractical, (such as customer recognition to team/crew members) you are required to disclose it to HR in order to obtain permission to either keep it or have it donated to charity.

Check out the page. You may enjoy the read.

I think this is pertaining to giving them actual gifts or money to do favors for you. Both of our cruises we have given extra tips to the wait staff and steward in the envelopes that were provided to us. Not sure how ncl does it, but carnival gives you envelopes on the last day with the names of your steward and wait staff on them

You'll find this type of statement in the Code of Conduct for many, many corporations. Including those that own restaurants that employ servers. It is meant to address gifts, typically both giving and receiving, which can inappropriately be used to influence business decisions. It's not meant to address positions where tips are legitimately a part of the income. Tips are considered part of your earnings or salary, not a gift.

Found an interesting section of the NCL Corporate Code of Ethics that raises some questions concerning the accepted understanding of what happens to cash gifts given to team/crew members. If I were to take this policy statement literally, which one should expect in such a document, it would seem to indicate that HR must be notified of each instance before either keeping it or giving it to some charity. Only two choices and none of them is a pool for splitting it. Do we think they really do this? What really happens to the cash we give them?

From NCL Code of Ethics document at

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Code_Ethical_Business_Conduct_08082012b.pdf

b. No cash gifts or gift cards of any type can ever be accepted from an existing or potential customer, supplier, vendor or competitor. In those few instances in which returning a cash or gift card is truly impractical, (such as customer recognition to team/crew members) you are required to disclose it to HR in order to obtain permission to either keep it or have it donated to charity.

Check out the page. You may enjoy the read.

I guess I am confused on your question. It says "In those few instances in which returning a cash or gift card is truly impractical, (such as a customer recognition to a team/crew member), etc". That is saying that is an exception to this rule.

This would be like the chef receiving a kickback from the banana supplier. Which, by the way. On the Pearl last week, I saw the chef outside with the banana and fruit vendor. The chef was hand inspecting all the items and rejected many boxes of bananas that didn't his standards. Way to go.

This would be like the chef receiving a kickback from the banana supplier. Which, by the way. On the Pearl last week, I saw the chef outside with the banana and fruit vendor. The chef was hand inspecting all the items and rejected many boxes of bananas that didn't his standards. Way to go.

Are you sure you were on a NCL cruise ? They usually serve any rubbish

I think this is for the NON service based employees.

ie, the cruise director can't take a kickback to hire Joe the Saxophone player,

the food and beverage people can't get kickback/gift/whatever to buy

from a provider

and so forth

I do live in South Florida and sometimes it is interesting to see the various companies that have grown to "supply" the cruiselines.

Steiner Beauty college is here (trains many of the spa workers, or retrains them to Steiner techniques)

I "visited" a company that is the top provider of uniforms for the cruiselines...officers down to maintence workers, they make/design the uniforms for virtually all of the ships ( a friend of mine worked in their office, clerical haha)

I know a lady who works for the "wedding" planner company that most of the cruiselines use. Now that is a position that could involve "kickbacks" so no wonder they have those rules

JMO

Food...Milk /dairy products...spa products...stuff for the giftshops, logo items

there are lots of "buyers" I am sure they get "offers" from vendors

there are lots of vendors who want the lucrative cruise market

JMO

Wow! I guess NCL must just recognize when we're on board then. For the three years we've been dedicated NCL customers, the food served for our cruises has been at a minimum good, and frequently excellent. No rubbish to be seen on our sailings. But.......I'm a guy that does still like McDs dollar double cheeseburgers .

That does not apply to tipped employees. see below.

SCOPE

The policy applies to all exempt (salaried), non-exempt (hourly), full-time, part-time, ship and

shore side team members of Norwegian and its subsidiaries.

i guess tipped employees would be under a different title

Extra tips on top of suggested gratuity rates - ha ha ha. How mad are you lot doing this !!!

I always take care of my favorite pool server / drink runner with cash during the week.

It's the least one can do when they bust their a** for you. IMHO, it is the generous thing to do as to not be a tight wad like the British and others ( :) )are with their tipping standards.

I always take care of my favorite pool server / drink runner with cash during the week.

It's the least one can do when they bust their a** for you. IMHO, it is the generous thing to do as to not be a tight wad like the British and others ( :) )are with their tipping standards.

Totally useless comment. You obviously don't understand different cultures. Try tipping in some Asian countries and find out how insulted they are at the gesture!! No need to cut up different practices just so you feel good.

BTW - the Brits that you mentioned are paid well and don't expect 'tips'.... so why shud a 'Brit' expect to tip here in America when they've already paid a 'premium' to cruise out of the US?? Different cultures, different expectations.... never discount your friends!!

Totally useless comment. You obviously don't understand different cultures. Try tipping in some Asian countries and find out how insulted they are at the gesture!! No need to cut up different practices just so you feel good.

I've traveled plenty to understand various cultures in many countries - trust me.

Does one not have a sense of humor? And, why would a post make one "feel good"?

ticktoneer is an NCL nay-sayer. (also they are from Yorkshire - Yorkshire folk are notoriously careful with money - and I speak as a Yorkshireman born (if not bred :))

I do not intend to get into a US v UK slanging match but you need to be aware of the cultural differences and the fact that we in the UK pay substantially more for the same cruise than you do in the US (often the USD price is similar as the GBP price numerically so a 1.6 difference factor). Also we do not get the same deals/discounts/OBC offers as seem to happen in the US.

Before you ask, I do pay the DSC without qualms and I tip extra when deserved.

For the rest of you . PLease , Tickonadeer is just a troll trying to stir the pot .

Its the latest game with the kids to see how many response post's they can get on any childish inflammatory rebut .

ticktoneer is an NCL nay-sayer. (also they are from Yorkshire - Yorkshire folk are notoriously careful with money - and I speak as a Yorkshireman born (if not bred :))

I do not intend to get into a US v UK slanging match but you need to be aware of the cultural differences and the fact that we in the UK pay substantially more for the same cruise than you do in the US (often the USD price is similar as the GBP price numerically so a 1.6 difference factor). Also we do not get the same deals/discounts/OBC offers as seem to happen in the US.

Before you ask, I do pay the DSC without qualms and I tip extra when deserved.

Cheers ;)

Archived