Alaska for northerners?

hsaroya

Hi, first of all, apologies if I've posted to the wrong board...

I keep reading over and over again that many of you consider an Alaskan cruise your favorite one. It would certainly be an ideal location for us in regards to transportation as we live in Edmonton, AB, Canada and could easily do the 13 hr drive to the either the Seattle or Victoria ports. Frankly, I am rather tired of paying more for my flights for Ft L than the cruise itself when we cruise the Caribbean at Christmas time. (On the average the flight is over $1100 for each of the 4 members of my family). We are not able to get away during the school year other than at Christmas time. So, the thought of being able to go in the summer on an Alaskan cruise w/o worrying about air seems ideal. On the other hand, I have lived in cold, northern climates for the last 35 yrs and see snow about 6 months of the year (this, after having been born in India!). So, not sure that seeing muskeg, snow, even icebergs in the summer will hold the attraction that the Caribbean does when it's minus 30 Celsius in Edmonton! For those of you who live in similarly cold climates and have cruised the Carib and Alaska, what are your thoughts? Would the sights of Alaska be as thrilling to cold climate dwellers as it is for those travelling out of California, Florida, etc?

Thank you for your thoughts!

Well, we live at 7,000 ft in Colorado and Alaska is the cruise destination to which we've been the most. We've also found cruising Antarctica as the most breathtakingly spectacular of all our cruises. However, I must add that the Caribbean really holds minimal, minimal appeal to us. I don't know if you'd find Alaska as desirable as we do. Good luck with your decision.

Greetings Hsaroya,

We live in NW Washington, and have cruised to Alaska

twice, and will be cruising to Alaska again next September.

While we have taken cruises to the Western Caribbean

out of Galveston, and the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego;

it is nice having a port close enough so we can choose not

to fly to the embarkation port.

Our first cruise to Alaska was early June 2006, and other

than light drizzle in Juneau, the weather, was pretty

decent. Our 2nd cruise to Alaska was late July 2009, and

it was over-cast in Juneau, but high 70's low 80's the

rest of the cruise; even in Victoria BC.

We had to finally use a Future Cruise Credit, so decided

to do another Alaska cruise so we wouldn't have to deal

with the cost of flying. I'm not sure what the weather

will be like in September, but am just looking forward

to relaxing on the cruise. This itinerary will be slightly

different than the two Alaska we've already taken.

I hope this is helpful. What we have seen of Alaska

is awesome!

We live in the Northeast of U.S. and most winters have plenty of snow.

We cruised Alaska for the first time this year and though I went as a 'favor' :) for DH as I felt the same as you OP (I wasn't thrilled about ice and cold for a summer vacation) ....... I really loved it.

I am happy we went but I like Caribbean, sun and fun more and love the warmth of the islands and warm water.

I would not want to have missed any of what we saw and I'm really happy we went but we were thrilled to have been really lucky to get great weather. Had it rained the whole time we were there, I would not have liked it nearly so well. :o

I live in Northern BC.....far more 'Alaska' like than flat old Edmonton:);)

While we get mountains of snow and cold here, I've never been as cold here, as I have been in Edmonton....so am familiar with climate in both places.

That said, Alaska is a pleasure. You will see so much more breathtaking scenery.....think hwy between Jasper and Banff.....only better, if that's possible. No Athabasca River (my favorite) to drool over, but it is most definately awe-inspiring. The color of the water in some places is magical. I don't think you would regret it...especially if you went early in the season, while there is nearly 24 hours of daylight.

I have been a number of times and while the ports get old, the scenery never does....and I've gone in May, June and September, and far preferred the late May/June sailings as the scenery is with you pretty much all the way. September is too late, gets dark too early and you don't see much. I would still go in September, if that was my only choice, but a much different experience early in the season. I also recommend the Vancouver-return trip, sailing through the Inside Passage. Far better, IMO, than the Seattle sailings....but maybe more of them are now doing Inside Passage as well, and I know the Seattle trip is pretty great, too.

Living in frosty Edmonton will have no bearing on your enjoyment.....summer alaska cruising can be cold/damp, but still nothing like those prairie winters! Hope you decide to do it, it is really special.

I go to Alaska to see the scenery and the wildlife. I live in Toronto and have lived in MN and MA, so I've had my share of bitter cold and snow. I find Alaska's summers to be similar to April, May, September. Not cold, but not hot either. It's frequently in the 70's or 80's.

The scenery is spectacular. The mountains rise up right out of the sea. Hubbard glacier was nothing like I've ever seen. I didn't particularly care for Glacier Bay though - lots of moraine, not a lot of glaciers.

My last trip I was able to see both brown and black bears. Orcas and humpbacks are easy to see. When the salmon are running, streams are chock full of them.

I've been on several Caribbean cruises - I'm done with them except for cruising on Allure in a couple of years. I've done 2 Med cruises and I've had enough. I've done 2 Alaskan cruises and I'd love to go back.

OK I live on the "Wet" Coast just above Vancouver and I have been to "Hadmonton" (sorry we beat you Eskimos the last 2 weeks:D)many times in the winter....it is no picnic. I have reached the point in my life I really prefer warm dry climates but also have been to Alaska some 17 times over the past 50 years. Will I go again, yes I expect we will but there are many other places that we want to cruise to. Will you enjoy Alaska, if you enjoy stunning scenery, wild life and history then you should enjoy it. It is also a pretty good bargain if you watch for sales and as you have pointed out you can drive to Vancouver. Incidentally itineraries from Vancouver are much more scenic than those out of Seattle as they are sailed entirely in the Inside Passage whereas those out of Seattle sail on the west side of Vancouver Is. in the Pacific where you see nothing for the best part of a day in either direction.

OK I live on the "Wet" Coast just above Vancouver and I have been to "Hadmonton" (sorry we beat you Eskimos the last 2 weeks:D)many times in the winter....it is no picnic. I have reached the point in my life I really prefer warm dry climates but also have been to Alaska some 17 times over the past 50 years. Will I go again, yes I expect we will but there are many other places that we want to cruise to. Will you enjoy Alaska, if you enjoy stunning scenery, wild life and history then you should enjoy it. It is also a pretty good bargain if you watch for sales and as you have pointed out you can drive to Vancouver. Incidentally itineraries from Vancouver are much more scenic than those out of Seattle as they are sailed entirely in the Inside Passage whereas those out of Seattle sail on the west side of Vancouver Is. in the Pacific where you see nothing for the best part of a day in either direction.

Putterdue, ouch! Just remember, the season ain't over..:o

We made the drive to the island in Aug and happened to see three cruise ships in the harbour, and I thought "wow, how easy it would be to just extend the holiday another week and hop on board a ship one of these summers." Tons of relatives (incl a brother) on the mainland so wouldn't have to worry about hotel, parking vehicle, etc. You've certainly done a lot to sway me. Thanks for the advice. I'm going back to watching the Stampeders play in the snow...yup, prairie winters are delightful. Give me another 9 yrs and two weeks and I'll be able to join you all in Az for the winters! My husband will have to fend for himself :D

We live in the Northeast of U.S. and most winters have plenty of snow.

We cruised Alaska for the first time this year and though I went as a 'favor' :) for DH as I felt the same as you OP (I wasn't thrilled about ice and cold for a summer vacation) ....... I really loved it.

I am happy we went but I like Caribbean, sun and fun more and love the warmth of the islands and warm water.

I would not want to have missed any of what we saw and I'm really happy we went but we were thrilled to have been really lucky to get great weather. Had it rained the whole time we were there, I would not have liked it nearly so well. :o

:)

Thanks, sail7seas! It's comforting to know that I'm not the only who's had these trepidations about Alaska. It's good to hear that it turned out so well for you. You guys are certainly swaying me

i was dragged kicking and screaming to alaska from maine....it was the 19 family memebers not alaska that i didn't want to face..lol....an AWESOME,majestic trip. first aft cabin assigned at the last minute....views were incredible...hardly slept. so worth a long drive to the port......hope you do it!

Thanks, everyone, for some excellent advice. You've all come up with some excellent reasons to head north instead of south for a cruise. Actually, let's rephrase that to "in additon to the south" rather than "instead of" ;) . I still want to be deep south come winter, but Alaska certainly seems to be the place to be in the summer.

Those of you living in warmer climes have no idea how much of a shock it is to consider a holiday NORTH of Edmonton!! (And for those of you familiar with Alberta, did I mention that I spent my formative years in Fort McMurray? Yup, now the whole heading south thing makes sense, eh?)

Thanks again for all the feedback. One of the best days in my life was discovering cruising aboard the Golden Princess in 2006, and the second best was discovering Cruise Critic a couple of years ago. You guys are all amazing!

Harjinder

I took a cruise this summer to N Europe, including Helsinki, Finland which has a sign in the port declaring it 60 degrees north. We are 53. I have lived in Edm all my life and think you would do well to try out Alaska. I have been by land to Skagway in May. Go see once is my vote.

Just two notes:
  1. I assume you realize that the Alaska itineraries begin in either Vancouver or Seattle....not Victoria.
  2. I am really not sorry that the Lions beat the Eskimos two weeks in a row, I was just trying to be nice.

Thanks for the info! Do the ships stop in Victoria on the way back from Alaska?

Saw that you guys clinched first in the West. Nice! I guess I should feel some pangs for the Eskies, but never did get the fascination with football. During the Stampeders game yesterday, the rate of the falling snow was what kept me entertained....:D

Thanks for the info! Do the ships stop in Victoria on the way back from Alaska?

Saw that you guys clinched first in the West. Nice! I guess I should feel some pangs for the Eskies, but never did get the fascination with football. During the Stampeders game yesterday, the rate of the falling snow was what kept me entertained....:D

Only the cruise ships out of Seattle and San Francisco make a pit-stop in Victoria to fulfill the requirements of the US Passenger Vessels Service Act, often referred to as the PVSA. Ships cruising out of Vancouver do not need to make the stop.

Archived