To renew our vows or not

kiraryker

My husaband would like to have the vow renewal while on our cruise 30yrs and especially since all our children will be there and my father and his wife and daughter but I'm more practical and just wonder if it is really worth the $$

My oldest daughter who is 23 of course thinks it is a great idea our youngest who is 12 really thinks we should do it on a beach - I just wonder if it is appropriate to take time for everyone since it is their cruise also to have them attend this ceremony?? And I just wonder if the money wouldn't be better spent for something that isn't just a moment - something we can take home and I also worry if they don't pressure you to buy pictures??

I guess he is more of a romantic than me - has anyone did this?

We recently sailed on the SPIRIT for our 50th. wedding anniversary and indeed I thought it would be appropriate to renew our vows on the ship. Unfortunately Carnival wanted $350.00 for the ceremony and a cake and a picture. We felt that was entirely out of line so didn't make the arrangement. It was a good thing because our Priest surprised us at a daily Mass with a renewal of vows and the Bishop also had a special Mass with renewal. By the time we got to the ship my wife was far more impressed with the dozen roses in the three room aft wrap suite than anything else.

We recently sailed on the SPIRIT for our 50th. wedding anniversary and indeed I thought it would be appropriate to renew our vows on the ship. Unfortunately Carnival wanted $350.00 for the ceremony and a cake and a picture. We felt that was entirely out of line so didn't make the arrangement. It was a good thing because our Priest surprised us at a daily Mass with a renewal of vows and the Bishop also had a special Mass with renewal. By the time we got to the ship my wife was far more impressed with the dozen roses in the three room aft wrap suite than anything else.

Congratulations !

Wow, NCL charges 299.00 - you get all the same stuff

For DH and I, it's the romance. Remember the thrill of your wedding day? We want to renew that and our verbal committment to one another. He's said to me more than once that he wants to buy me a wedding dress for a renewal.

It's just fun!

We had an awful wedding. Changed dates, family squabbles, a priest we never saw before the wedding nor saw again after (long story there), rain, and a family member hit by a car crossing the street en route to the reception (it took several months, but she recovered). As we drove away afterward, DH said "Next time we elope!":p

We're cruising next summer to celebrate our 30th anniversary and oldest son's college graduation. I thought about a vow renewal on the ship, but now I'm leaning more toward a small ceremony in our parish after Sunday Mass followed by a blowout party for our family and friends. We haven't had one of those since our oldest son was born!

We had an awful wedding. Changed dates, family squabbles, a priest we never saw before the wedding nor saw again after (long story there), rain, and a family member hit by a car crossing the street en route to the reception (it took several months, but she recovered). As we drove away afterward, DH said "Next time we elope!":p

We're cruising next summer to celebrate our 30th anniversary and oldest son's college graduation. I thought about a vow renewal on the ship, but now I'm leaning more toward a small ceremony in our parish after Sunday Mass followed by a blowout party for our family and friends. We haven't had one of those since our oldest son was born!

WOW! funny after our wedding and some family issues hubby and I said we should've eloped also! But it was a beautiful day considering

30 years is special given all our friends have never found the right one and I was 17 and he was 22 when we were married (no it wasn't a shot gun wedding our 1st child was born 7 yrs later) HA HA everyone teases us on our ages.

Maybe we will just ask if they want to attend and leave it up to them as it is their vac also - and maybe something else will come up for us to celebrate this anniversary with?

For DH and I, it's the romance. Remember the thrill of your wedding day? We want to renew that and our verbal committment to one another. He's said to me more than once that he wants to buy me a wedding dress for a renewal.

It's just fun!

Ahh ok, sounds like you will enjoy that! Have a great time.

Since a vow renewal isn't legally binding....you could just gather your family and do it on your own...no cost involved! Yes...I'm frugal! Hubby and I have been together for 40 years...married for 36....we've never felt a need to "renew" anything.....we do romantic things all the time! I wouldn't be keen on spending money on something that I could do on my own!

Find a nice place on the ship, or under a palm tree, say your vows, kiss, and go have a great time doing something with the money you saved!

It's just fun!

I think it's (and he is) very romantic!

Our friends did a renewal on the Miracle for their 20th anniverary. It was really beautiful and romantic. If the ship has a Chapel, I'd say do it, especially if your family will be there. The ship assigns a coordinator to you that helps with the planning, hair appointments, etc. She even found some baby breaths for the bride's hair. Our friends did theirs on one of the formal nights. We had late dinner and I think they did the ceremony around 6. We went to an adjacent lounge and had cake and a champagne toast. They then took the couple around to all the formal portrait stations and had photos done. They got the hard sell on the pictures but just bought a few. The time committment for the guests was about and hour and certainly worth it.

Our friends did a renewal on the Miracle for their 20th anniverary. It was really beautiful and romantic. If the ship has a Chapel, I'd say do it, especially if your family will be there. The ship assigns a coordinator to you that helps with the planning, hair appointments, etc. She even found some baby breaths for the bride's hair. Our friends did theirs on one of the formal nights. We had late dinner and I think they did the ceremony around 6. We went to an adjacent lounge and had cake and a champagne toast. They then took the couple around to all the formal portrait stations and had photos done. They got the hard sell on the pictures but just bought a few. The time committment for the guests was about and hour and certainly worth it.

Thanks for the insite that does sound very romantic!

And I just wonder if the money wouldn't be better spent for something that isn't just a moment - something we can take home and I also worry if they don't pressure you to buy pictures??

I guess he is more of a romantic than me - has anyone did this?

LIFE is about MOMENTS! It's a memory worth making!

LIFE is about MOMENTS! It's a memory worth making!

Your right! And the moment I met my prince my life has been a dream! 30 years and 3 beautiful children later he is worth celebrating! I won't be 50 for another 4 yrs so this is a great moment to celebrate (i'm looking forward to my 50th bday)

We will plan on doing this and of course inviting our relatives if they care to join - if anything it will be a moment we can celebrate one of the best moments of our lives only this time with our children present

Do it, do it, do it! Here's my review from my 15 year vow renewal (with pictures):

I shopped for months for the perfect vow renewal wedding dress, kept it a secret and packaged it gingerly in a garment bag for our trip to the cruise port.

When we first arrived in our room on Sunday, we were greeted by an envelope with our vow renewal ceremony time and place. It was the next day at 5:15.

I was so excited because after 15 years of marriage, I was ready to recommit to my husband. I felt like this time was even more special than our “original” ceremony as now I truly knew what it meant to be married.

I quickly visited the reservations desk to book a reservation for Sterling’s Steakhouse for that evening so that we could have an intimate dinner together. I then stopped down at the passenger’s services desk (purser’s desk) and met Demingos, he was extremely helpful. I asked about ordering a white cake (I couldn’t do this ahead of time), The Wedding Experience “TWE” would not help me unless I was a bride organizing an “actual” wedding. I didn’t let that bother me because Princess had told me I could order a cake when I arrived. And sure enough, I was able to with Demingos at the front desk. $1.50 a slice -- what a deal. Since it was only the 2 of us, I order for 4 slices because I didn’t want the cake to be too small. He asked if I wanted fresh strawberries to accompany the cake and I’m glad I said yes. The cake showed up at Sterling’s and was absolutely beautiful. I also placed an order for 3 roses in a vase to be put on our table as I wanted it too look beautiful. They were sitting on the table when we arrived. Dimingo’s did a great job.

I booked a manicure for the next morning so my nails would look perfect, the spa was very accommodating and my manicure was a nice touch.

I got ready in my room before my husband (I made him leave, I had kept the dress a secret all along so I didn’t want him seeing me for the first time in the dress while he was coming out of the bathroom, etc.). I left the room at 4:30 and he came back in to put on his tux. I told him I would meet him in the library at 5:00 so that the first time he saw me it would be a little more special than just in our room. It wasn’t possible for the first time to be as I walked down the aisle as we hadn’t even met the wedding coordinator yet . . . .etc. So I headed to the library to wait for my husband.

I felt very special walking around the ship as you could tell I was a bride from my dress (wasn’t long but white which a champagne beaded sash). I had a crystal headband and a crystal choker necklace. I felt beautiful and people commented about how beautiful I looked . . . .what a boost to the self-esteem.

I wait in the library only about 10 minutes and my dashing (and I mean dashing) husband showed up. I quickly did a spin for him and could see his eyes light up as he looked at his bride for the first time. He comment on how beautiful I looked and my heart soared. After a few kisses and hugs we headed the Hearts and Mind chapel on the top deck (by the spa).

We were greeted by (Kristy) who went over the ceremony quickly. Not too much to it, just “do you want to exchange rings, did you write vows”. We asked her to start the web cam as several people were waiting back home to watch. We called them on Sunday and told them what time because we hadn’t left port yet, we still had cell phone coverage. She had my bouquet (Orchid Bouquet it says on the website) and it was absolutely beautiful. For those of you doing this, don’t worry about the bouquet, it was stunning.

A great big thank you to my fellow Cruisecritic passengers because we have met the day before, 6 of them showed up for the ceremony. You were all so nice and it was great having some guest at the ceremony. One, Bill took video with our camera and (Liz) took pictures with a camera.

The captain showed up right before the ceremony, the music started and we walked each other down the aisle. After a few short words by the captain, he had us repeat vows . . . .very sentimental (see entire wording below). Then we repeated our own vows to each other that we had written. My husband thanked me for loving him, for putting up with him and promised to not take me for granted ever again. I thanked my husband for the wonderful father he is to our children and for not giving up on "us". I told him that he made me the happiest women in the world when he asked me to marry him all over again.

The ships photographer was snapping pictures all along as well as Liz, she took some great photos and Bill (the video is incredible). Then the ceremony was sealed by a kiss and we walked back out of the chapel.

The photographer brought us back in for a picture with the captain (he was a man of few words but very nice and cordial just the same). Since it was a formal night, the photo desk wouldn’t allow me to hire a photographer for an hour or so for pictures around the ship . . . . I really wanted an outdoor shot. But, because I had stopped down at the desk early that day, the photographer mentioned that he thought we wanted outdoor photos . . . .yippee! He went outside on the desk with us (which was literally just outside the door of the chapel) and took some deck shots. People were gazing at us and I felt like royalty.

All-in-all the ceremony only took about 10 minutes which pictures afterwards about 15 more so making a reservation for Sterling’s at 6:30 worked out perfectly. We had about 30 minutes to walk around the ship to the other photographers. We stopped at about 4 different stations and had many, many pictures taken. Then off to Sterling’s for what was a fabulous dinner.

There were roses were on the table. We had a beautiful dinner with several courses. When it came time for dessert, we were presented with the cake but we were too full to eat anything more. Sterling’s had it sent to our room and we enjoyed it about mid-night that night -- it was delicious.

It was a beautiful ceremony and a special touch to our anniversary cruise. I would highly recommend this to anyone, even it it’s just been one year . . . . . It’s nice to hear the words again and recommit yourself to your spouse. I did it up big with a dress, etc. but even if it was in shorts the words are the same and I think you would find it as special as I did. My original wedding was definitely special and had everyone present, this wedding (vow renewal) was just my husband and I but I can't wait for another milestone to take our kids -- they need to know how much we truly love each other and this was an outwardly way to show it. We both knew how hard marriage can be and our recommitment told us both we were in it together forever!

You can view our pictures at: http://community.webshots.com/album/561978605ILrtjo

Actual words of ceremony from the Captain:

I would like to welcome you to the Wedding Chapel. We are here to reaffirm your marriage commitments.

I ask that you become closer to each other and recommit yourselves to a life together. Life involves sharing love with each other so that when we leave this celebration, we are all better companions going out into the world.

As I renew your vows to each other we are all reminded that marriage is a union of two lives and two hearts joined together in equal partnership. A husband and wife will bear each others burdens as well as share each others joys. Your goal in your marriage is to be considerate, loving and tender, supporting each other in your love. The renewal of the vows that you share should be as binding in adversity as in prosperity.

As you continue to live together, sharing on another, the gifts of love and striving to become one, in heart and mind. I ask you now to renew the vows, which you first pledged to one another.

I, Douglas, renew to you, Maria, the promise of marriage I made to you 15 years ago.

Today I accept you again to myself as the cornerstone of my life.

As I have been true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, so I will continue to love and honor you all the days of my life.

I, Maria, renew to you, Douglas, the promise of marriage I made to you 15 years ago.

Today I accept you again to myself as the cornerstone of my life.

As I have been true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, so I will continue to love and honor you all the days of my life.

Maria, with the ring, I seal my love for you, and the commitment I re-made here today.

Douglas, with this ring, I seal my love for you, and the commitment I re-made here today.

As Master of Caribbean Princess, I am happy to witness the renewal of your vows and your renewed commitment to each other. May your love continue to grow stronger in the years that lie ahead.

Douglas, you may now kiss your bride of 15 years.

Hubby and I just celebrated 25yrs on board the Liberty with 17 very special people. Our maid of honor and her husband performed the ceremony, we had a friend ( who happens to be a professional photographer IRL) take some professional photos, and we enjoyed a cocktail reception afterwards. You can call the group planning department to reserve a space on board, and a cocktail hour for up to 20 people is a LOT less expensive than Carnival's charge..you just have to decide what is important to you..maybe you could ask a bartender to the reserved space and pay for a round of drinks ( or two). I will say the group planning department were wonderful, and the Guest Services person assigned to us was right on top of everything once we got on board.

It was just as beautiful as our wedding, and just as special, too.

You might check the roll call for your particular ship and sailing date, and ask if anyone on the roll call is ordained. I'd consider it an honor to conduct a wedding or renewal, free. I figure I've paid for our cruise already. Anything I can do to make someone's special is even better.

All best.

Rev. Carl

I was 16, he was 21, when we originally got married. We just celebrated our 50th anniversary, on the Spirit, back in April. We had our vows renewed on board. I too, had to really think about the cost, and would it be worth it. In a word, YES. I am so glad that we did it. Carnival does an excellent job with the ceremony, and I highly recommend it. The Spirit had a lovely chapel, nicely decorated. The bride gets a long stemmed red rose, and the groom a red rose buttoneer.(sp) After the ceremony, the Captain signs a very nice commerative document, which is placed in a nice white faux leather folder. You get a beautiful, and tasty, 2 tier decorated wedding cake,and a bottle of champagne. The only kind of champagne I can stomach, is an Asti, and we were able to request this from the wedding coordinator. No extra charge. You are allowed up to 6 guests, along with the bride and groom, for the basic charge. They let you keep the 2 champagn flutes, inscribed with "Happy Anniversary", and also the cake topper. They ask what you wish to do with the extra cake, and we had them deliver it to the MDR that evening. Where the waiter's happily cut a piece for everyone at our dining table for 10. We also had ordered some extra champagne, to share with our table. We had a happy group that night. lol. There was a ship photographer there,at the ceremony, to take photos. We let him snap several, during and after the ceremony. He took a couple of us out on the deck as well. He wanted to take lots more, but we turned him down. We knew we would be buying only a few pictures, so why waste his time, and ours. The pictures turned out great, he did a nice job. He let us take our time choosing, and there was absolutely no pressure to buy more than we wanted. All in all, it was a terrific experience, and well worth the cost. I'm so glad I choose to do it.

You are already married with a nice family. Unless you are getting remarried to the same person after a seperation, what is the point of this renewing the vows situation?

So I can get wedding pictures as a non-plus sized bride! :D

We had a terrible wedding photographer, and in most of our pictures I look bloated, pasty, or have back fat hanging out of my dress. DH knows how I feel about our pictures so he suggested we renew our vows on our 10th anniversary, and by that point I'll have been on Weight Watchers for 8 years so I should be at goal weight. I think it was really sweet and romantic of him to mention it.

But when we do it it'll just be a party in our back yard with good food, music to dance to, close friends and family, and a better photographer!

My husband and I are renewing ours soon on the Breeze. For us we feel its worth ikt and its much cheaper on Carnival than on other lines.

Even though I do not like HAL, my friends renewed their vows there and they said it included dinner in their speciality restaurant, picture, service and it most less then $200. We are renewing our vows on the Victory over Thanksgiving and we have 8 guests, 10 people total and it is costing us $409(or close to that) for service, cake, champagne, and 1 picture.

Originally Posted by Tripper10

You are already married with a nice family. Unless you are getting remarried to the same person after a seperation, what is the point of this renewing the vows situation?

Agreed. Never have seen the point of this.

Answer: Because they want to

Also because they are romantics...and BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!!!

Even though I do not like HAL, my friends renewed their vows there and they said it included dinner in their speciality restaurant, picture, service and it most less then $200. We are renewing our vows on the Victory over Thanksgiving and we have 8 guests, 10 people total and it is costing us $409(or close to that) for service, cake, champagne, and 1 picture.

Our is only costing $385 on Carnival...why is yours over 400

Originally Posted by Tripper10

Agreed. Never have seen the point of this.

Answer: Because they want to

Also because they are romantics...and BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!!!

Our is only costing $385 on Carnival...why is yours over 400

Archived