Epic vs Freedom of the Seas

smrtypnts

I know that generally speaking this board is going to have a whole lot more people who prefer NCL, but this question is for those who would give an equal rating to either line.

I am indecisive between RCCL's Freedom aft balcony cabin for January 2014, which makes 2 out of 3 of the same stops as Epic. The one different stop is RCCL's own CocoCay. Epic stops in Nassau. Epic stopping in Nassau is a "downer" for me. May even consider just staying on the ship. If I cruise on Epic I would stay in aft-suite, which is more expensive but the amenities are so great in the NCL suites. :D

The price for Freedom is ~ $2200

vs.

The price for Epic is ~ $3800 (This would come with a $450 OBC) You also have to place a $1500 deposit.

Sooooo, which would you choose and why? Obviously, the $1200 (because of the OBC) is a huge difference and I know a lot of people would choose to go on a whole extra cruise for that kind of money, but what other reasons?

Thanks for your help!!

Having sailed on both, I would choose the Freedom because I'd rather go to the private island than Nassau.

There is a lot to do on the Freedom, entertainment may not be as great as the Epics, but I HATE the cabins on the Epic. They are way too small and my husband and I were constantly tripping over each other and even getting dressed was a pain in the neck because there is just not a lot of room.

Don't think I don't like the Epic, because except for the cabins, I like her very much - she is on par with the Allure and Oasis of the Seas.

One thing to keep in mind with RCCL though is that sometimes the ship can't make it into the private island if the waves are rough. I've had that happen on both RCCL and NCL. You would end up with another sea day, vs. being able to dock in Nassau on the Epic.

I like both cruise lines, so I think I am giving you a fair assessment of my opinion of the differences.

For me, I would choose the suite life, and enjoy the Nassau day relaxing onboard the ship. We were on Freedom last year and loved it so there is no wrong choice here, but I lean towards the suite- especially on the epic.

I would also be inclined to choose Freedom, but you are not comparing apples to apples. I would pay the extra if I could afford it for NCL's suite life over what is basically a balcony or mini-suite without all the special treatment that suites get on NCL.

Freedom also sails from Canaveral, which is closer to me and I could drive instead of having to fly, but I do definitely agree that Coco Cay if far more preferable to Nassau (although there is always a chance that the tenders are unable to get into the Cay (it happened when we did the same itinerary on the Mariner a few years ago)). If unable to tender, it's four sea days on the Freedom, so factor that into your decision.

We have sailed Freedom 2x and love her but have decided to give NCL a try and do Epic in early Nov.

I have not sailed Epic but let me tell you why we went with her. Water slides, Slime show, Spiderweb, epic bounce (yes I have kids), the entertainment seems to be top notch I am very excited about it.

I do think from what I have found the MDR menu is more limited on Epic, like they really try and funnel you to the pay for dinner restraunts. Not that anyone even a picky eater like me will go hungry. Now if you are in a suite you get to go to the suite only restraunt and I am sure that is awsome.

On Freedom you don't have to eat in a specialy restraunt to get a great meal.

Coco cay is a great port and I will miss not going to a private island but it can always be a good time to enjoy a mostly empty ship. Last year I had a broken foot and didn't go ashore in St Tomas. I really enjoyed my quiet ship time.

Since no other line I know gives suite passengers as much I would pick a suite on Epic over a blacony on Freedom.

We just sailed the FOS this Feb and it was an awesome ship. Having saying that we have also sailed the Epic 2 yrs ago and found it was great as well. Found the entertainment was very good and lots to do. Now we are scheduled to go back on the Epic in six weeks because we rebooked while on board. If I hadn't rebooked, which ship would I prefer? I would have to say FOS. Loved the main shopping, eating area in the middle of the ship. Everything was in one easy local and the enjoyed the production shows they put on there. Found the desserts somewhat better on FOS also. :o

• 4 weeks later...

I booked the Epic suite. It's aft and I wanted that. It's a little pricey, but it's a suite. Not sure I should have spent that kind of money, but hey....ya only live once!! Now it's a year away :eek: and I'll just have to dream about it. Until then, I have a weekend cruise booked for Feb. 1. :D

We are Diamond on RCCL and Platinum on NCL. I would pick the suite life of NCL. Your sailing history also says you have already been on the Freedom though for one night. I would want to do something different. The Epic is a fabulous ship. We loved our mini suite and think the design and decor was fabulous.

Archived