New Orleans Hotels

Cyndi03

I have searched and searched and am still rather frustrated, so I am sorry to have to ask this here. I am looking for a hotel for 2 nights before our Nov. 26th cruise out of New Orleans. Which is a better "district" to stay in, Downtown, Garden or Warehouse? We would like to be able to be within walking distance to activities because we will not have a car but also would like to make sure it is in a good area. Do you need to have a place with a shuttle to the port or is it just as easy to grab a cab? Thanks!

downtown means near or next to the french qtr

warehouse or garden seems to mean near the port, though Im not sure what the garden district exactly is.

We did hotwire, $72, warehouse/garden district .. it was the garden Hilton, right across from the port with a free shuttle (used the fulton garage shuttle next door, not their own, but its free). The downside is its a long walk into the french qtr. This is the hotel they show 95% thumbs up .. it was a great location for the port.. not so great for french qtr.. walkable .. but not as convenient as other places Ive stayed.

Drury is about my favorite hotel so far.. loved it.. right next to the french qtr.

There are cable cars in the garden district to ride. Nice are to be at..You can take the cable car to the aquarium and walk from there to the port. But the cable car goes all the way on the main street right by Bourbon street. If it is busy jsut prepared to wait for a another car to come along. We were there last December and it actually snowed..Bring warm jack et jsut in case hard to find a hoodie reasonable down there.

We've had 5 stays now and we usually pick downtown. Never had a problem at night walking around and close to everything. With that said, we've done the warehouse district a couple of time and it's been fine. Feel a little uneasy at times walking late at night. Garden district has always been a little further away than we wanted. Cabs from downtown and warehouse district have always been about $5-8 to the pier. Airport downtown is flat $35 for two.

We use Marriott and Doubletree or Hilton and always have been under $100 with advance planning. When the Saints are playing a home game, it gets pretty expensive everywhere. We always check the Saints schedule before booking our December cruises.

The Royal Sonesta in the French Quarter is beautiful and has a great location to everything. It is decorated for Christmas in early November and so pretty and festive! The trolley is not too far and you can take it to see the Garden District(a must see). Taxi service is available and not too expensive to take you to or from the port.

The "Streetcars" are under construction on the St Charles line between the Garden District and Canal. The detours and can be seen on the RTA websight http://www.norta.com/index.html I rode passed the construction last week and it's pretty obvious that it will be a few months before all is back to normal. I know the post is about hotels, but a number of folks were citing information that included streetcar transportation. It's going to be better when it's finished, but for now, it's not available. :(

Warehouse District is where the port is. Downtown area is actually only 5 or 6 blocks away from the port. The Garden District is farther away, down St. Charles St. I always go with the best deal I can get in either the Warehouse or Downtown areas...Priceline, Hotwire, or Last Minute Travel. And it's just as easy to grab a cab as a shuttle...just more expensive, the shuttles are free, although it's usually faster to get a taxi because you don't have to wait if the shuttle isn't there when you are ready to head out.

Archived