Fresh Berries and Wine

marienbad

We are considering our first Azamara cruise. We usually do Crystal.

My wife and I like fresh berries at breakfast and dinner. Are they available on Azamara?

Also is there a choice of complimentary wines? We prefer chardonnay, and wonder what's available.

Thanks.

Gloria and Steve

There are "fresh" berries available in the dining venues but based on your itinerary they might have traveled a long way from Miami in a container. The fresh pineapple at breakfast buffet is usually fantastic. On some overseas itineraries local fruits will be purchased. On some cruises they will offer an opportunity to go shopping with the chef to a local market. Don't miss this if they offer iy.

There are 3 wine selections each day, with the same types poured at both lunch and dinner. Each day there will be a white (a sauvignon blanc, chardonay or another selection), a French rose, and a red selection (cabernet, merlot, or some other selection). The wines rotate each 7 days. You can also buy a package through the wine stewards that will give you a discvount based on the package size that you select. Most of the free wines they pour are of good quality, but that depends on your individual tastes.

Thanks. We're considering a Black Sea cruise. Hope they will find strawberries, blueberries and raspberries along the way. Wonder if we could bring some on if we found them at a market. We once tried that on Royal Caribbean, and they chased us around the ship.

We love shopping with the chef on Seabourn. Didn't know they offered it on Azamara, but we will go if we can.

2 years ago in the Mediterranean, plenty of berries and fruit. No guarantees regarding "free" Chardonnay, however their wine list is pretty extensive, albeit they will charge by the glass or by the bottle. But the poured wines were always very good, with two hellaceously awful finds, one from Romania and another from South Africa.

Other than the nasty politics that are bubbling up to the surface at this time, they are a great line to travel with. If choosing a cruise line comes down to the selection of chardonnay or blueberries, you are very, very lucky people!

2 years ago in the Mediterranean, plenty of berries and fruit. No guarantees regarding "free" Chardonnay, however their wine list is pretty extensive, albeit they will charge by the glass or by the bottle. But the poured wines were always very good, with two hellaceously awful finds, one from Romania and another from South Africa.

Other than the nasty politics that are bubbling up to the surface at this time, they are a great line to travel with. If choosing a cruise line comes down to the selection of chardonnay or blueberries, you are very, very lucky people!

We are lucky. Sorry if we sound spoiled, but we are used to traveling on Crystal.

And pray tell, what is wrong with being spoiled? It's your money! And you only go around once. Enjoy yourselves, and find something more significant than berries to worry about. Azamara delivers, and then some.

Du, a bei gazint! (And don't believe the nonsense about the anti oxidants, they may taste good, and look pretty, but they have been clinically proven not to work... Wine is my vice, cholesterol my passion, and the French may not die of heart disease, but they, like the Italians, die of liver disease. I know, I went to med school in there.) And lest I forget, not exactly "fresh" berries any longer, but the fruit sorbets on board are truly to die for. Work hard in finding your favorite.

David

First, clinical trials do not prove something doesn't work. If the study is null that only means not proven.

Secondly, I know of no controlled clinical trials comparing fresh berries to placebo (how would you make a placebo anyway).

Nice to know there will be sorbet--but how can I indulge in that with my lactose intolerance.

Steve

Have you checked the thread "Journeying on Journey, A Final Report?" There have been some menu changes in the works, but the praise for the lunchtime sorbets should be right up you alley. Enjoy. They mention the apple sorbet. I'm not a great apple fan, but as I recall, it was really, really good. And apparently one of the new desserts in Aqualina is a "berry-mi-su". I suppose it is a version of the classic, and much abused, Italian delicacy for indulgent diners who have a sense of deep guilt. Personally, I'm counting down the days till our Singapore departure.

• 2 weeks later...

There were no fresh berries on the October 16 through October 27 Quest Barcelona to Rome cruise. The berries were mush so I only took them the first morning (and definitely a contrast to the fresh ones we always have enjoyed on Oceania). That being said, the cantaloupe, honeydew and pineapple were fresh and delightful daily; of course, I buried my berry sorrows in chocolate croissants and wonderful lattes!:D

Archived