priority check-in OPT Sydney

pax2

Hmm -- can't say I have ever seen marquees being used at OPT. Might improve things there.

Barry

I didn't see any marques at the check-in lines for the 23 october sailing on rhapsody either ... and there weren't any set up on return!

Sorry Barry no seats....... the idea of the marquee was to give shade for the people standing in line... hopefully with staggered check in times (of which I know you are a BIG fan :D) and the priority lines, plus I believe we will a lot more computers and check in staff available, things should flow pretty smoothly. The reason for the long lines outside by the way is partly due to the fact that because of the space (lack of ) available inside the terminal there is a safety issue as to how many people can be inside at once, so, sadly we have to hold people back in the line outside.. not ideal but we have to comply with the safety requirements.

I think the OPT needs an upgrade so that the cruise lines don't have to use marquees. The upgrade of course being permanent shade structures.

There are also GRUMPY staff who work for interline (or whatever they are called). We were waiting at the kerb for our private transfer and when it arrived they yelled at us and the driver and told him to go 100 metres down the kerb BUT that couldn't happen because it was full of buses and other transfer vehicles .. silly really, so we just got in and off we went, AFTER a supervisor stepped in. Seriously it took us less than 5 minutes to load the car and get in.

I went to see off friends joining the Sun Princess today - sailing from Portside in Brisbane. The staff at Portside REALLY do have all this down to a fine art - from my observation, the very best boarding procedures in Australia.

Barry

When I arrive in Sydney and get to the OPT I will check my bags and then enquire about boarding.

I have fixed flights that I can not control.

I have other family members on a different deck with a check in time several hours later than ours.

Should I just mill around for 4 hours?

As others have said, I am paying for this day on board the Ship.

12:00-1:00pm is fine.

I am not concerned about returned passengers and priority persons. that has nothing to do with me and the Cruise I booked.

I went to see off friends joining the Sun Princess today - sailing from Portside in Brisbane. The staff at Portside REALLY do have all this down to a fine art - from my observation, the very best boarding procedures in Australia.

Barry

I totally agree with you Baz...also helps that they have one of the best facilities in the land.

Pity that the Bne Portside will only accommodate ships up to about the size of the Princess Sun Class (77000 tonnes) and that the big ships (eg Solstice) have to go to the horrible Grain Terminal at Fisherman's Island. :o

In Feb there will be many large ships arriving in Bne, all going to FI..all giving passengers a poor impression of Bne/Qld. :mad:

We are on the Solstice that will be arriving at FI early March, and I have made it my business to organise a private tour for about 20 passengers.

Hopefully with the itinery I have set up they will forgive the very ordinary facilities that Bne. provides for the many overseas cruise ship visitors to this city.

cheers

I totally agree with you Baz...also helps that they have one of the best facilities in the land.

Pity that the Bne Portside will only accommodate ships up to about the size of the Princess Sun Class (77000 tonnes) and that the big ships (eg Solstice) have to go to the horrible Grain Terminal at Fisherman's Island. :o

In Feb there will be many large ships arriving in Bne, all going to FI..all giving passengers a poor impression of Bne/Qld. :mad:

We are on the Solstice that will be arriving at FI early March, and I have made it my business to organise a private tour for about 20 passengers.

Hopefully with the itinery I have set up they will forgive the very ordinary facilities that Bne. provides for the many overseas cruise ship visitors to this city.

cheers

We will be on the Rhapsody in February docking at the grain terminal. I would be interested in setting up a private tour. Can you tell me who you are using and the cost per person.

We will be on the Rhapsody in February docking at the grain terminal. I would be interested in setting up a private tour. Can you tell me who you are using and the cost per person.

Gooday

I note the the Rhapsody will be in Bne in the middle of a very busy time at the Grain Terminal. From 18th Feb to 9th March (3 weeks) there will be 11 major cruise ships visiting - 35000 pax = big business for our city.

The tour I am organising has a theme of "Brisbane - how the locals, live, work and play" and as I am a local it is relatively easy for me to put things together - with assistance from friends and relatives.

Main issue is transport, and I am presently negotiating rates with a number of companies...but I am leaning towards chartering a Bne Council Bus. Its a bit bigger than some of the others and better fits the theme of the tour.

Our tour visits Bne CBD, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary (3hr stay), Mt Cooth-ta, some Terrace suburbs, Kangaroo Point Cliffs, The Bne Cricket Ground (the Gabba) and the bay side suburbs at Manly. All in some 8 hours

At the stage I have 25 people and it will cost them about A$70ea which covers the bus hire (with driver), a volunteer tour guide and entrance to the Lone Pine Sanctuary. Food and other items are discretionary and extra. There is a BBQ lunch available at Lone Pine for A$23pp

Whilst you would have little problem finding a coach hire company, obtaining a freelance tour guide might be a bit more difficult. It would not usually be possible for coach driver to perform these responsibilities unless it was purely sightseeing.

Send me an email to jackp8008 at gmail dot com and I can reply with some more specific info

cheers

I think the OPT needs an upgrade so that the cruise lines don't have to use marquees. The upgrade of course being permanent shade structures.

I believe there are plans afoot to do "improvements" to the OPT (30 million or so?) and RCL and the other lines would like nothing more than to get rid of the marquees etc and have a properly designed terminal that works.

I think that a major renovation would cause all sorts of problems short term though as the OPT is now used almost continually through the cruise season and any major construction work would certainly create problems as there will still be nowhere to berth the "grown up " ships that do not fit under the bridge (unless all the work could be carried over the winter)

Still..... short term pain for long time gain.

There are also GRUMPY staff who work for interline (or whatever they are called). We were waiting at the kerb for our private transfer and when it arrived they yelled at us and the driver and told him to go 100 metres down the kerb BUT that couldn't happen because it was full of buses and other transfer vehicles .. silly really, so we just got in and off we went, AFTER a supervisor stepped in. Seriously it took us less than 5 minutes to load the car and get in.

The vehicle traffic is not controlled by Intercruise ( not Interline) but by the Port Security and..... yes your right..... there are some who get carried away with a little bit of power and a uniform... But they do have the responsibility of keeping that small restricted area safe and flowing so that "everybody" can gain access to the terminal and not just the ones who want to park for half an hour waiting for family or friends.... At least they are fair and yell at EVERYONE:D

The OPT is certainly showing its age...but then my plan is usually to be through it as fast as possible.

Sue

May not seem like it at times but that is also our goal.......... and yes, when you think that the OPT was built probably thirty years ago (a guess) and there were probably only a dozen cruise ships(half the size of todays) a year (another guess) and then lease half the available area that is there to restaurants because it made better money, you can maybe begin to understand the problem the cruise lines face.

It's the first time I've been snarled at by the traffic gestapo in my taxi......she scared me :eek:

Personally I think it was an amazing improvement on my last time through OPT. Having priority this time meant true priority..........I was on in 5 minutes after dropping my bag :D Easy peasy

It's the first time I've been snarled at by the traffic gestapo in my taxi......she scared me :eek:

Personally I think it was an amazing improvement on my last time through OPT. Having priority this time meant true priority..........I was on in 5 minutes after dropping my bag :D Easy peasy

Oh that reminds me it was a SHE ..... Very scarey indeed! Agree it was overall OK but the queueing is definitely a problem especially for elderly, parents with small kids/prams and disabled.

May not seem like it at times but that is also our goal.......... and yes, when you think that the OPT was built probably thirty years ago (a guess) and there were probably only a dozen cruise ships(half the size of todays) a year (another guess) and then lease half the available area that is there to restaurants because it made better money, you can maybe begin to understand the problem the cruise lines face.

from

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/corporation/news/e-current_newsletter/e-current_december_2010/overseas_passenger_terminal_-_fifty_years_on

The Overseas Passenger Terminal was opened on 20 December 1960.

The first ship to use the terminal was the Oriana which arrived in Sydney on 30 December 1960 on its maiden voyage from Southampton.

By the 1980's the price of air travel had dropped to a point where it became an affordable option for the majority of travellers and long-distance travel by sea became much less attractive.

By 1983 it was suggested that up to one third of the terminal was obsolete.

Substantial modifications, including restaurants and cafes, took place as part of the lead up to the 1988 Bicentennial celebrations.

Sydney Ports Corporation oversaw another major revamp of the terminal which was unveiled in 2001, following a $22 million renovation. At that time 60 cruise ships were visiting Sydney carrying some 100,000 passengers each year.

from

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/corporation/news/e-current_newsletter/e-current_december_2010/overseas_passenger_terminal_-_fifty_years_on

The Overseas Passenger Terminal was opened on 20 December 1960.

The first ship to use the terminal was the Oriana which arrived in Sydney on 30 December 1960 on its maiden voyage from Southampton.

By the 1980's the price of air travel had dropped to a point where it became an affordable option for the majority of travellers and long-distance travel by sea became much less attractive.

By 1983 it was suggested that up to one third of the terminal was obsolete.

Substantial modifications, including restaurants and cafes, took place as part of the lead up to the 1988 Bicentennial celebrations.

Sydney Ports Corporation oversaw another major revamp of the terminal which was unveiled in 2001, following a $22 million renovation. At that time 60 cruise ships were visiting Sydney carrying some 100,000 passengers each year.

Hmm........ seems my guess of thirty years was a little out (Im too young to remember when it opened:D:D ) but the detail supports what I was trying to say. Interesting that in 2001 there were 60 cruise ships for the entire year and this year Royal Caribbean / Celebrity alone will have 54 "turnarounds" and that is only in the summer.

Oh that reminds me it was a SHE ..... Very scarey indeed! Agree it was overall OK but the queueing is definitely a problem especially for elderly, parents with small kids/prams and disabled.

I know who you mean...............takes her job very seriously but a nice lady once you get to know her

Hmm........ seems my guess of thirty years was a little out (Im too young to remember when it opened:D:D ) but the detail supports what I was trying to say. Interesting that in 2001 there were 60 cruise ships for the entire year and this year Royal Caribbean / Celebrity alone will have 54 "turnarounds" and that is only in the summer.

I recall a couple of years ago, one of the staff working at the checkin area of OPT, saying that the restaurants were not very happy with the ships and the chaos on boarding days. They must be frantic these days!!! Time for them to go and the building to be reconverted to a cruise terminal.

Barry

I recall a couple of years ago, one of the staff working at the checkin area of OPT, saying that the restaurants were not very happy with the ships and the chaos on boarding days. They must be frantic these days!!! Time for them to go and the building to be reconverted to a cruise terminal.

Barry

Were's the like button? Couldn't agree with you more, Barry.

BTW, you can hire parts of the OPT as a venue.:eek:

http://www.optsydney.com.au

Maybe you could hold a cocktail party for 1,000 people instead of flying Business Class & sailing in a Suite. ;)

Barry

I believe that may be part of the master plan. Pehaps they could put another level on top, relocate the restaurants there and then everyone would be happy.

Hi Everyone,

I'm not familiar with the OPT and was wondering is there a pick up zone for when we return from our cruise or would it be best to have them park nearby and walk down?

There is a drop off/pick up area but I wouldnt recommend it due to the high volume of many other people doing the same thing/taxis/buses. There is parking nearby (just drive under the bridge and the parking is just around the corner) and then it's a few mins walk from the OPT to the car.

Archived