What should we expect from a TA for transferring a cruise?

Jane2357

Update I called my TA and asked her about this and she told me it is Celebrity's policy that when you switch staterooms a booking is canceled and and a new booking is made. She also said that they are aware that many do this when there are price drops-move up to better staterooms. She feels some TA's use that policy as an excuse for not doing the leg work for their clients and that is not why that policy was instituted. She said that policy was put in place for people who had already contracted to pay "x" amount of dollars for their cruise stateroom and then when there was a price drop wanted to pay the new lower price.

So I don't think I will get any surprise bills at the pier. If I did then that would be the last time I used that agency OR agent.

We've changed cabins several times and our booking number has always remained the same. I'd question your TA.

Glad you called and asked. Like I said, I wasn't trying to scare you..just wanted you to be well-informed and not have any surprises. Have a great trip!

The trip is over in which we got the great price for a skysuite- that was in June. We are doing a little cruise on the Connie in January but that did not come down in price and it is past final payment now anyway. We made final payment just the other day. BTW since this is cruise # 21 I know how to check things out when I see a post that does not seem quite kosher- you did not "scare" me. I only mentioned that because I have read posts here of people saying that was against Celebrity's policy when I posted this before-but yet I knew our TA did this for us and I feel she is worth her weight in gold, because of the trouble she takes for us, even if she is "an online TA." I knew we had a new booking # each time so I thought perhaps that is how she did it. My "bad".

I do know to take posts with a grain of salt, however for future reference which is why I decided to call her and ask if what she did for us was frowned upon by Celebrity. If I had already called her and asked her I guess I would not have upset you. I should have known she would do nothing underhanded-she wants to keep her reputation as a good TA, I am sure not only with customers but also with the cruiselines. I am sorry I inferred that. I understand how the policy works now-so I am not going to worry if others tell me that I or my TA are cheating the system again.

The point is-Celebrity made that policy because of people abusing the system-and because that policy is in effect-it is more work for TAs- they have to call Celebrity, cancel and rebook every time you upgrade because of a price drop (which they do by phone WITH a Celebrity rep because it is actually the rep that makes the changes)-but by doing that Celebrity keeps people who are staying in the same stateroom from getting the new lower price. Many TA's may tell their clients that is "against policy" because THEY do not want to take the trouble. On the surface it is-except that the Celebrity rep will make " an exception" as long as you are still paying the same money or more. My TA told me that is why she has us hold on the line while she is on the other line talking to the Celebrity rep. Not until she finishes talking to the rep can she tell us whether we could upgrade or not.

Anyway, think about it-if Celebrity did NOT do this-how many would simply cancel the cruise before final payment and simply choose another line. They KNOW they would lose a lot of customers.

BTW I just hope my TA is not too pissed with me because of you. That is my only real "scare" that next time she may not try so hard for us.

We've changed cabins several times and our booking number has always remained the same. I'd question your TA.

Read my post above-no questioning her any more. Would you like me to call Celebrity now? No thanks but you can if you choose to do so.

I am sorry, but your TA is absolutely incorrect. When you switch staterooms, your initial booking remains, they just update the stateroom information, and anything additional, such as the category and pricing, where applicable. Your Booking ID remains the same. I frequently change staterooms, or categories, and have always retained the same booking number.

Celebrity can and does monitor when bookings are cancelled and rebooked, particularly with respect to obtaining some kind of new promotional benefit.

Here is the "fine print" from the email I received from Celebrity for last week's National Cruise Week promotion:

*Onboard Credit (“OBC”) Offer applies to 7-night or longer Alaska, Europe, Bermuda or Caribbean sailings departing Jan. 1, 2013–April 30, 2014. Cruise must be booked Oct. 21-27, 2012 (“Offer Period”). OBC based on stateroom category in the following OBC amounts: for non-loyalty bookings, $50 inside and ocean view, $100 veranda, $150 Concierge Class and AquaClass®, $200 suites; and for Captain’s Club bookings, $50 more than the corresponding non-loyalty OBC for each category. Valid membership number must be provided at time of booking. New members may book onboard without a membership number but must provide the membership number by Nov. 1, 2012 to be eligible for the Offer. Offer limited to one per stateroom. Cruise portion of cruisetours eligible for Offer based on number of cruise nights. Single occupancy bookings eligible for Offer. OBC has no cash value, is applicable to cruise only, non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, will expire if not used by 10:00 PM on the final night of the cruise, and will be applied to reservation within 10 days of booking. Offer is applicable to new individual bookings and bookings named and deposited within a group during the Offer Period. Offer is subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, not combinable with any other offer or certain price programs, including GRPX Jan-Apr 2013 sailings, net rates, Exciting Deals, ChoiceAir® specials, Reduced air, interline, travel agent, Travelzoo, and employee rates, and may be withdrawn at any time. Offer is not applicable to bookings made prior to the Offer Period that are cancelled and rebooked during the Offer Period. Refer to Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. Modern Luxury is a trademark of Celebrity Cruises Inc. ©2012 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships registered in Malta and

Ecuador. 12030947 • 9/2012

It was not an "offer period" such as suddenly they are offering an on board credit-there was a PRICE DROP. I do not know- perhaps Celebrity does not do this for "two bit travel agents." Maybe they just do it for the bigger companies that bring them a lot of business- all I know is what my travel agent told me. Maybe some of the Celebrity reps are pulling as fast one? Surely they know when they talk to an agent and the SAME NAMES are cancelling a cruise and then booking to a better stateroom on the SAME CRUISE?

One thing for sure YOU are trying to scare me- perhaps I should just do this in the future when I see prices drops before final payment-I will simply cancel and go with another line-because at the same time Celebrity Solstice prices were dropping there was the Ruby Princess dropping prices also-I would have been just as happy on her for the Med. In fact I liked the Ruby princess ports better-but in the beginning she was a good $500 more than the Solstice for similar category staterooms. This past summer all the lines were dropping their prices on the Med cruises. they were not selling well I can only assume.

Oh- bye the way-it was my ROLLCALL that alerted us to the price drops.

Update I called my TA and asked her about this and she told me it is Celebrity's policy that when you switch staterooms a booking is canceled and and a new booking is made.

I would be very careful about this if you have insurance that covers pre-existing conditions. There are at least two of them that can be paid at final payment and cover pre-existing conditions, BUT, if one cancels and rebooks this coverage is voided. It's to keep people from canceling and rebooking to pick up insurance which covers pre-existing conditions because they now have a condition.

At least they mention GRPX rates which I had not heard of before. They do not seem to be combinable with anything including booking on board credits.

i found out when I booked a Passage onboard and was told it was combinable with group rates. They failed to mention they were not combinable with GroupX rates. The group X rate turned out to be better than the $300.00 book on board credit.

===

Onboard Credit (“OBC”) Offer applies to 7-night or longer Alaska, Europe, Bermuda or Caribbean sailings departing Jan. 1, 2013–April 30, 2014. Cruise must be booked Oct. 21-27, 2012 (“Offer Period”). OBC based on stateroom category in the following OBC amounts: for non-loyalty bookings, $50 inside and ocean view, $100 veranda, $150 Concierge Class and AquaClass®, $200 suites; and for Captain’s Club bookings, $50 more than the corresponding non-loyalty OBC for each category. Valid membership number must be provided at time of booking. New members may book onboard without a membership number but must provide the membership number by Nov. 1, 2012 to be eligible for the Offer. Offer limited to one per stateroom. Cruise portion of cruisetours eligible for Offer based on number of cruise nights. Single occupancy bookings eligible for Offer. OBC has no cash value, is applicable to cruise only, non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, will expire if not used by 10:00 PM on the final night of the cruise, and will be applied to reservation within 10 days of booking. Offer is applicable to new individual bookings and bookings named and deposited within a group during the Offer Period. Offer is subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, not combinable with any other offer or certain price programs, including GRPX Jan-Apr 2013 sailings, net rates, Exciting Deals, ChoiceAir® specials, Reduced air, interline, travel agent, Travelzoo, and employee rates, and may be withdrawn at any time. Offer is not applicable to bookings made prior to the Offer Period that are cancelled and rebooked during the Offer Period. Refer to Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. Modern Luxury is a trademark of Celebrity Cruises Inc. ©2012 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships registered in Malta and

Ecuador. 12030947 • 9/2012

Interesting Jane. On another post you criticize people for being upset that the Elite Cocktail hour perk is in jeopardy. Isn't this just what you are looking for- an "entitlement"?

Not an "entitlement" - it is called getting the best deal. Do you go to the car dealership and just pay sticker? No - you shop around to find the dealer that can give you the best deal. I LOVE it when people try to compare apples and oranges.

It was not an "offer period" such as suddenly they are offering an on board credit-there was a PRICE DROP. I do not know- perhaps Celebrity does not do this for "two bit travel agents." Maybe they just do it for the bigger companies that bring them a lot of business- all I know is what my travel agent told me. Maybe some of the Celebrity reps are pulling as fast one? Surely they know when they talk to an agent and the SAME NAMES are cancelling a cruise and then booking to a better stateroom on the SAME CRUISE?

One thing for sure YOU are trying to scare me- perhaps I should just do this in the future when I see prices drops before final payment-I will simply cancel and go with another line-because at the same time Celebrity Solstice prices were dropping there was the Ruby Princess dropping prices also-I would have been just as happy on her for the Med. In fact I liked the Ruby princess ports better-but in the beginning she was a good $500 more than the Solstice for similar category staterooms. This past summer all the lines were dropping their prices on the Med cruises. they were not selling well I can only assume.

Oh- bye the way-it was my ROLLCALL that alerted us to the price drops.

I can't tell for sure from your post, but I think you have misunderstood me.

I am talking about two separate things that have been addressed:

1. You do NOT have to cancel and rebook in order to take an advantage of a price drop before final payment. Celebrity permits you to take advantage of a price drop before final payment. Your travel agent simply calls the Celebrity reservations department, and asks for the new price, and your existing reservation is updated. If you change categories because of a price drop, then your new cabin and category, as well as the pricing, will be changed on your existing reservation. Everything else on that reservation will be the same...bookings, links to other reservations for dining, etc.

2. A separate issue (although somewhat related), is the practice of cancelling and rebooking to secure some kind of pricing discount or OBC offer that is for new bookings only. What I was saying is that Celebrity CAN and DOES monitor whether existing reservations have been cancelled and rebooked to take advantage of some benefits that an existing reservation would not be eligible for.

I'm sorry, but I really do not understand what you meant by your last paragraph. In no way was I trying to scare you, so I apologize if that is what you were thinking was my intention. I was just trying to provide some information.

If I am following this correctly, I dont think anyone is trying to scare you, the bottom line is if you booked a cruise, cancelled and rebooked you are not eligible for any incentives that come for "new bookings only" : I highly doubt X has that policy in place because it gives a TA too much work!

Not an "entitlement" - it is called getting the best deal. Do you go to the car dealership and just pay sticker? No - you shop around to find the dealer that can give you the best deal. I LOVE it when people try to compare apples and oranges.

I agree with you 100%, but in very few cases will the dealer agree to lower the price or add accessories after you have purchased the vehicle.

It's nice if you can take advantage of a price drop or added incentives but people should not "expect" that they get a lower price because prices have gone down, or "expect" to get the benefits such as OBC from their old reservation when they take advantage of a price drop or other.

I think we are fine because when prices drop we move up to a better stateroom so our bill does not go down. I would feel it unfair to Celebrity the other way myself. We first booked an oceanview for our Med cruise this past summer. We normally book balconies but we did that to save money as our airfare was pricey. Prices dropped-we moved to a balcony-dropped again we moved to Aqua class-dropped again and we moved to a sky suite. Now the skysuite was $300 a person more but we figured when would we ever get a skysuite for $1900 each again for a 12 day cruise-LOL! Kind've funny when you think of it-original price on a balcony was $1800 each which is why we booked an oceanview for $1600-but then we ended up booking a skysuite for $100 more. Of course the reason was it was a skysuite on the very back of the ship-we decided the 2 dinners in specialties and being able to watch the wake of the ship was worth $300 more-besides the extra room and real bathtub and morning cappuccinos! Those other things were just bonuses!

You are not being cancelled and if that is what your TA is telling you, you better check that out. If it's being done that way, your credit card would have numerous credits and debits. It is not the way its done. I you qualify for something, they changes are made within your booking. (I am a TA.)

Canceling a reservation and rebooking does not always mean multiple debits and credits. These can sometimes be transferred from one booking to another. It may also depend on how res was originally booked (TA or direct X), time prior to departure etc.

You are not being cancelled and if that is what your TA is telling you, you better check that out. If it's being done that way, your credit card would have numerous credits and debits. It is not the way its done. I you qualify for something, they changes are made within your booking. (I am a TA.)

You are right I was wrong on that-I checked our emails and talked to hubby. Hubby said I was confused because originally my daughter and her friend were booked in the stateroom with us and that THEY got a new booking # when they decided they could afford their own room after all. I knew he had to change the Travelguard because of the booking # changing-but that was why-we also had booked a whole different cruise on the Equinox that would have been next month that we canceled her when we first booked the Solstice-so that was also a different booking # that we had to transfer to the Travelguard.

You have to contact your TA if the price goes down and if the price has gone down, your OBC will go down depending on the amount the cruise has decreased.

Yes, that is similar to us, although for the second price drop she called us. For the last switch we did-there was a $300 on onboard credit that Celebrity offered that we received when we first booked.

A person on our roll call said he was able to switch from aqua to a skysuite for an even price. We called our TA and she said she was told by the Celebrity rep that we could not keep the $300 on board credit promotion we had first gotten because the skysuite price was too good a deal (which was the price difference for us to switch from aqua to skysuite). We thought it over and decided they were right-it IS too good a deal to pass up and so we switched to the skysuite.

I can't tell for sure from your post, but I think you have misunderstood me.

I am talking about two separate things that have been addressed:

1. You do NOT have to cancel and rebook in order to take an advantage of a price drop before final payment. Celebrity permits you to take advantage of a price drop before final payment. Your travel agent simply calls the Celebrity reservations department, and asks for the new price, and your existing reservation is updated. If you change categories because of a price drop, then your new cabin and category, as well as the pricing, will be changed on your existing reservation. Everything else on that reservation will be the same...bookings, links to other reservations for dining, etc.

2. A separate issue (although somewhat related), is the practice of cancelling and rebooking to secure some kind of pricing discount or OBC offer that is for new bookings only. What I was saying is that Celebrity CAN and DOES monitor whether existing reservations have been cancelled and rebooked to take advantage of some benefits that an existing reservation would not be eligible for.

I'm sorry, but I really do not understand what you meant by your last paragraph. In no way was I trying to scare you, so I apologize if that is what you were thinking was my intention. I was just trying to provide some information.

Sorry, I guess I lost it a little-read my above post. I was wrong-no new booking #-I was confused because (1) we switched cruises-ships and dates so that booking # was changed and (2) When we booked the Solstice cruise we originally had our daughter and her friend booked in a quad room with us for the Solstice cruise to help them save a few dollars-before they decided they could pay extra to have their own room-so THEY got a new booking #-maybe we did too-not sure on that-have to check the emails again- as our TA always sends us emails with confirmations for our records-even though we do it by phone- but we did NOT get a new booking # for the last change we made-or the one before that.

Canceling a reservation and rebooking does not always mean multiple debits and credits. These can sometimes be transferred from one booking to another. It may also depend on how res was originally booked (TA or direct X), time prior to departure etc.

Yes, that's true. But when someone says they cancelled so they could rebook at a different rate, special etc. I would be a full cancellation with repeated debits and credits, especially if they are cancelling because they can't get the new rate on the booking they already have.

Sorry, I guess I lost it a little-read my above post. I was wrong-no new booking #-I was confused because (1) we switched cruises-ships and dates so that booking # was changed and (2) When we booked the Solstice cruise we originally had our daughter and her friend booked in a quad room with us for the Solstice cruise to help them save a few dollars-before they decided they could pay extra to have their own room-so THEY got a new booking #-maybe we did too-not sure on that-have to check the emails again- as our TA always sends us emails with confirmations for our records-even though we do it by phone- but we did NOT get a new booking # for the last change we made-or the one before that.

No problem at all...I certainly understand how some of the details get a little fuzzy after there have been a number of changes made. :)

I think it was really nice of you to come back and explain the misunderstanding.

Jane -

I completely agree with your not being happy with the last OBC you were offered, I would agree with calling around to just ask about what can be done if you transfer your booking.

And because a lot of people have said on here you can only get those "big" OBC's with huge online TA's with no service, that is completely wrong (although maybe the "normal"). My TA who does give great OBC, is a locally owned and operated TA, they do have a great online business (on my Alaska cruise last year I met a fellow CC'er who used the same TA as I did!) The lady I work with is extremely over the top attentive (in responding to requests, answering questions etc.) I need no help from her in choosing cabins, doing paperwork, etc.

I hope you find a great deal and a great TA!!!

Andrea

Most travel agencies would be out of business if they awarded generous OBC. It is only the extremely large online agencies that are able to do this. If all you care about is OBC book with a massive agency. Just be aware there are cons associated with such agencies that sometimes end up costing much, much more than the extra OBC you received.

We have an excellent T/A. She books our cruises, takes care of our hotel and flight arrangements. We really get quality service and so under the circumstances an On Board Credit is not all that important to us. We would rather see them do well and stay in business so they can continue to provide us with excellent service. Most of the time I think you get what you pay for. :)

Archived