What should we expect from a TA for transferring a cruise?

Jane2357

I have to agree with Gonzo70. If all you are looking for is a large OBC, then definitely look at the large, well-known online agencies. However, don't expect ANY customer service from them. You will likely never get to speak to the same agent twice if you have questions and they will likely be slow to respond to your questions. If you have any problems with your trip, they will likely not go to bat for you. They won't help file insurance claims should the need arise, etc. While you may not need any of these services, I would hate to find out the hard way. The old adage...you get what you pay for. You say you don't need hand-holding...and you might not. Just don't expect to be able to contact your agent for anything pre or post cruise. An agent that can't afford to give up as much of their commission is more likely to offer better customer service and be available 24/7. I know many travelers that have their agent's cell phone number for emergencies.

Just my 2 cents...hope you have a great cruise.

Soccer Mom

I have to agree with Gonzo70. If all you are looking for is a large OBC, then definitely look at the large, well-known online agencies. However, don't expect ANY customer service from them. You will likely never get to speak to the same agent twice if you have questions and they will likely be slow to respond to your questions. If you have any problems with your trip, they will likely not go to bat for you. They won't help file insurance claims should the need arise, etc. While you may not need any of these services, I would hate to find out the hard way. The old adage...you get what you pay for. You say you don't need hand-holding...and you might not. Just don't expect to be able to contact your agent for anything pre or post cruise. An agent that can't afford to give up as much of their commission is more likely to offer better customer service and be available 24/7. I know many travelers that have their agent's cell phone number for emergencies.

Soccer Mom

Not all online agencies are created equal. Some will actually help you. I've told the story before how my online TA actually contacted a Restaurant Manager to make sure my DW and I had our favorite table.

Not all online agencies are created equal. Some will actually help you. I've told the story before how my online TA actually contacted a Restaurant Manager to make sure my DW and I had our favorite table.

Wow - awesome service! I don't and can't expect this type of service. In the 5 cruises that I've taken - ONCE I got a bottle of wine 9nasty) and ONCE I got a tacky (as in put it straight to the Goodwill box) picture frame.

I wish this site had a way for TA recommendations but they don't. I'd love to think I had someone as awesome as Orator does but MOST aren't that good so - yes the OBC is important.

I wish this site had a way for TA recommendations but they don't.

Since this site is owned by a travel agency (Expedia) it would not be in the site's interest to permit recommendations. Paid advertisements only.

OK - before now I never knew to ask or expect anything - now that I know better, I just plain asked "what can you do for me?" The TA that I approached came back with a $200.00 OBC and a bottle of wine (thanks but no - I'm picky about my wine). Compare that to what Andrea is getting for a similar cruise ($450. OBC) - this shows my TA isn't offering enough. And I did also get them 8 other bookings on a lower level cruise line.

The cruise has a base price of $7,798.00 - Leesie6351 says she gets 8% of her TA's commission - but how much commission is there? Am I expecting too much to ask for the $450.00

I have a friend who is a corporate travel agent, so she books very few cruises. The commission that she receives is 10 percent. I am assuming that the larger agencies get more commission since we generally get around that amount as an OBC or reduction in price. We also send our cruise out for competing bids and choose an agency from those bids. It seems like when we compare apples to apples we almost always end up with the same agency--and the same specific agent. If an agency has a group booking you can expect even more back.

I am referring to 10 percent of the base price--before taxes.

Happy hunting!

And I don't need lots of hand holding. I can get myself through the online check-in, print my own luggage tags, don't need another Sail & Sign holder, neck thingie. I'm giving them a commission and just want a cut of it back.

But they havent had to do anything. At the most they will make more money selling me "their insurance" and will mail me final documents. What more will they do? They didn't research and find me this cruise, didn't find the cabin I wanted. So why shouldn't they be willing to kick back a small percent. If I don't transfer it to them they get zero.

Yes! We are like-minded! I would feel differently if I needed lots of hand-holding (any for that matter). Part of my fun is doing my own planning. So yes, I do want them to split their commission with me. It takes them every bit of 2 seconds to push a couple of keys on the keyboard. Furthermore, since we often travel all inclusive cruise lines, I want it in a rebate, not a shipboard credit.

Again, you should expect to get 10% of your cruise cost back plus some benefits.

But they havent had to do anything. At the most they will make more money selling me "their insurance" and will mail me final documents. What more will they do? They didn't research and find me this cruise, didn't find the cabin I wanted. So why shouldn't they be willing to kick back a small percent. If I don't transfer it to them they get zero.

They don't have a scale of comm, if they didn't do much for you then that is your choice. Why don't you just book with them from the start? If you have worked in the travel industry at all, you will know that transferring bookings is not just a mouse click. The background accounting that goes into reconciling payments, deposits, cancelations, changes, paying out comm and on board credits is huge.

If you get take out do you ask for a free dessert because you didn't take up a table? If you call the airlines and book directly with them do you ask for a discount cause they don't have to pay a commission to a travel agent?

As for commissions, after the internet became popular, hotels, car rental co's airlines and cruise lines slashed commissions. Corporate accounts often get higher commissions but don't think that the $200 pp that your agent may get pp is a windfall. There is a lot pf work that you have no clue about, not to mention business operating expenses and all our "freebies" that eat into that very quickly.

Most travel agencies would be out of business if they awarded generous OBC. It is only the extremely large online agencies that are able to do this. If all you care about is OBC book with a massive agency. Just be aware there are cons associated with such agencies that sometimes end up costing much, much more than the extra OBC you received.
Totally agree.Two things to remember Caveat Emptor,let the buyer beware and if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.Our TA is a small business and doesn't do perks but works with me on everything,never charges for cruise changing,watches for deals and better cabins,etc. etc.Wouldn't trade for a few perks.:D

Sure they do if they have a group booking.

Actually, no, Celebrity does not allow agents to discount the price of a cruise fare. With a group fare, Celebrity is the one who discounts the price of the fare, and the travel agent passes along the discount. Not the same thing as the travel agent being allowed to discount a fare.

Hi-- I goofed-- I meant to say my TA rebates 8% of the cabin rate not her commission-- the rate is based on the actual cabin fare not incl taxes and port charges. sometimes, she has gone higher if I've booked a longer cruise in a higher category but it's never less than 8%.

Sorry for the goof!!!:mad:

Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom it depends on the online agency. We use one and we have a personal agent and her line# to call her personally and leave her a message. We only speak to other people if when we make final payment she is on vacation or off that particular day.

Soccer Mom it depends on the online agency. We use one and we have a personal agent and her line# to call her personally and leave her a message. We only speak to other people if when we make final payment she is on vacation or off that particular day.

She also will cancel and re-book our cruise when there are price drops (that is how she gets around Celebrity's rule that prices are good only on new bookings-of course if the price drops after final payment she can't do anything for us) she goes to A LOT of trouble for us-but then she knows we will be back giving her business.

Whenever we have had to cancel there was never a cancellation fee. However another smaller agency (a friend of a friend was a TA there which is why we booked a cruise through her on our friend's recommendation) did charge us $50 per person for canceling-so we never used that agency again for that reason and went back to our online agency and agent.

MomofMeg...there are good agents out there that work for the large agencies. That is why I said "likely". I should advise you to be careful if/when your agent cancels existing bookings and rebooks to get a promotion. IF Celebrity catches on, you could face a surprise when you go to check in at the pier in the form of higher price or loss of amenities. Certainly not trying to "scare" or intimidate you....just want you to be careful.

SoccerMom

I understand that I "may" get more service from a local brick and mortar agency and I don't mind paying "something" more for that service. However--I certainly don't think I would ever require any service that would justify giving up a $750 OBC for a $7500 cruise. The level of service doesn't go up as the price goes up.

I have absolutely no problem with others deciding they are more comfortable with a brick and mortar--but IMHO $750 would require a lot of comfort.

I also pay for a service to monitor price drops and I am way more comfortable spending those few dollars then relying on a busy travel agent to remember that they had me booked on a cruise for which a price drop just came through.

I understand that I "may" get more service from a local brick and mortar agency and I don't mind paying "something" more for that service. However--I certainly don't think I would ever require any service that would justify giving up a $750 OBC for a $7500 cruise. The level of service doesn't go up as the price goes up.

I have absolutely no problem with others deciding they are more comfortable with a brick and mortar--but IMHO $750 would require a lot of comfort.

I also pay for a service to monitor price drops and I am way more comfortable spending those few dollars then relying on a busy travel agent to remember that they had me booked on a cruise for which a price drop just came through.

I agree with this 100%. I know exactly what I want so I don't need a TA to help me with anything beyond making my booking. My TA will also give price drops if I find them, and I use a service to track that.

Our upcoming cruise has a $2096 base fare according to my TA invoice (not what the X website says), and we are receiving a $225 OBC.

Jane, Its a learning experience, right? Remember my Mother dragging me on my first cruise where we dined with purser every other night. Asked head waiter why, "because you paid second highest $ for your cabin." I vowed to learn the cruise game just as you are. Unless I missed it, no one addressed the bonus for booking 8 cabins, considered a group booking(usually booked through the group booking desk). Its either one berth for each eight berths or eight cabins. Maybe someone with group experience can reply. Bon Voyage.

MomofMeg...there are good agents out there that work for the large agencies. That is why I said "likely". I should advise you to be careful if/when your agent cancels existing bookings and rebooks to get a promotion. IF Celebrity catches on, you could face a surprise when you go to check in at the pier in the form of higher price or loss of amenities. Certainly not trying to "scare" or intimidate you....just want you to be careful.

SoccerMom

I think we are fine because when prices drop we move up to a better stateroom so our bill does not go down. I would feel it unfair to Celebrity the other way myself. We first booked an oceanview for our Med cruise this past summer. We normally book balconies but we did that to save money as our airfare was pricey. Prices dropped-we moved to a balcony-dropped again we moved to Aqua class-dropped again and we moved to a sky suite. Now the skysuite was $300 a person more but we figured when would we ever get a skysuite for $1900 each again for a 12 day cruise-LOL! Kind've funny when you think of it-original price on a balcony was $1800 each which is why we booked an oceanview for $1600-but then we ended up booking a skysuite for $100 more. Of course the reason was it was a skysuite on the very back of the ship-we decided the 2 dinners in specialties and being able to watch the wake of the ship was worth $300 more-besides the extra room and real bathtub and morning cappuccinos! Those other things were just bonuses!

I think we are fine because when prices drop we move up to a better stateroom so our bill does not go down. I would feel it unfair to Celebrity the other way myself. We first booked an oceanview for our Med cruise this past summer. We normally book balconies but we did that to save money as our airfare was pricey. Prices dropped-we moved to a balcony-dropped again we moved to Aqua class-dropped again and we moved to a sky suite. Now the skysuite was $300 a person more but we figured when would we ever get a skysuite for $1900 each again for a 12 day cruise-LOL! Kind've funny when you think of it-original price on a balcony was $1800 each which is why we booked an oceanview for $1600-but then we ended up booking a skysuite for $100 more. Of course the reason was it was a skysuite on the very back of the ship-we decided the 2 dinners in specialties and being able to watch the wake of the ship was worth $300 more-besides the extra room and real bathtub and morning cappuccinos! Those other things were just bonuses!

Update I called my TA and asked her about this and she told me it is Celebrity's policy that when you switch staterooms a booking is canceled and and a new booking is made. She also said that they are aware that many do this when there are price drops-move up to better staterooms. She feels some TA's use that policy as an excuse for not doing the leg work for their clients and that is not why that policy was instituted. She said that policy was put in place for people who had already contracted to pay "x" amount of dollars for their cruise stateroom and then when there was a price drop wanted to pay the new lower price.

So I don't think I will get any surprise bills at the pier. If I did then that would be the last time I used that agency OR agent.

Update I called my TA and asked her about this and she told me it is Celebrity's policy that when you switch staterooms a booking is canceled and and a new booking is made. She also said that they are aware that many do this when there are price drops-move up to better staterooms. She feels some TA's use that policy as an excuse for not doing the leg work for their clients and that is not why that policy was instituted. She said that policy was put in place for people who had already contracted to pay "x" amount of dollars for their cruise stateroom and then when there was a price drop wanted to pay the new lower price.

So I don't think I will get any surprise bills at the pier. If I did then that would be the last time I used that agency OR agent.

Glad you called and asked. Like I said, I wasn't trying to scare you..just wanted you to be well-informed and not have any surprises. Have a great trip!

I am sorry, but your TA is absolutely incorrect. When you switch staterooms, your initial booking remains, they just update the stateroom information, and anything additional, such as the category and pricing, where applicable. Your Booking ID remains the same. I frequently change staterooms, or categories, and have always retained the same booking number.

Celebrity can and does monitor when bookings are cancelled and rebooked, particularly with respect to obtaining some kind of new promotional benefit.

Here is the "fine print" from the email I received from Celebrity for last week's National Cruise Week promotion:

*Onboard Credit (“OBC”) Offer applies to 7-night or longer Alaska, Europe, Bermuda or Caribbean sailings departing Jan. 1, 2013–April 30, 2014. Cruise must be booked Oct. 21-27, 2012 (“Offer Period”). OBC based on stateroom category in the following OBC amounts: for non-loyalty bookings, $50 inside and ocean view, $100 veranda, $150 Concierge Class and AquaClass®, $200 suites; and for Captain’s Club bookings, $50 more than the corresponding non-loyalty OBC for each category. Valid membership number must be provided at time of booking. New members may book onboard without a membership number but must provide the membership number by Nov. 1, 2012 to be eligible for the Offer. Offer limited to one per stateroom. Cruise portion of cruisetours eligible for Offer based on number of cruise nights. Single occupancy bookings eligible for Offer. OBC has no cash value, is applicable to cruise only, non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, will expire if not used by 10:00 PM on the final night of the cruise, and will be applied to reservation within 10 days of booking. Offer is applicable to new individual bookings and bookings named and deposited within a group during the Offer Period. Offer is subject to availability and change without notice, capacity controlled, not combinable with any other offer or certain price programs, including GRPX Jan-Apr 2013 sailings, net rates, Exciting Deals, ChoiceAir® specials, Reduced air, interline, travel agent, Travelzoo, and employee rates, and may be withdrawn at any time. Offer is not applicable to bookings made prior to the Offer Period that are cancelled and rebooked during the Offer Period. Refer to Cruise Ticket Contract for additional terms and conditions. Modern Luxury is a trademark of Celebrity Cruises Inc. ©2012 Celebrity Cruises Inc. Ships registered in Malta and

Ecuador. 12030947 • 9/2012

Jane, Its a learning experience, right? Remember my Mother dragging me on my first cruise where we dined with purser every other night. Asked head waiter why, "because you paid second highest $ for your cabin." I vowed to learn the cruise game just as you are. Unless I missed it, no one addressed the bonus for booking 8 cabins, considered a group booking(usually booked through the group booking desk). Its either one berth for each eight berths or eight cabins. Maybe someone with group experience can reply. Bon Voyage.

Interesting. We've been invited to dine with the captain and other officers several times but never with the purser. Also only on formal nights. Did the purser buy the wine?

Archived