End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

This thread may be closed soon -- often threads are when they get nasty - what a shame folks can't be nice and respect differing views.

Anyhow, I, too, spoke with Celebrity today and was told they are getting inundated with calls and that this coupon thing is a one time deal due to too many Elites. She sounded like it will never happen again due to sheer call volume! Hope she is correct.

Hopefully as reported this is a one time event. And I am happy to hear that. We never line up early tho, but may ask our new friends about past cruising experiences.

So now that this crisis is past, let's go back to bashing those that do not adhere to the dress code and those nasty beasts, the chair hogs.

We did have the elite happy hour most nights of our recent 14-day Summit cruise, but we were disappointed with many of the other Captain's Club activities. The elite wine tasting was held while we were in port! We never experienced that before. Captain's Club receptions were held in the early afternoon instead of before dinner. The Captain's Club host was awful - he looked at us every day and asked to see our cards as if he had never seen us before.

The best elite benefit was breakfast in the Normandie.

We did have the elite happy hour most nights of our recent 14-day Summit cruise, but we were disappointed with many of the other Captain's Club activities. The elite wine tasting was held while we were in port! We never experienced that before. Captain's Club receptions were held in the early afternoon instead of before dinner. The Captain's Club host was awful - he looked at us every day and asked to see our cards as if he had never seen us before.

The best elite benefit was breakfast in the Normandie.

Our first (and only) wine tasting was moved from the MDR to the specialty restaurant with no notice. We went to the MDR and spoke with several people before being told of the change. When we got to the wine tasting, it was already started and we missed the first 2 wines while they got us set up.

Regardless of what the elite perks are, I think that they should be earned through loyalty to Celebrity and this would decrease the numbe of Elites. Being Diamond or D+ on RCCL gives that cruiser the perks that they have earned on RCCL and should not transfer to X. My elite status on X should not put me in the diamond lounge on RCCL which is a line that I generally chose not to sail on. I have little loyalty to RCCL and have not earned diamond level by sailing on RCCL. Eliminate the transferability of reward levels and the number of elites will decrease to a more manageable and comfortable level.

As far as a suite guests on their first or second or third Celebrity cruise, I would suggest that they be put into something very special like "The Admiral's Club" and be given a special nautical cap to wear and be allowed free drinks in the bar of their choice during Happy Hour. When they have accumulated enough cruise points (four or five suite cruises) then they become "Elite" and have the choice of Elite Lounge benefits or Admiral's Club cocktails, or both.

My point is that loyalty programs should be a reward for brand loyalty. In answer to another comment, I did not become elite through 10 cruises in an OV or inside cabin. May the elite lounge never be too crowded to have quiet conversations with other loyal X cruisers. Cheers, Bill

Our first (and only) wine tasting was moved from the MDR to the specialty restaurant with no notice. We went to the MDR and spoke with several people before being told of the change. When we got to the wine tasting, it was already started and we missed the first 2 wines while they got us set up.

The Captain's Club Elite free wine tasting is the same ole, same ole. If you've been to one, you've been to them all. I don't go to them as they are really a waste of time--you get sips of 4 wines with the same speal.

So you are going to take time out of a fun, relaxing vacation to "meet" with the head of guest relations to b---- over getting free drinks. Are you going to gather the troops in the theatre to protest as well and threaten to never sail on Celebrity again, only to book 2 more cruises while on board. Geez people life is tooooooo short!

We don't need this.

Life is also too short for this feeble and uncalled for attempt at a put down.

Bob :cool:

Regardless of what the elite perks are, I think that they should be earned through loyalty to Celebrity and this would decrease the numbe of Elites. Being Diamond or D+ on RCCL gives that cruiser the perks that they have earned on RCCL and should not transfer to X. My elite status on X should not put me in the diamond lounge on RCCL which is a line that I generally chose not to sail on. I have little loyalty to RCCL and have not earned diamond level by sailing on RCCL. Eliminate the transferability of reward levels and the number of elites will decrease to a more manageable and comfortable level.

As far as a suite guests on their first or second or third Celebrity cruise, I would suggest that they be put into something very special like "The Admiral's Club" and be given a special nautical cap to wear and be allowed free drinks in the bar of their choice during Happy Hour. When they have accumulated enough cruise points (four or five suite cruises) then they become "Elite" and have the choice of Elite Lounge benefits or Admiral's Club cocktails, or both.

My point is that loyalty programs should be a reward for brand loyalty. In answer to another comment, I did not become elite through 10 cruises in an OV or inside cabin. May the elite lounge never be too crowded to have quiet conversations with other loyal X cruisers. Cheers, Bill

A cap to wear:eek::eek:...you must be kidding. I hope you are kidding, otherwise (IMHO) your post is just a bit on the rude side.:(

BILL

I haven't read all of this thread as it is so long, but it seems to have gotten way off point (in all kinds of unfortunate directions it seems).

Besides the points being made of whether they should or should not change the program and how, the facts seem to be that on at least one recent cruise one or two coupons were being substituted for a party. My issue is that their website states that a party will be held. If a party is not being held, then they are not upholding their end of a contract. That is wrong. I don't care how many Elites are on that particular cruise. Hold the event in two venues if you need to!! A deal is a deal is a deal. It can change at any time, but if it is still being advertised as a benefit then they need to offer it as a benefit. One or two coupons is not a comparable value to two hours of cocktails - period. If that happens to me on our upcoming cruise I will not be happy. We consider the cost of that benefit when calculating whether we can afford a particular cruise. For the three of us, that benefit can be worth upwards of several hundred dollars or more depending if we attend all events. That's alot of unexpected money out of pocket if suddenly the party is no longer and one drink per day (or is it two?) takes its place!

If celebrity does not change the way you accrue tier points, in a few years everyone will be Elite. I hope they change to days sailed and add Elite plus. Otherwise every cruise will be a coupon cruise !

How do you know that? Everyone? Where are the stats?:confused:

I am sure Celebrity is capable of running their numbers which I don't have access to.... if you do love to see them... :rolleyes:

I love the Elite happy hour and want "X" to know how much I appreciate their loyalty program...

Got me to switch most of my cruises to them away from Princess where I am also Elite.

edit: Actually the loyalty program encourages me to stay with "X", their clean air policy got me to try them in the first place.

A cap to wear:eek::eek:...you must be kidding. I hope you are kidding, otherwise (IMHO) your post is just a bit on the rude side.:(

BILL

No intention to be rude to our sweet suite guests. Have X give them a special pin instead of an Admiral's Cap or perhaps a platinum coloured Seapass.

My simple point is that loyalty perks should be earned through brand loyalty, i.e. cruising, not purchased. An inexpensive suite costs little more than my concierge cabin. Captain's Club is, according to X, a rewards programme rather than something that you purchase.

Cheers, BILL

No intention to be rude to our sweet suite guests. Have X give them a special pin instead of an Admiral's Cap or perhaps a platinum coloured Seapass.

My simple point is that loyalty perks should be earned through brand loyalty, i.e. cruising, not purchased. An inexpensive suite costs little more than my concierge cabin. Captain's Club is, according to X, a rewards programme rather than something that you purchase.

Cheers, BILL

You really have an issue with suite guests don't you? Guess what, the cruise lines don't.

How do you know that? Everyone? Where are the stats?:confused:

I am sure Celebrity is capable of running their numbers which I don't have access to.... if you do love to see them... :rolleyes:

I love the Elite happy hour and want "X" to know how much I appreciate their loyalty program...

Got me to switch most of my cruises to them away from Princess where I am also Elite.

I agree, A Sixth, that if Celebrity is floating a trial balloon (and there have been several posts by people currently on other Celebrity ships that indicate that this might be the case), I would like them to know that I too appreciate the Elite happy hour, and that it's removal would make a difference to how I think about trying other cruiselines.

We are very happy with Celebrity, and we have sailed X almost exclusively in the last few years. From time to time we think about trying other cruise lines, but the Elite benefits (and not just the Happy Hour) do come into consideration, and we usually book Celebrity.

I never have more than one drink, and my DH rarely has more than one or two, so it's not about the free drinks. We just have met some great people in the Elite lounge, and a good part of the attraction is (a) the people are well-travelled, so have lots of interesting stories to share and (b) they like Celebrity (otherwise would not likely be Elite) and don't spend their time complaining about Celebrity.

We could live with the coupon situation, but I would prefer the continuation of the Elite lounge experience. It is likely that Celebrity is going to have to tweak the Elite programme and we will live with whatever it becomes, but I think it is fair for people to make their preferences known here.

The Captain's Club Elite free wine tasting is the same ole, same ole. If you've been to one, you've been to them all. I don't go to them as they are really a waste of time--you get sips of 4 wines with the same speal.

One year we did wine blending instead of wine tasting. We all had such fun and laughed so much.

In an attempt to determine the true extent of the "End of Elite Cocktail Party", it would be great if posters could compile the reports. Here is what (I think) has been reported so far:

1.a poster contacted Captains Club, who stated that it was a one time deal on Eclipse because of Elite overcrowding

2. Coupons are being used on the current Eclipse TA, starting with 2 per person, then upped to 3 per person on the next evening

3. a report, secondhand, that coupons are being used on the Silhouette in Europe

Anything else?

One year we did wine blending instead of wine tasting. We all had such fun and laughed so much.

Yes, that can be fun. I was talking about the pour, look, smell, swirl, taste. That's normally the Elite freebie.

I can't believe there are 13 pages about this! Last time I looked there were 3!

I'll give the opinion of a "new" Elite (first time last cruise, Alaska Sept. 2011).

We were on the M class, in 0ur aft, so to get to the Elite party was a hike (held in the big lounge way in front). We walked in, didn't know anyone, lots of large parties sitting about, we just sat by ourselves. Started talking to the nice family (2 seniors, one adult daughter) next to us. Drinks were fine, hors d'oeuvres were a combination of the same stuff you get in CC and some nicer stuff. It was fine.

We just didn't see the appeal. It seemed like MOST of you were already very cliquey based on past cruises??? I truly don't believe newcomers walked into that room and just went up to the large tables all pulled together and became part. The table next to us seemed like us...ok, here we are, what now?

In the past (before we became Elite), every night before dinner we would go to a different bar or lounge, mostly following the music we liked, to have a drink before dinner.

The fact that (hopefully) we can now do that with a free drink coupon is wonderful to me.

Seriously...none of you knew each other BEFORE the cruise? You all just met at the Elite lounge, newcomers all?? You don't think you are one bit cliquey and stand-offish to newcomers?

You really have an issue with suite guests don't you? Guess what, the cruise lines don't.

You choose to misunderstand, that is your problem. Some of my best friends book suites and enjoy their personal bar (as I do as well), their butler and lots of space. I love suites. But a first cruise on X does not make one a loyal Celebrity cruiser. Loyalty should be based upon loyalty.

What do you think of RCCL diamonds being automatically included into X's Elite perks? A major difference that I have observed between the brands and the loyalty lounges is that most diamond members grab a full glass of wine to take to dinner. (This is based upon only three RCCL cruises but I have never seen this on Celebrity).

Let's love the suite guests, it would be a shame to see such lovely spaces left vacant.

I can't believe there are 13 pages about this! Last time I looked there were 3!

I'll give the opinion of a "new" Elite (first time last cruise, Alaska Sept. 2011).

We were on the M class, in 0ur aft, so to get to the Elite party was a hike (held in the big lounge way in front). We walked in, didn't know anyone, lots of large parties sitting about, we just sat by ourselves. Started talking to the nice family (2 seniors, one adult daughter) next to us. Drinks were fine, hors d'oeuvres were a combination of the same stuff you get in CC and some nicer stuff. It was fine.

Seriously...none of you knew each other BEFORE the cruise? You all just met at the Elite lounge, newcomers all?? You don't think you are one bit cliquey and stand-offish to newcomers?

It's called Roll Call. We meet a lot of folks on line, on pre-cruise dinners/get togethers, and sailaways. There's a sort of a bonding going on before the cruise where you get to know folks ahead of time and end up sharing cocktails together.

As far as the hors d'oeuvres, I personally like the canapes, but on many of the cruises I've been on, they've made a variety of hot treats done up in the specialty restaurants.

Give it another try -- you might change your mind. :)

Ok...roll calls...I've done those before we were Elite.

Some of you give the impression on this thread that when you met at the Elite Party, you were all perfect strangers, meeting for the first time, bonding because of a love of X...

A roll call group I can totally understand...but I've been to roll call groups before we were Elite that happened at ANY pre-arranged venue around the ship.

I'll say again...if it is a Roll Call group, that all happen to be Elite, that all happen to meet up at the Elite party...that is very cliqueish and non-inclusive to those who are not part of that happening.

Dear Celebrity Elite guests,

Thanks for your passionate feedback. The change described to the Captain's Club Lounge is not a permanent one rather an alternative to best deliver the Celebrity experience when we have unusually high Elite member counts. With each transatlantic season we monitor feedback on how to best service your needs.

This transatlantic season has been extraordinarily popular with our Elite members. In order to ensure we continue to deliver a high quality of service on transatlantic sailings with extremely high counts of Elites members, we will be offering you the choice to enjoy your evening cocktail around various bars and lounges across the ship. We have given you this option on select evenings in the past and the feedback we heard was great.

The Celebrity Eclipse is the first ship this transatlantic season to offer guests this flexibility for the entire cruise and Elites are taking this opportunity to either discover the unique ambiance of different locations or settling into a favorite bar. Since the hours continue to be the same as the Captain's Club Lounge, our members are sure to find fellow Elites out enjoying their social hour at this time. Just as we move the Captain's Club Lounge to Sky Lounge when we have more members than we can properly service in Michael's Club, on rare occasions such as this we have implemented this alternative when Sky Lounge cannot meet our high service standards.

Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope you enjoy exploring all the great venue options onboard if this choice is made available on your sailing.

Celebrity Loyalty Team

Archived