End of Elite cocktail party?

d5480

Geeeez, give us a break -- did you read the thread as it only happens when there are an extraordinary number of Elites on board? Maybe you should just move on and sail with HAL. :rolleyes:

+1

I hope Equinox has a whining area for all the malcontents so they don't interfere with my enjoyment.

As to the elite drink coupons BOOO on Celebrity!!! A big part of being Elite is the special attention we receive at these events. Please do not take that away and just give a coupon!!! I hope you are reading this. One of the main reasons for returning to Celebrity is the special attention we get once we become Elite. If you take that away we might as well sail on any other line. I just made a booking on the Century for next Dec. but...... I can just as easily go on HAL. I have also converted a lot of friend to Celebrity because of the wonderful perks but if Celebrity takes them away we may all move on.

I don't recall any special attention at the elite cocktail hour, other than having someone give me free drinks and the occasional hors doevers. No one has come over to me and asked for my signature because I am elite. No hugs from the captain's club hostess or the captain. No one lets me cut in front of them in the buffet line because I'm elite. The sommelier doesn't rush over to me to take my wine order because I'm elite. What have I been missing?

I don't recall any special attention at the elite cocktail hour, other than having someone give me free drinks and the occasional hors doevers. No one has come over to me and asked for my signature because I am elite. No hugs from the captain's club hostess or the captain. No one lets me cut in front of them in the buffet line because I'm elite. The sommelier doesn't rush over to me to take my wine order because I'm elite. What have I been missing?

They are probably talking about the officers. Many times there are ship officers in the elite lounge chatting with members. I have met quite a few this way and I will miss that. They are very interesting to chat with and can be quite funny and entertaining. We were invited to the Captain's table by an officer we met in the lounge. Either way I am thankful for the perks I receive.

I have always enjoyed the attention of the Captain's Club hostess/host. They are available to do things for you like book future cruises or print your boarding pass for your return flight.

On one cruise we mentioned that we had thought of renting a car at one port, but found that they were too expensive. The hostess told us that she could have rented the car for us at a cheaper place and had the rental car company meet us at the pier.

The hostess/host gives you your priority tender tickets.

The hostesses/hosts work as a sort of concierge. They have always been meticulous in giving each guest a cheerful greeting, inquiring about our day and our cruise experience. Though I'm sure that our cruises would be just as good without the hostess/host, they are very helpful.

Even if the drink coupon thing is in place and there is no "event", the hostess/host has a desk and they can help you there.

You mean you didn't read the 669 post to this thread? :eek:

Bottom line, most cruises with a normal amount of Elites -- nothing changes. Cruises with an extraordinary amount of Elites such as TA's, they can't accommodate everyone in the Sky Lounge so they are giving each Elite 3 coupons to use at most venues/bars on board between the hours of 5-7 (same as the Elite function).

Bottom line -- don't worry about it and go with the flow.

In a nutshell, the bottom line is that most likely your cruise will have the regular daily Elite get together in a lounge.

But if they should have an excessively high number of Elites on board, to avoid overcrowding they may give you vouchers for drinks at bars instead.

TY!!

This is what I was hoping it would be.

They are probably talking about the officers. Many times there are ship officers in the elite lounge chatting with members. I have met quite a few this way and I will miss that. They are very interesting to chat with and can be quite funny and entertaining. We were invited to the Captain's table by an officer we met in the lounge. Either way I am thankful for the perks I receive.

Those same officers were walking around on the eclipse TA...the coupons didn't change that.

I agree that the captain's club host/hostess can be very helpful...but the coupons didn't change that either.

I'm just having a problem with those that find that having coupons will ruin their cruise and captain's club elite experience.....I'm trying to inject a bit of sanity into this thread :)

Yeah, even if this would be something that I would lament the loss of, I wouldn't let it ruin the cruise. I may be sad that I lost a benefit (or perceived benefit), but there's tons more to the cruise than a few free drinks. That doesn't mean I wouldn't still want them :D

I don't think the coupons would ruin my cruise whatsoever. At first I was kind of against the idea, but after a few days to think about it I can see benefits to either. Being able to bring wine to dinner, for example, would save us from having to buy it there. I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble fo carrying it in, but it would be nice to be able to. We can get snacks (appetizers) anywhere at any time and there are always people around to strike up friendships.

I kind of like the party atmosphere though so I'd miss that, but I'm kind of torn between which method would be better.

Now if they took away the benefit altogther and relegated it to just those who they made Elite Pluses... I would miss it a lot... but probably would still not cancel any booked cruises over it. It would be one less "feature" to consider when comparing future cruises though. The 3 drink coupons a day do save a lot of $$$ on a 11-12 day cruise so the benefit does add something to the overall decision (say drinks $4 *3 *2 * 10 = $240 is something to consider).

I think if they can fix the problem with coupons and leave the overall program alone... then so much the better.

Tom

Those same officers were walking around on the eclipse TA...the coupons didn't change that.

I agree that the captain's club host/hostess can be very helpful...but the coupons didn't change that either.

I'm just having a problem with those that find that having coupons will ruin their cruise and captain's club elite experience.....I'm trying to inject a bit of sanity into this thread :)

Yeah, even if this would be something that I would lament the loss of, I wouldn't let it ruin the cruise. I may be sad that I lost a benefit (or perceived benefit), but there's tons more to the cruise than a few free drinks. That doesn't mean I wouldn't still want them :D

I don't think the coupons would ruin my cruise whatsoever. At first I was kind of against the idea, but after a few days to think about it I can see benefits to either. Being able to bring wine to dinner, for example, would save us from having to buy it there. I'm not sure I'd go to the trouble fo carrying it in, but it would be nice to be able to. We can get snacks (appetizers) anywhere at any time and there are always people around to strike up friendships.

I kind of like the party atmosphere though so I'd miss that, but I'm kind of torn between which method would be better.

Now if they took away the benefit altogther and relegated it to just those who they made Elite Pluses... I would miss it a lot... but probably would still not cancel any booked cruises over it. It would be one less "feature" to consider when comparing future cruises though. The 3 drink coupons a day do save a lot of $$$ on a 11-12 day cruise so the benefit does add something to the overall decision (say drinks $4 *3 *2 * 10 = $240 is something to consider).

I think if they can fix the problem with coupons and leave the overall program alone... then so much the better.

Tom

Three coupons would be more than we'd need as we have one drink each before dinner. This is a money saver for us and, therefore, a much appreciated perk.

Personally, I think this is a great way for Celebrity to handle this. I am doing a transatlantic on RCI Brilliance next summer and I know there will be tons of D+ on that ship. Even though there will be a Diamond Lounge on the ship, I, just a lowly Diamond, will be relegated to cheap wine and trail mix at the "Diamond Event" that will probably be reinstated because of the space requirements. I'd love for RCI to give out coupons.

Even though there will be a Diamond Lounge on the ship, I, just a lowly Diamond, will be relegated to cheap wine and trail mix at the "Diamond Event" that will probably be reinstated because of the space requirements. I'd love for RCI to give out coupons.

I believe there will be a Diamond Lounge added at the next dry dock. As a Diamond member you will have full access to it, including cocktails.

we are sailing 12/15 and everything is sold out except inside and oceanview, so i expect there will be a lot of elites, so probally vouchers. i don't like it, but it is not my decision.

Just because the ship is full means nothing...all ships are full or almost full. Unless you are on a transatlantic, you won't have that many elites and it will be business as usual.

The transatlantics have a high number of elites because they are coming or leaving the us for their winter....they have homes in the us. They have been using ta's for years and they are all elites.

It's amazing to me to see this thread continue, as we all know that the Elite Happy Hour will not end, but when there are so many Elites, another option is put into play.........and reading the reaction, which I'm sure that Celebrity is doing as well, thank goodness there is a very good man at the helm of Celebrity today, that can take all of this in, with a grain of salt, and keep so many happy, as he charts his course for even a better cruise.

Because of Micheals command at the helm, we will once again be cruising more often on X. He will be bringing out the best in X, as his footing takes hold.;)

Rick

• 3 weeks later...
I am on the Eclipse transatlantic that began yesterday. On boarding, celebrity informed all Elite there would be no Elite *cocktail party. A voucher for one drink per day at limited bars,limited times and limited types of drinks *and good only for the *day handed out was the substitution for the party. *I believe that in the long run Celebrity can do anything it wants . But in the short run after paying my money and flying 5000 miles I expect them to do what they promised. *Their problems with logistics in providing the party is not a valid excuse. *Everyone that enjoys the Elite cocktail party needs to let Celebrity know immediately that canceling the party after the final payment date is unacceptable. RCL gave their passengers several months notice of changes in their program. Celebrity should do likewise.*

Just an interjection here on the subject of the Elite cocktail party. This was our first cruise as elite and we enjoyed the party however our next cruise will be traveling with dear friends who are not elite. I was not looking forward to A. paying for drinks in other venues or B. not having our afternoon cocktails with our good friends. So I rather like the idea of the drink coupons that can be used at different venues around the ship. On the second part of our B2B we had this option and found the drinks to be exactly the same as had been offered at the Captains club. But of course they didn't offer the wonderful Hors d oeuvres that were served in the Captains Club. But win some lose some. All in all we were quite happy with the set up.

Just an interjection here on the subject of the Elite cocktail party. This was our first cruise as elite and we enjoyed the party however our next cruise will be traveling with dear friends who are not elite. I was not looking forward to A. paying for drinks in other venues or B. not having our afternoon cocktails with our good friends. So I rather like the idea of the drink coupons that can be used at different venues around the ship. On the second part of our B2B we had this option and found the drinks to be exactly the same as had been offered at the Captains club. But of course they didn't offer the wonderful Hors d oeuvres that were served in the Captains Club. But win some lose some. All in all we were quite happy with the set up.

Just off Equinox TA today. Elite happy hour is still alive and well in the AM in the Tuscan Grill, and Sky Lounge in the afternoon (5-7). Didn't seem too crowded with the number of Elites on board.

Glad they didn't use the voucher/coupon system. My brother and his wife, first time cruisers on this TA, did just fine without us during the 5-7 Elite Happy Hour. They found plenty to do on the ship to occupy their time. We met back up with them at dinner or the Martini Bar before dinner -- 2nd Seating.

If one person in a cabin is Elite, are they allowed to take their cabinmate to the Cocktail hour?

If so, one solution for the above poster traveling with close friends or relatives might be to reserve the cabins with one elite and one none elite in each cabin. The correct spouse can be on the same account. Extra door only keys can be obtained on board. Nobody will do bed checks.

Our first Elite cruise will be in June on Reflection...we will also be Aqua Class. I wonder how/where the cocktail event will be held and if we get the coupons, are they 3 per person? If so, that's pretty cool!

It all depends on how many Elites will be on board. On a normal cruise, we understand that the 5-7pm cocktails will be in the Sky Lounge. No coupons would be involved since everyone will be together. If there are too many Elites on board to fit into one room, they may use the coupon system (3 per Elite per day). On our TA from Barcelona, these coupons were abused as we saw many people being treated to cocktails by Elites who had "extra" tickets. No one was required to show their sea pass card to prove they were Elite.

Archived