FYI about the storm, hotels, rental cars, etc.

greatam

Almost every place I have reservations this coming week has bent over backwards to accommodate.

I planned on leaving AZ for NYC (EWR actually) on a customer paid trip Wednesday. My customer booked the flights. I booked the hotels and rental car. My customer is going with me.

United changed our plane reservations with absolutely NO problems. Even changed the reservation twice because when my customer tried to do it, United had us leaving at noon on Tuesday, which wastes the entire day when you have to drive from NYC to EWR, return the rental, make it to the airport and get checked in. No time to even see one customer.

I had already had a major problem with Hotwire because the hotel I booked (Westin Hoboken) had NO two bed rooms available, even though I booked for 4 people. They FINALLY agreed to refund the money IMMEDIATELY after many phone calls and a call between a Hotwire supervisor and the Westin hotel manager.

So I called the W directly even though I rebooked through Quikbook. NO problem changing the dates. Same price, same high floor executive level room. AND I get free breakfast (nice touch) which was offered.

Then the rental car. Again, Hotwire. So I called-they WOULD refund the reservation. But again, told me it would be any where from a few days to two months before I saw the money back in my business credit account. That just is NOT satisfactory. They keep blaming it on the bank for the long credit hold period but I just have a sneaking suspicion that THEY keep the money until the VERY last minute before people start threatening to sue, call the BBB or write letters to a travel ombudsman.

So after a couple of choice comments by me, they suggested I call Hertz EWR direct. I have paid for 5 days, full size car and only $175.86 total which I thought was a pretty darn good price. I can't even hire a car service to get me to and from my office in the Bronx to get one of the company vehicles for much less than that. Plus, it will be pot luck what is available-crapped out old pickups, a relatively new clean pickup or one of the two cars my admins use. Since this trip is paid for by my customer for the most part, I thought a clean and shiny rental car would be more appropriate.

Hertz, EWR told me they hold the Hotwire cars for at least 24 hours, sometimes even 48. So I asked about extending the contract for a day. She told me no problem-if I pick it up on Thursday instead of Wednesday and return it on Tuesday, I will still have only had the car for 5 days. And I wouldn't get charged extra.

So no hassling with Hotwire over a refund, booking another car and WAITING for money to flow back into the company account.

Just want to let everyone know that if they have hotels, air or rental cars booked this week in NJ/NYC, everyone is bending over backwards to make your vacation pleasant. Just get on the phone and call the SUPPLIER directly, even if you booked through Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, etc. etc. You should get pretty good results.

Enjoy.

Archived