why norwegian free style

billieholiday

There is no need for a reservation at the two Main Dining Rooms. It is open seating in the same manner as most restaurants. Show up, get in the line, and follow the hostess to a table. If you dine early or late there shouldn't be much of a wait. I avoid getting in line when the dining rooms open, there tends to be a line which starts forming a half hour before the rooms open. I also avoid dining just after the first show to avoid that rush. I wait a half hour or so and the line or rush evaporates. The Main Dining Rooms have no charge.

However, if you wish to dine at a speciality restaurant it is wise to get a reservation. You can either call the reservations desk, or stride by during the day. I tend to do so either after breakfast or before lunch. The speciality restaurants book times for a few tables 15 minutes apart not to overwork their small kitchens. There is an added charge to dine at a speciality restaurant.

While this may be confusing for those use to traditional dining, the freestyle daily newspaper delivered to all of the cabins every night will set you in the right direction, when the dining rooms and restaurants open and close, which are charge and not, etc.

The lido deck buffet has no charge. The same applies to any lido deck bbq setup by the pool too.

how works free style dinner on board of a n.c.l. i am a carnival man and switch this cruise too n.c.l. the spirit from barcelona too canary islands.

must we make every night a reservation and pay extra for a dinner and every one starts on an other time

It depends on how large your party is as to whether you should make reservations for the MDRs. If you eat there, they have no extra charge. Neither do the buffet and Blue Lagoon. But yes, everyone eats when they want - which is what freestyle is about.

Go with an open mind and you may like it!

how works free style dinner on board of a n.c.l. i am a carnival man and switch this cruise too n.c.l. the spirit from barcelona too canary islands.

must we make every night a reservation and pay extra for a dinner and every one starts on an other time

Hello Billieholiday

We booked a cruise on the Spirit to the Canary Islands too. When we first start cruising in 2010, we wanna go with a cruise company that suits us the best. We are no suit/tie and dress people when on vacation and don't like fixed seating. NCL was the most logic choise for us and we were so right! It is like being on vacation on a small village; go eat when your hungry, wear what you want and ask and get a table for two. We like the specialty restaurants very much(for an extra fee) sometimes we made reservations, but our last cruise was 17 day's and there was allways a table free. And for the MDR, we never made reservations, and only once we got a pager, I found that a very good system.

Last cruise we were in a suite, and people on CC "warned" us that we will be spoiled for live. And yes it's tru; we booked 2 new cruises, both in suites. We love NCL !

So welcome aboard and since your from the Netherlands too I see; Welkom aan boord en een hele goeie reis toegewenst !

There will be 2 main dining rooms which are no charge - just go get in line when you are ready to eat.

Was on the Spirit for the last two weeks.

I can confirm the longest we ever waited for a table was 15 mins and they where so apologetic about the wait that they bought sparkling wine out to all those waiting to be seated.

The food in the MDR was so good that we only once choose to go for a speciality in the 12 nights on board and that was to go to the Tepenyaki, which I would advise you have a go at as the show is amasing and the food very good indeed.

We where so impressed with the Spirit that we are looking to book again very soon.

Obviously those of us here think you'll love it! We've cruised several lines and after you are used to NCL's eating where and when you want with who you want, going back will be hard! We took a RCCL cruise in May as it went where we wanted to go when we wanted to go. Dining was absolutely miserable as we were at the mercy of tablemates and service is geared to the slowest and pickiest. You can do your own thing on NCL and don't have to worry about anyone but your own party.

We did that itinerary on the Jade last year and loved it. Have a great time!

Cruised NCL free style ONCE...Every night at every restaurant were handed an Applebees buzzer and sat waiting for 15 minutes to meet a new indifferent wsit staff each time..

20 voyages later no NCL and no FSD for me..thank you

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

So, you've done 20 sailings since trying NCL?

Firstly, you were obviously trying to get in to a restaurant at the busiest times - and are disappointed you couldn't eat straight away? Riiiiiight!

Second, can you say Troll?

Firstly, you were obviously trying to get in to a restaurant at the busiest times - and are disappointed you couldn't eat straight away? Riiiiiight!

Sorry if my opinion is different than yours...

Enjoy waiting around with your buzzer

I'll enjoy better cruise lines than NCL...i.e. just about any other

Cruised NCL free style ONCE...Every night at every restaurant were handed an Applebees buzzer and sat waiting for 15 minutes to meet a new indifferent wsit staff each time..

20 voyages later no NCL and no FSD for me..thank you

In our 3 cruises with NCL, we were handed a pager once. We walked to the bar close by and were summoned well before the stated time frame..barely had time to take a sip. We took our drinks with us. Usually your drink is comped.

I will gladly take a pager if it allows me the privilege of eating when and where and with whom I choose.

As far as the staff is concerned, IMO NCLs is the best out there, but this is the real world and you can and will encounter the occasional emloyee who doesn't meet your standards, just as you do at home. I sometimes suffer a little culture shock when I get off the ship and get back to the general lack of service environment we live in every day.

The only reason you would want to even consider reservations would be a large group and even then, we have gone to the dining room, had a short wait and there were 11 of us, on two different nights.

As for paying for meals, I am not sure where you got that idea, but I know rumors travel. There are 2 MDRs like on most ships, you can choose to eat in either of them and you will not have to pay. Of course there is also Blue Lagoon which is great comfort food, plus the buffet and usually an outdoor grill. If you choose to eat in a specialty dining room you will pay extra. It will be anywhere from about $15 to $25 depending on the venue you choose.

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion. We don't all have to agree with each other.

I have never had a pager on an NCL ship. I feel a bit cheated that this experience has never been afforded me. What I don't do is ever eat the moment the dining room opens when it can be very busy I gather. We rarely eat before 7-30 to 8.30PM and have always walked right to the desk and been seated immediately. No wait....once I had to wait while the hostess dealt with a couple who arrived right in front of us. So we waited maybe as long as 1 minute.

There are indeed many cruiselines out there with itineraries and prices to suit all pockets as well as dining to suit all types of people.

What I like about NCL dining arangements is the freedom of choice. I like to make my own choices and decisions.

We like to eat when we are wanting to eat not when someone says we will eat. Fixed seating is out for us. But many lines now offer anytime dining so that hasn't narrowed my choices down greatly.

We like to eat with whom we choose to eat. If we make friends on board we may choose to dine with them. Since we already know them we can either accept or decline to meet up for a meal. Some cruiselines choose for me with whom I shall share my mealtimes. That narrows my choices a little.

Some cruiselines insist that on at least one night we either wear suit and tie/dressy clothes or be relegated to the buffet. That narrows it down a lot. I may chose to eat in the buffet but do not like being told I can only eat in the buffet because my husband hasn't brought a suit and tie and my best slacks and top aren't fancy enough.

So you see, for me and the way I chose to vacation,NCL has a very suitable product that the other lines cannot match and for you it seems that the opposite is true. Each to their own I say. Shame we are unlikely to ever meet it may have been fun.

I think the longest we waited for any restaurant on NCL was 5 minutes. Probably the best MDR food out of all the cruise lines we've been on (see below). Service was attentive, friendly and prompt.

They always asked us if we wanted to be seated at a two place table, or if we wanted to sit with others. Some days, we wanted to sit with others, other times we wanted to just sit with each other. They always accommodated.

We also did Tepenyani and Cagneys, two great pay restaurants. Both were really good. Both accommodated us promptly.

But, if you only decided to use the "free" restaurants on board, you won't be disappointed.

NCL does Freestyle better than any other cruise line. We love it.

I have been on NCL 5 times and have never had to wait with a buzzer.

You know what? You're right. You ARE entitled to your opinion.

However, thread-crapping and trolling are NOT acceptable!

If you haven't been on NCL for 20 sailings and have no intention of doing so in the future, why are you even bothering to read the posts here, let alone post negatively if trolling is not your intent?

The few times DH and I got buzzers we also got 2-1 drinks - we "waited around" in the nearest bar, listening to music, long enough to get our drinks (about 10 minutes) then buzzer went off - so I really do enjoy waiting around with my buzzer:) I am sure those "better" cruise lines will enjoy your company....

I never had to use a buzzer either. But I do shake my head when I see the line forming a half hour or more before the dining room opens. I have also heard on a few cruises some folks complaining they won't open the dining room early, saying "Don't they see us out here?" This a half hour before they open, as if the wait staff and hostesses arrive to work that early. :eek:

I second that. We are platinum and NEVER have had a wait. We do try to go to dinner on the early side and if you get there before the room reaches capacity, you have NO wait. One time we saw a line and chose another venue for dining. The wait was a concern before our first NCL cruise. It turned out to be a non-issue.

You know what? You're right. You ARE entitled to your opinion.

However, thread-crapping and trolling are NOT acceptable!

If you haven't been on NCL for 20 sailings and have no intention of doing so in the future, why are you even bothering to read the posts here, let alone post negatively if trolling is not your intent?

Ah, be nice to them. Those 20 cruises were on the Staten Island ferry.

Let's see, 38 nights cruising on NCL, but 7 were on Norway. So, let's make that 31. I never was given a buzzer. But I sure have had a million of them dining out at home in Dallas. If I was given a buzzer on NCL no big deal! I would chalk it up to choosing a poplular time and just wait my turn. Make a few friends. Beats same boring tablemates and dancing waiters.

IMHO, if someone is so insufferable as to react with hostility about having to wait with a beeper I am relieved to see they've flown the coop to their "better line" and left NCL to me and the other great friends I have made on NCL.

thank you all for the good respons.

we like the choises on cc its beter then rcl so where can i find menu's or are there no choises in the restaurant's.

WHERE CAN I FIND MELTED CHOCOLAT AS DESERT THATS MY FAVORIT.

we live in the netherlands and hope that the storm is going down, we think of you all and hope that it is gonne be okay with every one in th us.

3 cruises on NCL and got a buzzer one time. We don't go to dinner during "peak" periods so crowding was never an issue. Go figure. Kind of like waiting 45 minutes on a Friday night at your local steak house. ;)

Archived