Tabyana Beach Break

holdon216

We just went there earlier this month and we booked it through Carnival. It was about a 30 minute ride by van/bus and they were running back and forth to the dock every 30 minutes or so. We didn't try the food there. They had burgers and chicken strips you could buy. Lemonade and tea was included in the price of your Beach Break Excursion, so you could just walk up and get drinks when you want. There's a restaurant or 2 up the beach a little ways, within walking distance if you'd prefer to eat there.

Out of our 4 excursions, the Tabyana Beach break was BY FAR our favorite. The beach was beautiful, sand was soft, the water was very clear and the snorkeling there is BEAUTIFUL! They have security watching your beach chairs and belongings (also have lockers if you prefer) and there are people in kayaks out in the water keeping an eye on snorkelers and feeding the fish. The coral reef isn't very far out and you can see a lot of exotic fish and coral and stuff by simply swimming out to snorkel. We snorkeled for hours.

Here is a link to a video I made of our Tabyana Beach Break. I also used and underwater digital camera to capture some video and images of the beautiful snorkeling there.

There are quite a few restaurants to eat at down the beach from Tabyana. Right next door is the Infinity Bay resort. Private condo complex BUT they will let you on the property if you want to eat at the Palapa Restaurant right on the beach. The food is very very good there. And the drinks are great too. We stayed there a week in July.

A bit further down is a pizza place, then Bananarama and more as you go. At the very tip (the whole beach is about a mile long) is Bite on the Beach - also good food. So if you are in the mood for a nice walk - you could try that.

Also, right in front of Infinity Bay is the pier where you can catch a water taxi for $3.00 per person. 8-10 minute ride and you will be in West End Village. Definitely worth a visit. Small village with shops, bars, restaurants, art galleries and more.

If you are looking for Bite on the Beach is it past the sand of West Bay Beach..one need walk past Foster's along the boardwalk over the iron shore a bit before seeing the Bite on the beach sign.

The eels are kinds good.. the food is hit and miss.

Enjoy your visit.

We have also done this excursion thru carnival a couple of times and loved it. The food included in the cost of the excursion at the time and it was good, better places on the beach. We also go a beautiful large hammock made by a little old man for $20.00. We love this excursion, doing it again in Dec.

• 5 weeks later...

When you do this as an excursion through Carnival, do they pretty much just provide transportation to and from and access to the Tabyana facilities and let you do what you want? Or do they have people watching over you like a bunch of elementary school students on a field trip, holding you hostage for "group activities" etc?

We have spent time on Roatan and know our way around and have some favorite spots. We like to snorkel around the rocks in the Tabyana area of the beach, and having access to showers, restrooms, lockers etc. for about the price of transportation sounds like a good deal. I just don't want some Carnival excursion guys in kayaks herding us around while we snorkel or trying to supervise our every move. When we first started cruising we did a few Carnival excursions, and we really hated the excessive supervision and rigid structure. Now we either do things on our own or book independent excursions.

Someone please reassure me... On the Tabyana Beachbreak Excursion will we be free to do whatever we want and go wherever we want until it is time to find the bus for the ride back to port. Will they let us snorkel unsupervised, and then maybe walk over to Celeste's for lunch? Maybe take a water taxi over to West End Village for awhile?

Thanks!

Yes you have the day to yourself. :) You are paying for transportation to and from and the use of the facilities on a nice stretch of the one mile long beach area .

That's why many will just cab it to the beach and rent a chair somewhere for the day. Often a cheaper option. Or Bananarama offers a $30 plan with chair and transp. The beach is public. So you can use the waters and sand anywhere...other than the resorts' and Tabayana's private land.

Thanks eandj! If that is the case then Tabyana will suit our needs just fine as we wanted to do most of our snorkeling right out in front of there around the rock this trip.

Bananarama is indeed a little cheaper for the same thing, but we kind of like being away from the party crowd, and a few $ one way or another isn't going to alter our lives. :) Tabyana will make a nice base camp for our needs. I just didn't want to get locked into a bunch of structured cruise excursion activities.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Try to be there early so you can get the chairs you want and/or pull them out of the rows and rows that are right on top of each other on crowded cruise days. :rolleyes: I couldn't believe all the chairs and people lined up last time we were on West Bay. But that's me..I hate being right on top of another person when sitting in the sun. I need my space.:D

• 5 weeks later...
try to be there early so you can get the chairs you want and/or pull them out of the rows and rows that are right on top of each other on crowded cruise days. :rolleyes: I couldn't believe all the chairs and people lined up last time we were on west bay. But that's me..i hate being right on top of another person when sitting in the sun. I need my space.:d

how much is it to use carnival we will be on dream in april. Or can we just get a taxie to take us. And how often do taxi run. Is snorkeling included with carnivals price

It was $45 pp on Magic. That seemed like a decent deal on transportation to and from, nice clean restrooms to use, showers to get off the salt, and overall pleasant uncrowded facilities to use. There were plenty of vacant chairs, but we didn't go to the beach to sit in a chair. We snorkeled and took a water taxi to our favorite places in West End Village, had lunch, had a massage, then came back to Tabyana and snorkeled some more until it was time to clean up and go back to the ship.

The beaches are all public, so there is no need to pay anyone to snorkel. Just put on your gear and step into the water. There is gear for rent up and down the beach, and I think at Tabyana if you do not have it. Ask and they will suggest some good areas to snorkel.

If you want a guided snorkel tour so you can play follow the leader with some guy with a red flag you would have to pay extra for that. (I hate guided snorkel tours!)

so for four people, would it be cheaper to just take a taxi and rent chairs on the beach. if it costs $45 x 4 equals 180, it sounds like allot for ride to beach and chairs.

Anyone know what the taxi and chairs costs?

Taxi from Coxen hole should run about $25.00 one way. For the taxi NOT per person. Chairs can be had for $5.00 each for a couple of hours at Bananarama. Lots of places have local beers for $2.00 and food runs the whole range of prices depending on what you get...... from pizza or burgers to lobster dinners.

We just returned from our 3rd visit (one week stay at Infinity Bay) and can't wait to get back !

tango, where are you coming from? Coxen Hole or Mahagony Bay? Coxen hole is closer to West Bay Beach.

From Coxen Hole I'd guess...and this is pretty bold as cab fares have varied a ton for cruisers...you'll pay $60-$65 round trip to the beach for four of you. We paid about $35 for two of us round trip when we cabbed last year from Coxen Hole. Someone here will correct me if they think I'm way off.:D However I think I read here that the cabs might be "Flat rate" now.:confused:

Then chair rental is usally 5-10$ each. Depends on some places, their location on the beach, amenities and adding a rum drink and of course if they can get more during peak times, they will. Snorkel equip is $10-15.

Food is pretty reasonable we thought at most beachside spots.

You might look at Victor Bodden tours and book a driver for the day. With 4 of you it might be your best deal and you'll be able to see other things if you'd like too.

There are 6 of us for Presidents Week, not sure what to do

Taxi to the beach ?

Suggestions ??

Is Roaton safe ?

This is my first time.

I was thinking about this excursion with NCL but I would prefer to do it on my own if safe

We are looking to hang with a chair and umbrella walk the beach drink buckets of beer and have a great day -- oh yes and some shopping and hair braiding too!!

Since large taxis are few and far between in Roatan - getting one to fit 6 ppl will be almost impossible. You would need 2 taxis if you go that route.

You could arrange for a private tour (Bodden or others) and in the process you have the option of doing some island sightseeing or other activities.

Then there is always the "beach break" type packages you can book. Such as Tabyana or others. Usually includes transportation (via van) a beach lounger, sometimes a locker, a drink (rum punch is popular) and other items.....depends on the resort/location.

As far as Roatan being safe - use common sense and you will be fine. Do not leave items on the beach, don't go into areas you think it would be better not to and don't wear any jewelry and flash cash etc.... its not that kind of place anyway.

We just returned from our 3rd visit - 1 cruise stop and 2 - 1 week stays on West bay beach..... Roatan is amazing.

For what you are looking for - head to West Bay beach...find a good spot and plop down. Lots of restaurants/bars, hair braiders walk the beach, beautiful water, great snorkeling/diving. Parasailing, stand up paddle boards and more can be arranged here too. Also - take a water taxi to West End village for $3.00 per person (about an 8-10 minute boat ride) and shop there. Tons of cute shops, galleries etc. There is one that is my favorite - Evelyns. Lots of handicraft items such as embroidered purses/table runners and more. Wood items as bowls, vases and more. Also jewelry, pares, hammocks etc etc.

Have fun !

There are 6 of us for Presidents Week, not sure what to do

Taxi to the beach ?

Suggestions ??

Is Roaton safe ?

This is my first time.

I was thinking about this excursion with NCL but I would prefer to do it on my own if safe

We are looking to hang with a chair and umbrella walk the beach drink buckets of beer and have a great day -- oh yes and some shopping and hair braiding too!!

If you are not going to be snorkeling, all you seek is sun, sand and beer.. West End would be closer... many people enjoy Sundowners.

If snorkeling is the goal you are far better off a Tabyana being the reef is steps from your lounger.

For my education, why would you rather on on your own.

I agree with Texan, Roatan is safe if you use common sense.

Archived