Gem delayed, itinerary change??

lidodeckfan

I would be really unhappy about this change. I think that it should be a choice, your money back or a shortened cruise with partial refund. Bermuda in November, nope not fair. If November was a good time for Bermuda cruises then there would be scheduled November cruises. This deal stinks to me and I would do whatever I could to get my insurance to cover me instead of going on that cruise.

A Princess ship and the Queen Mary left from the Brooklyn port last week. People parking their car at the port were told there could be flooding due to Sandy and suggested they find parking elsewhere.

Well, let me see, DH and I flew into NYC from the midwest on Saturday, 10/27 for the sailing on Monday, 10/29. We have been in the overpriced NYC hotel since then. We survived the hurricane without loosing power. We have walked the city streets until we almost know where we are going now.

Disappointed, yes we are, our 9 day cruise to four warm weather ports, two of which we have never been to and the other two are our favorites is now, maybe, going to be a 5 day to a mild (I hope) weather port that was never on my bucket list.

ON the other hand, I still have my DH, children and grandchildren and we are all healthy. My home and business are still in one piece and it looks like NCL is going to do their best to help us salvage what we can of our vacation. They really don't have to do anything, if you read the fine print.

Having been on many cruises and three other cruise lines in addition to NCL and hearing the horror stories of other bad situations on other lines, I am feeling pretty good about what they are offering.

I would sail with you, any day.

Stephen

Mereswan and Rymoma. Would cruise with either of you.

How one handles adversity is a true mark of their character. Thank you both for your great attitudes.

BTW my co workers young daughter is in NYC and she is a musician. She only gets paid when she works. And she is one of the lucky ones. In a dry apartment with power.

I have to say this thread is the most perfect display of man's inhumanity to man. I feel terrible for Cruisin and all the others whose vacations long fought for and well deserved are destroyed. I feel horrible for the families whose homes and lives have been forever changed because of the storm, but the name calling and disrespect on both sides of this is despicable. Cruisin's inability to empathize with the people from NY and NJ who are suffering DO NOT make him a troll. It also doesn't give everyone here the right to call him a troll. The name calling and disrespect is horrible. Cruisin is disappointed, not selfish. Taking stabs at his upbringing and his bitterness, does not make any of you any better than what you are saying he is. Because both sides believe they are right doesn't make you right and it doesn't give you the right to personally attack someone. I came back to this forum hoping somebody on either side would realize how ridiculous you all sound.

There's a very real possibility that my cruise will also be affected by this. If it is, that's going to suck...my life won't come to an end because of it, I will be frustrated, I will be disappointed, I will be sad, I may even be angry...however, I will still have to go to work, I will still have a family who loves me and I will still plan another vacation so that someday I can show them how much I love them...stop the name calling, please, it doesn't help either side.

Stepping down of my soap box and leaving this thread altogether. I hope all sailing out of NY the next few weeks, have a great vacation and quickly forget how horrible we can be to each other!

What else can NCL do realistically while the disaster is still unfolding?????

They are awaiting instructions from US coastguard, and until water channels are cleared they won't know 100% when to dock. Their current concern is passengers on ships waiting to dock and the transport arrangements for these bearing in mind the huge backlog at airports.

From what I hear, NCL gave passengers the option for the Jewel of sailing through the storm, or refund/future cruise... so I imagine you will be offered this option, BUT only once details on docking are confirmed, and this WILL NOT happen until the port reopens. It is entirely possible the port will NOT open as planned. (I believe the port authority/coastguard are in the process of water channel surveys to check for obstructions which may damage cruise ships coming into dock)

OK, you should be on a cruise right now, however this has been postponed, and is possibly still sailing, from a port in a major disaster zone.

The best people to vent at are NCl... Have you checked about transferring to a different ship/itinary which will be definately running?

Cruisin's inability to empathize with the people from NY and NJ who are suffering DO NOT make him a troll.

You are right, his lack of empathy doesn't - his behavior on the thread does.

troll: One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

It also doesn't give everyone here the right to call him a troll.

I call 'em like I see 'em.

Don't forget that he is the "genious" that started the name-calling.

I cruised to Bermuda mid-September - our 3rd time there. It is a wonderful place to visit! The 7 day forecast for Bermuda shows daytime 73, nights 70. I think you will still be able to swim. The water will be brisk, but it normally is.

Things to do -

*Horseshoe Beach - one of the prettiest beaches ever

*Shopping and sight seeing downtown in Hamilton

*The Crystal Caves

*Charter a sailboat (we did this with 8 friends from St. Georges) - I can give details if intersted.

* The Dockyards - shopping, food and drink

I am so sorry that this terrible storm hit the northeast and that long awaited vacations were disrupted. I live near New Orleans and just experienced Hurricane Issac - no electricity for 6 days and no running water for 4. I experienced Hurricane Katrina and other hurricanes. My daughter lives in Manhattan is is currenlty without power. So...I get it.

If we want to talk about disappointment, my parents had to cancel a cruise that we were taking as a family, on the MORNING of the cruise because of illness. That's sucky.

Kathy

well, let me see, dh and i flew into nyc from the midwest on saturday, 10/27 for the sailing on monday, 10/29. We have been in the overpriced nyc hotel since then. We survived the hurricane without loosing power. We have walked the city streets until we almost know where we are going now.

Disappointed, yes we are, our 9 day cruise to four warm weather ports, two of which we have never been to and the other two are our favorites is now, maybe, going to be a 5 day to a mild (i hope) weather port that was never on my bucket list.

On the other hand, i still have my dh, children and grandchildren and we are all healthy. My home and business are still in one piece and it looks like ncl is going to do their best to help us salvage what we can of our vacation. They really don't have to do anything, if you read the fine print.

Having been on many cruises and three other cruise lines in addition to ncl and hearing the horror stories of other bad situations on other lines, i am feeling pretty good about what they are offering.

like. :)

I would be really unhappy about this change. I think that it should be a choice, your money back or a shortened cruise with partial refund. Bermuda in November, nope not fair. If November was a good time for Bermuda cruises then there would be scheduled November cruises. This deal stinks to me and I would do whatever I could to get my insurance to cover me instead of going on that cruise.

I agree with this. Money back or full credit for a future NCL cruise should be an option.

To all of you who don't like what I have to say: what would you do if you were me? I tree fell on my car and destroyed it. The train stations aren't fully operational and the ones that are partially running are a disaster. Most car services require 24 hours notice for booking. NCL isn't giving us the option for a refund or credit for future cruise. Instead they're shoving a 5 day trip down our throat and not even giving us 24 hour notice to get to the port. They're saying tomorrow provided the weather cooperates, yet Port Authority says the port is still closed. My insurance will only cover 75%. What should I do???

I have to say this thread is the most perfect display of man's inhumanity to man. I feel terrible for Cruisin and all the others whose vacations long fought for and well deserved are destroyed. I feel horrible for the families whose homes and lives have been forever changed because of the storm, but the name calling and disrespect on both sides of this is despicable. Cruisin's inability to empathize with the people from NY and NJ who are suffering DO NOT make him a troll. It also doesn't give everyone here the right to call him a troll. The name calling and disrespect is horrible. Cruisin is disappointed, not selfish. Taking stabs at his upbringing and his bitterness, does not make any of you any better than what you are saying he is. Because both sides believe they are right doesn't make you right and it doesn't give you the right to personally attack someone. I came back to this forum hoping somebody on either side would realize how ridiculous you all sound.

There's a very real possibility that my cruise will also be affected by this. If it is, that's going to suck...my life won't come to an end because of it, I will be frustrated, I will be disappointed, I will be sad, I may even be angry...however, I will still have to go to work, I will still have a family who loves me and I will still plan another vacation so that someday I can show them how much I love them...stop the name calling, please, it doesn't help either side.

Stepping down of my soap box and leaving this thread altogether. I hope all sailing out of NY the next few weeks, have a great vacation and quickly forget how horrible we can be to each other!

twinlges - You ROCK!!! Thanks for being the voice of reason and inserting a bit of compassion to this thread. Wishing you safe sailing and calm seas on all your cruises!

Jackie

We were in Bermuda two weeks ago. We went swimming each day. Check the sea temps on www.weather.com if you want to know exact forecast. Ocean was 80. Pools on ship are always 84. Hot tubs are always hot.

Great place for a vacation any month of the year.

Come back and book a caribbean vacation if you want HOT.

Just another reason to purchase travel insurance that covers any reason for cancelling--not just medical. It is available.

Hope our homeport of Boston was hospitable to all those passengers from the various cruiselines stuck here for days. Great city for a pub crawl. Hope you enjoyed your unexpected stay.

To all of you who don't like what I have to say: what would you do if you were me? I tree fell on my car and destroyed it. The train stations aren't fully operational and the ones that are partially running are a disaster. Most car services require 24 hours notice for booking. NCL isn't giving us the option for a refund or credit for future cruise. Instead they're shoving a 5 day trip down our throat and not even giving us 24 hour notice to get to the port. They're saying tomorrow provided the weather cooperates, yet Port Authority says the port is still closed. My insurance will only cover 75%. What should I do???

I would take the 75% from insurance and try to get some credit from NCL. I would get my car fixed and get off this message board and try to have a good weekend.

I would take the 75% from insurance and try to get some credit from NCL. I would get my car fixed and get off this message board and try to have a good weekend.

Maybe you can go see the wizard of oz & see if he can give you a heart. No need for your attitude!

What's your problem? I asked a simple question and that's what you fire back with?

I was talking about the OP!! While we're at it you could lose a bit of the attitude also. Try putting your thoughts & prayers with the people who have been devastated instead of childishly whining about our cruise & NCL. If you want to it wouldn't hurt to pray that the port cannot open & it would need to be cancelled.

I was talking about the OP!! While we're at it you could lose a bit of the attitude also. Try putting your thoughts & prayers with the people who have been devastated instead of childishly whining about our cruise & NCL. If you want to it wouldn't hurt to pray that the port cannot open & it would need to be cancelled.

You should have quoted that person then.

I have a tree as a roof ornament on my new car; it's completely destroyed. While I'm lucky to have minimal home damage, I'm not unscathed by this storm nor am I unsympathetic with everyone who was affected by Sandy. However, whether I was affected or not is completely irrelevant when talking about this cruise.

Archived